the Don't Tell Me My Idea Is Crazy thread

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: the Don't Tell Me My Idea Is Crazy thread

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:33 am

Re: plastics, this is one of my favorites:
http://www.snowcrest.net/finleyfryer/chapel/
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Theraplst » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:04 am

An art installation!

It'd be around 1 o'clock and halfway between the temple and trash fence, maybe closer to the fence. Get two realistic mannikins, one boy one girl, and a blanket. Set them up in some crazy sex position on the blanket and put some LED lit clothing laying around them. I imagine most people will avoid it.

also maybe put some moter doohickeys to make them look alive and moving.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 am

Ano wrote:I want to ride a polar bear bike next year.

Also, I want to live on L street and set up an End of the World bar. I'll play live 1970s rock concerts on a projector and serve dusty booze.

If only I had burner friends!

What, Ano? ;)
You don't have burner friends?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:42 am

Theraplst wrote:An art installation!

It'd be around 1 o'clock and halfway between the temple and trash fence, maybe closer to the fence. Get two realistic mannikins, one boy one girl, and a blanket. Set them up in some crazy sex position on the blanket and put some LED lit clothing laying around them. I imagine most people will avoid it.

It would be conceptual art if you didn't light it and somebody ran over it.
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:52 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:

Also, I want to live on L street and set up an End of the World bar. I'll play live 1970s rock concerts on a projector and serve dusty booze.

What, Ano? ;)

They were eaten by the polar bear.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Comrade Bunny » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:01 pm

I've been asked to design a theme camp for a group of veteran burners. I'm a Birgin and 2013 will be my first burn. So, I'm hoping it all works out.

Our camp is "Camp Mosquito Lake." It's basically a summer camp on a lake in Minnesota. The center of the camp will hold Mosquito Lake (which I will be creating with tarps and appliques). The tents are the cabins. We will have a mess hall tent, a boat house, and a camp fire ring (where we will have sing-alongs and storytelling performances). It's still in the beginning stages. I'd love some input and ideas. Thanks.
"This is good, old-fashioned, nightmare fuel." -Crow T. Robot
Comrade Bunny

Postby Ano » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:19 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:

What, Ano? ;)

None in my area other than my girlfriend, and the rest of the people I know from the burn are kind of solo-doers and do their own thing. I'm sort of on my own at the moment, and I also have zero construction skills, no money, and not much time. That being said, I'll figure it out....
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby Theraplst » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Theraplst wrote:An art installation!

It would be conceptual art if you didn't light it and somebody ran over it.

Too right. It'd be well lit I think. a long lit e-wire puddled around somewhere, some LED glasses chillen in a corner, blinky lights and such all over the place.

I got the idea after being in a similar situation and being approached by a drunken man searching for a wrench(???) And I think it'd be fun to see people's reactions to the place overnight, maybe put in a nightvision camera somewhere obscured, to film people approaching or walking away from the installation.

For the record, steal this idea, I probably won't have the funds necessary to realize it.

maybe pm me if you're gonna though.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:17 am

Comrade Bunny wrote:I've been asked to design a theme camp for a group of veteran burners. I'm a Birgin and 2013 will be my first burn. So, I'm hoping it all works out.

Our camp is "Camp Mosquito Lake." It's basically a summer camp on a lake in Minnesota. The center of the camp will hold Mosquito Lake (which I will be creating with tarps and appliques). The tents are the cabins. We will have a mess hall tent, a boat house, and a camp fire ring (where we will have sing-alongs and storytelling performances). It's still in the beginning stages. I'd love some input and ideas. Thanks.

That might bring back some memories. Lake Cass for instance? I do a great loon imitation.
Ugly Dougly

Postby VultureChow » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:23 am

Comrade Bunny wrote:I've been asked to design a theme camp for a group of veteran burners. I'm a Birgin and 2013 will be my first burn. So, I'm hoping it all works out.

A canoe art car.

Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby unjonharley » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:35 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
That might bring back some memories. Lake Cass for instance? I do a great loon imitation.

Spell check.. loon(y) :wink:
unjonharley

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:33 am

Ano wrote:Also, I want to live on L street and set up an End of the World bar. I'll play live 1970s rock concerts on a projector and serve dusty booze.

Camp Threat is located on L, but that is where the party begin. Last year, 2011, we set up a bar out at point 3 on the trash fence, it was listed in the Guide; Last Bar on Earth. Yes, the booze was very dusty.
Next year I would like to set up the First Bar on the Playa along the fence, welcoming our comrades who have struggled across the barren wasteland, avoiding the forces of law and order, handing the ticketless their first cold drink as they climb the fence. Then, abiding by the 10 principle, we will promply turn you over to the authorities.
LastBarOnEarth 3 (Small).jpg
Last Bar on Earth 2011
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Straightveg » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:37 pm

So 2012 was my first year, and I've had one idea bouncing around in my head for around a year before I made it to the playa, two ideas that hit me while I was there, and one that came from a movie I saw the other day.

First, and my highest priority (several years from now is my best guestimate for execution) is mutant vehicle Serenity. For those of you who've seen the tv show Firefly or or the movie Serenity, you understand how super shiny that'd be.

Second project was inspired by the storm in the middle of the night this year, a thunderstorm mutant vehicle/art car consisting of dark clouds, thunderstorm music/sound effects, strobe lights for lightning, and a mister system.

The third project might actually happen in the next couple years if I can get in contact with the folks I brainstormed it with on playa. The mobile mosh pit was inspired by the noticeable absence of moshable music in my experience this year. It would consist of an mp3 player, wireless transmitter, and wireless speakers distributed either through backpacks or on bikes. Form a circle, hit the music, MOSH.

So I might have a minor case of second year megalomania...
Black Rock City or Bust Dust!
Straightveg

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Straightveg wrote:The third project might actually happen in the next couple years if I can get in contact with the folks I brainstormed it with on playa. The mobile mosh pit was inspired by the noticeable absence of moshable music in my experience this year. It would consist of an mp3 player, wireless transmitter, and wireless speakers distributed either through backpacks or on bikes. Form a circle, hit the music, MOSH.

I think that "MOSH" might need one of these after it--!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:Next year I would like to set up the First Bar on the Playa along the fence, welcoming our comrades who have struggled across the barren wasteland, avoiding the forces of law and order, handing the ticketless their first cold drink as they climb the fence. Then, abiding by the 10 principle, we will promply turn you over to the authorities.

How romantic.
Ugly Dougly

Postby ygmir » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:Next year I would like to set up the First Bar on the Playa along the fence, welcoming our comrades who have struggled across the barren wasteland, avoiding the forces of law and order, handing the ticketless their first cold drink as they climb the fence. Then, abiding by the 10 principle, we will promply turn you over to the authorities.

How romantic.

CAN I help?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby graidawg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:12 pm

I was thinking of setting up a lounge bar type area out in the playa and it only being open from noon till 2 - serving Gin n tonics or some other "English" type drink. I would call it Mad Dogs.

perhaps a shade like a big parasol or something and a wallah to work the fan. its just an idea at the moment as I'm not very good at creating things
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:17 pm

maybe you can get Big Blue Doggy out there, too. And play Noel Coward in the background.
I bet it would be something a little wonderful to randomly run into.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:31 pm

graidawg wrote:I was thinking of setting up a lounge bar type area out in the playa and it only being open from noon till 2 - serving Gin n tonics or some other "English" type drink. I would call it Mad Dogs.

perhaps a shade like a big parasol or something and a wallah to work the fan. its just an idea at the moment as I'm not very good at creating things

I happen to have a 90' diameter cammo parachute
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby graidawg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:maybe you can get Big Blue Doggy out there, too. And play Noel Coward in the background.

Noel Coward in the background would be just the ticket! thats the sort of thing i wanted, obvoiusly it would require suitable costume (suit, stiff collar, shirt and tie. etc) I think chairs would really need some compromise and be just folding chairs of some sort.
ygmir wrote:
graidawg wrote:perhaps a shade like a big parasol or something and a wallah to work the fan. its just an idea at the moment as I'm not very good at creating things

. That would probably be a little bigger than i could cope with. Unless i made it a permanant "art" structure. Though i'm not sure how could work that. If it was smaller, say big enough for 4 or 5 people to sit in comfort, with a table (a cooler in disguise perhaps) and just one or two types of drink - gin (martinis or with tonic) and vodka perhaps (again with tonic and martinis) and iced tea for those not allowed alcohol in the state of Nevada. its not a bar as such so under age can be there just not drinking alcohol right?

My dear friend does a neat trick of putting tea bags into bottles of water. which would be Even more English.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
graidawg

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:20 pm

graidawg wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:maybe you can get Big Blue Doggy out there, too. And play Noel Coward in the background.

Noel Coward in the background would be just the ticket! thats the sort of thing i wanted, obvoiusly it would require suitable costume (suit, stiff collar, shirt and tie. etc) I think chairs would really need some compromise and be just folding chairs of some sort.
ygmir wrote:
graidawg wrote:perhaps a shade like a big parasol or something and a wallah to work the fan. its just an idea at the moment as I'm not very good at creating things

. That would probably be a little bigger than i could cope with. Unless i made it a permanant "art" structure. Though i'm not sure how could work that. If it was smaller, say big enough for 4 or 5 people to sit in comfort, with a table (a cooler in disguise perhaps) and just one or two types of drink - gin (martinis or with tonic) and vodka perhaps (again with tonic and martinis) and iced tea for those not allowed alcohol in the state of Nevada. its not a bar as such so under age can be there just not drinking alcohol right?

My dear friend does a neat trick of putting tea bags into bottles of water. which would be Even more English.

I think this is a really wonderful idea, especially the name of the bar, the suit, and keeping it to just a few drinks (including one non-alcoholic for the minors/abstainers; if you're far out they might be thirsty, too!)

There are some wooden folding chairs that look old-fashioned, and might be kinda neat. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Patsh » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Savannah wrote:if you're far out they might be thirsty, too!)

Come, now, dear Savannah...
you already know Grai is far out!! :wink:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby graidawg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:58 am

Triken wrote:
Savannah wrote:if you're far out they might be thirsty, too!)

Come, now, dear Savannah...
you already know Grai is far out!! :wink:

why thank you! 8)
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:06 am

I'd suggest wicker, but the moop nazis might turn you around at Gate.

Don't forget the Pimm's.

Bob

Postby graidawg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:19 am

Bob wrote:I'd suggest wicker, but the moop nazis might turn you around at Gate.

Don't forget the Pimm's.

oh pimms, noel coward and uncomfortable chairs - this idea is coming together!
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:28 am

graidawg wrote:
Bob wrote:I'd suggest wicker, but the moop nazis might turn you around at Gate.

Don't forget the Pimm's.

oh pimms, noel coward and uncomfortable chairs - this idea is coming together!

Crowd-sourcing your crazy idea: pricelesssly.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:33 am

Wouldn't you want some of those combination folding chair / cane / rat-trap things?

Just add tennis balls over the tips and Robert's your father's brother.

Bob

Postby graidawg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:36 am

Bob wrote:Wouldn't you want some of those combination folding chair / cane / rat-trap things?

that looks suitably uncomfortable
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:39 am

You don't want guests falling asleep in comfy chairs whilst your ice goes melting.

And you never know, a cricket match could break out.

Bob

Postby unjonharley » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:46 am

Bob wrote:Wouldn't you want some of those combination folding chair / cane / rat-trap things?

those chairs collapse with a person 200lb or more.. voice of experience here.
unjonharley

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Theme Camps