E-Playa Bicycle Fleet?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: E-Playa Bicycle Fleet?

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Oo. :shock:

Let us be a girl gang. We need little metallic dust-colored satin jackets.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Patsh » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:45 pm

Savannah wrote:Oo. :shock:

(I'll bring the dust...)
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby unjonharley » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Triken wrote:

(I'll bring the dust...)

Shades of Grease???
unjonharley

Postby Nipple » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:40 am

Elliot wrote:
Finally, there is something called HUB GEARS. In my father’s youth, he had a bicycle with two hub gears. Then for several decades the standard was three hub gears. Now there are rear wheel hubs with as many as 15 gears inside. From the outside, the bicycle looks like a single-speed. I like hub gears. They are reliable and easy to use. There is one shifter, and the chain never moves except round and round.

If I ever find myself with a bunch of cash to spend and no where to put it, I'll probably get one of my unicycle wheels relaced with a Schlumpf hub (A steal at a mere $1600 USD!). It's great having a gear on your wheel to go from 1:1 (1 pedal revolution, to 1 wheel revolution) to 1:1.5! Suddenly your 36" wheel is a functional 54" wheel and you're moving faster than you can run if you fall off the front!
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 am

Consider nuvinci
gyre

Postby Nipple » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:59 am

Their price point is sure better than Schlumpf. The problem with it though, is I'm betting all of their rear hub gears are free-wheelers, which is rad for a bicycle but a unicycle has to be direct drive in both directions, with no coasting. The forward and backward pedaling is used to keep the unicycle under you. You're basically falling forward, but you never hit the ground. That's maintained by adding a little more or less umpf into your spinning.

(It's also why you fall off the front when you're going as fast as you can. You hit a rock, and your wheel loses speed, but you don't... so you need to pedal a little faster to keep the wheel under you. It kind of advances forwards from there by degrees, until you're trying to run as fast as you were going, or until you're trying to just lift your feet fast enough to stay upgright, or until you're rolling on the pavement leaving some skin behind.)
Nipple

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:02 am

unjonharley wrote:
Triken wrote:

(I'll bring the dust...)

Shades of Grease???

EXACTLY.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Nipple » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:06 am

This very moment, somewhere... chills are multiplying.
Nipple

Postby Snow » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:32 pm

I'm an avid biker, mechanic and welder. I hack up a lot of frames for various creations and have parts I can donate. I can offer skills (with tools) to help out.

I'm near sacramento right now, but my GF has family in clearlake and I have some property in fort bragg so I'm in your neighborhood from time to time.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Elliot » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm

Well, stop by sometime! Just PM me when you plan a trip this way.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby TT120 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:20 pm

I just picked up my first 2 parts bikes. I'm gonna use the wheels off the little BMX bike for a trailer I'm going to make for my bike to haul around parts and beer. The rest will be parted out and I'll keep the little parts for the burn next year.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Elliot » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:15 pm

:D
Tinkering with a couple of bicycles today, I was reminded of a common and serious problem. This applies to bicycles with coaster brake – where you pedal backward to stop. Here is the problem:

That lever is there for a reason, and it must be attached. It is the torque arm for the brake, and all the braking force goes thru it. If it is not fastened, there is only the friction of the axle nuts to resist the braking force, and the whole hub will soon rotate, causing all manner of mayhem. So please make sure it is fastened with a secure bolt-and-nut thru the arm and the little clamp, like this:

If the clamp is missing, you can use almost any scrap of metal to rig a new one; precision not required, only strength. On some bicycles there is a bracket welded onto the frame instead, eliminating the problem of misplacing the clamp.

While we are at it, here is yet another reason to put a luggage rack on the back of a bicycle:

Yes, it is far too easy to life a bicycle by the saddle, and it is common for me to have to replace broken saddles. The saddle “pan” is often made of cheap plastic and breaks easily. This happens soon enough from sitting on the saddle -- no sense speeding the arrival of that day by pulling upward also. This one is already completely broken on one side and half way there on the other. You don’t want to be riding it when the other side also separates. So install a luggage rack and grab it to lift the bicycle.

Finally, pedals.... The plastic ones made these days are truly crappy. So keep an eye out for old bicycles with steel pedals. These pedals have rubber to step on, but the frame of the pedal is steel. And they have proper ball bearings. I sometimes pick up a junk ten-speed just for the pedals.
To replace pedals you need a 15 MM open-end wrench. The pedal on the left side of the bicycle has left-hand threads.
There are two sizes of threads on pedals; one for one-piece cranks and an other for three-piece cranks. Not interchangeable, except that adapters do exist -- ... -- just get the correct kind.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Milayna » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks for the great advice, and thanks VERY much for the pictures. I'm going to go inspect my bike :)
Milayna

Postby Saguache » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Elliot wrote:Finally, pedals.... The plastic ones made these days are truly crappy. So keep an eye out for old bicycles with steel pedals. These pedals have rubber to step on, but the frame of the pedal is steel. And they have proper ball bearings. I sometimes pick up a junk ten-speed just for the pedals.
To replace pedals you need a 15 MM open-end wrench. The pedal on the left side of the bicycle has left-hand threads.
There are two sizes of threads on pedals; one for one-piece cranks and an other for three-piece cranks. Not interchangeable, except that adapters do exist -- ... -- just get the correct kind.

Hallelujah, about the pedals. One of the first things I recommend replacing on a bike that has plastic pedals because if they haven't already broken, they will shortly.
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time
Saguache

Previous

Return to 2013 Theme Camps