Beer

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Beer

Postby tatonka » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:08 pm

So ya can bring beer , but not walk around with glass bottles. So if I pour my beer into a metal container and leave the glass in the trailer then is that ok?
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Re: Beer

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:25 pm

If you gift beer to other people, it's good to give it in cans or distribute from kegs to cups that people have on themselves (everyone should know enough to have their own camping cup).

If you are a coordinated drinker and have a broom and a dustpan for any accidents, you can drink out of a glass bottle yourself without too much guilt. Most people bring a little glass (for fine liquor or champagne) and are very, very careful with it, and pack it out. Beer is usually drunk in greater volume, so a lot of folks bring in it cans. It's an easy place to make sacrifices . . . unless you are a beer connoisseur.

But yes, seriously minimize your glass use overall, and don't give it away, except perhaps a new bottle of liquor to your favorite bar. They won't let your glass hit the playa either.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby danibel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:45 pm

These days you can get very decent beer in cans. I brought a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada for my "treat" beer, and a 12 pack of Modelo for my "cheap" beer. PBR is even delicious when it's ice cold out of the cooler on a blazing hot day. Please, please, reconsider your glass beer choices and get something in cans. Make taste testing fun! Japanese beer comes in a can and is a great, if you can afford them.

Sunday morning on my way back to camp I passed a very nice man down on his hands and knees picking glass out of the playa with gloved hands. I wish I had gloves to stop and help, but I didn't. Hugs to that sweet man.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby tatonka » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:54 pm

thanks All ")
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby ambird » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:28 pm

We brought some homebrew in bottles just because that's the only way my husband can bring his beer out to the playa. Other than that we packed a ton of beer in cans. I 100% agree with Danibel that you can get many decent beers in cans now. Some canned brews that we enjoy all year long include Dale's Pale, Boonville Amber, Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada Pale, and 21st Amendment's Bitter American, Hell or High Watermelon, and Live Free or Die.

I think cans have several of advantages over bottles. Most importantly, you can recycle your cans at Recycle Camp instead of transporting them all the way home! Plus cans are a little lighter, and stack in your backpack more easily when you're on the go. :wink:
ambird

Burning Since: 2011

Postby danibel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:38 pm

ambird wrote:
I think cans have several of advantages over bottles. Most importantly, you can recycle your cans at Recycle Camp instead of transporting them all the way home! Plus cans are a little lighter, and stack in your backpack more easily when you're on the go. :wink:

I agree! I can fit 6 cans and some ice in a little lunch cooler that goes in my basket. Cans to recycle camp is also fabulous! Plus you can share your beers without having to worry about that bottle.

One problem with beer bottles vs. liquor bottles is that they are made much thinner. They break a lot easier :-/
In dust we trust.
danibel

Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:58 pm

danibel wrote:These days you can get very decent beer in cans. I brought a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada for my "treat" beer, and a 12 pack of Modelo for my "cheap" beer. PBR is even delicious when it's ice cold out of the cooler on a blazing hot day. Please, please, reconsider your glass beer choices and get something in cans. Make taste testing fun! Japanese beer comes in a can and is a great, if you can afford them.

I bring Sapporo in a can every year, and I love it! The first beer I was ever gifted on the playa, and very special for that reason (as well as pretty tasty).

Sunday morning on my way back to camp I passed a very nice man down on his hands and knees picking glass out of the playa with gloved hands. I wish I had gloves to stop and help, but I didn't. Hugs to that sweet man.

Oof. :shock: Indeed.

Savannah

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Coronas for in camp and Rollin Rock for on the go!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby piehole » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:31 pm

yeah, our camp leader did the alcohol shopping and ended up buying all bottled beer.
we didn't break a bottle while out there but it was a giant bitch to bring in and pack out.
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:22 am

ambird wrote:I think cans have several of advantages over bottles. Most importantly, you can recycle your cans at Recycle Camp instead of transporting them all the way home! Plus cans are a little lighter, and stack in your backpack more easily when you're on the go. :wink:

Another advantage when on the go is the empties can be stepped on and then become a light, compact mass in your moop bag.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Lonesomebri » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:53 am

A couple mornings i woke up and discovered flattened beer cans tucked in my pants pockets......glad it wasn't bottles.....

The best part about rules like "no bottles" is when they make sense, you do it because it's best for you and everybody, not because you hafta. I bring bottles, but not out on the open playa. This year I was offered a homebrew warm out of an aluminum water bottle.....delicious.......
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby wh..sh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:01 am

Lonesomebri wrote:A couple mornings i woke up and discovered flattened beer cans tucked in my pants pockets......glad it wasn't bottles.....

Few mornings, I found flattened beer cans in my coat pockets and in my backpack... but then I also found a bra... so, things don't really many sense.

It's like, you turn your back to people and bam! now you are a walking recycle bin!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:33 am

Who says you can't walk around with a bottle??
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby JStep » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:09 pm

~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Savannah » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:18 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Who says you can't walk around with a bottle??

This IS true . . . no one's going to smack the bottle out of your hand, or call the cops on ya for having a glass bottle. :lol:

Breaking a bottle--or giving single-serving glass bottles away--is usually where any cultural static starts.

Savannah

Postby piehole » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:18 pm

I don't think its a big deal to walk around w a bottle.
I just prefer the convenience of can disposal over bottle disposal.
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Postby piehole » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Savannah wrote:

This IS true . . . no one's going to smack the bottle out of your hand, or call the cops on ya for having a glass bottle. :lol:

Breaking a bottle--or giving single-serving glass bottles away--is usually where any cultural static starts.

Last edited by piehole on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
piehole

Postby illy dilly » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Damn Straight!
Would you really want to drink Champagne that comes in a can?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby piehole » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:27 pm

illy dilly wrote:

Damn Straight!

CANPAGNE

OH MY GOD LETS INVENT THIs
piehole

Postby illy dilly » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:34 pm

piehole wrote:
illy dilly wrote:

Damn Straight!

CANPAGNE

OH MY GOD LETS INVENT THIs

O SHIT YA'LL!
We're about to be rich!

Jungle Smacks, this puts a whole new meaning to "Case of Champagne!"

You call your liqour store and ask: "Do ya'll have cases of champagne"
"do you want Canpagne or champagne"
"Um... One of each?"
"Yeah we got that."
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby piehole » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:39 pm

30 Racks of champagne
This is dangerous
:shock:
piehole

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:44 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby piehole » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:49 pm

" And whilst Greg Stokes and Steve Barics of Wine Barokes are in talks with several European wine produces, the chances of champagne being sold in this manner in the near future are looking pretty slim.

Indeed, the CIVC (Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne), is quick to reassure that the specifications of producing and selling champagne is extremely specific. And the industry is not ready to make the move to canned champagne products just yet."

Not yet!!
I'm telling you this is an untapped niche market.
piehole

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Of course, you can always do it with Asti-Martin...

And um there's boxes, too.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:19 pm

piehole wrote:yeah, our camp leader did the alcohol shopping and ended up buying all bottled beer.
we didn't break a bottle while out there but it was a giant bitch to bring in and pack out.

Yeah, I brought about 30 gallons of homebrew in bottles and they're a pain in the ass to pack out. Cans would be sooooo much easier, since you can crush them and/or take them to recycle camp. No breakages in 4 years, but I never go out of camp with bottles.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Savannah » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:23 pm

I find that the safest route is to fill a camelback with an entire bottle of champagne, and to then drink it as fast as possible, before the bubbles die.

Savannah

Postby illy dilly » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Savannah wrote:I find that the safest route is to fill a camelback with an entire bottle of champagne, and to then drink it as fast as possible, before the bubbles die.

:shock:
It doesn't just keep expanding the camel pack tell the seams on the bladder break?
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm totally prevaricating here; I hate wearing a camelback. :D

I actually like to pop open a bottle, find another person or two with an empty cup, fill theirs, then pop the crazy straw into the bottle and drink whatever's left. Need a new glass? Pop open the next bottle!

Savannah

Postby piehole » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:08 pm

at dinner tonight i brought up that if i could only drink one alcoholic beverage for the rest of my life, it would be champagne.

that's dedication
piehole

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:39 pm

You may thank me for authoring Recycle Camp's first web page back in 1997, recommending canned beverages. Or not.

True, nobody's going to smack that glass dildo engorged with mass-produced froth out of your mouth. The question is whether you understand the consequences of broken bottles on the ground for you, your campmates, visitors, DPW, or whoever else gets it in the foot, hand or tire tread picking up after you or whomever you "gift" a glass-bottled beer. When DPW gets it, weeks after you pranced off in search of your next rave festicle, the rain or the water trucks will have cemented those two or three hundred shards of cheap defective glass in the clay of the playa. Then picture your Leave-No-Trace DPW proxy prone on the desert ground in the chilly winds of late September, clothed in haphazard ripped garments and economy gloves, prying each barely-visible fragment of YOUR FUCKING BEER BOTTLE out of the fragile earth with an ersatz pig-sticker, for no other reason than to faithfully fulfill the BLM permit stipulations so you beer snobs can pose around for camp pictures next year waving bottles with some blubbery Belgian monk or a meaningless purity statement about "beechwood aging" or "sky-blue waters" on the label.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Next

Return to Food & Drink