Tool Kit - What's needed ?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Tool Kit - What's needed ?

Postby peyote2004 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:57 am

otakup0pe wrote:... The one tool I definitely missed was a wrecking bar to pull my playa staples out of the ground. ..

I've seen a few posts on the boards where people mentioned playa staples. What are they, and what is the advantage over rebar?

I was just planning on having my brother-in-law cut and candy cane some rebar for me, but if I can find something that may be better, and less weight to transport, I'd definitely consider it.
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby Zhust » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:38 am

peyote2004 wrote:I've seen a few posts on the boards where people mentioned playa staples. What are they, and what is the advantage over rebar?

I was just planning on having my brother-in-law cut and candy cane some rebar for me, but if I can find something that may be better, and less weight to transport, I'd definitely consider it.

I believe they are 2-legged things — bent into a squared-off U-shape. I'm not sure what the advantage is, and if that advantage is applicable (e.g. more holding power may not be necessary).

Note also that "candy-caning" rebar is the wrong mental model. The long arc of a candy-cane makes it nearly impossible to hammer in: you're hitting at the peak of the arc (e.g. at the point where the tangent is perpendicular to the straight part of the rebar) and there's a few inches of bend that absorbs your impacts like a spring.

What you want to do is to heat it up and kink it at a sharp angle. When you hammer on the angle, most of the force gets directed to drive in the stake.

If you're going to be buying rebar, don't. Buy smooth(ish) steel rod instead. It's less brittle, anchors just as well, and pulls out a bit easier. The ridges on the rebar don't add to its anchoring strength (the anchoring force should be perpendicular to the driven angle, so ideally a rope at 45 degrees should come off a stake hammered in at 45 degrees.) You'd never be anchoring to rely on the stake "pulling straight out" but rather "plowing through" the Playa at an angle.

I made a "rebar kinking tool" and documented it a bit since I didn't have a torch with enough heat to soften the steel.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby BBadger » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:41 am

I'll have to remember to bring a metal plate for leverage so I can pull out the kink-tipped stakes with the breaker bar. The plywood I used this year would splinter so I had to find other solutions.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:17 am

peyote2004 wrote:
otakup0pe wrote:... The one tool I definitely missed was a wrecking bar to pull my playa staples out of the ground. ..

I've seen a few posts on the boards where people mentioned playa staples. What are they, and what is the advantage over rebar?

Google "playa staples".
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:26 am

Bob wrote:
peyote2004 wrote:

Google "playa staples".

Peanut butter, crackers, tasty bites, electrolyte powder...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:45 am

I've had no problem heating steel (up to 1/2" rebar or square bar stock) to dark cherry red with a standard plumbing torch, with 3/4" plumbing pipe slipped over the ends, propped on bricks, to get a pretty tight U-bend. One out of ten might break. Slightly pointing the tips with an angle grinder helps for pounding in. If you use 24" pieces, put the bend at ~14"/10" to 16"/8" so you can start the stake in the ground more easily and still seat the short end in firm ground. Pound flush with the ground surface and you don't have to worry about gashing feet on the exposed top. Remove by knocking w/ a hammer then levering it out w/ a medium-sized crowbar and a scrap of 3/4" plywood or decking board as a fulcrum. You should have a few scraps of wood anyway so you can use a car jack on funky ground.

Catching up -- yes, duct tape is never the answer if you're relying on it for anything more than a small amount of adhesion and shear strength on suitable surfaces, but it's helpful for wrapping off baling wire or other pointy things in high-traffic areas. Can be removed by slicing the wad with a utility knife, a la Gordian knots. Don't forget extra utility knife blades.

Re: hammers, bring one you can swing with one hand. You can always switch to two hands when you get a stake started. Assuming you have hands.

Bob

Postby Oldguy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:47 pm

A nice, strong, lockable box ( with a lock ); so that tools don't go " walking off".
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby trilobyte » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:49 pm

I bring a pretty full toolkit as well, with a solid mix of hand tools and power tools. There's also a few kinds and colors of tape in the tool bins, as well as bulk quantities of zip ties in a couple sizes to cover camp/project needs.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby gyre » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:54 pm

gyre

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:51 am

gyre wrote:Image

Do I need all of those for my Monkey Yurt Car Port? Can I get a buhrnurh discount?

Bob

Postby BBadger » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:47 am

Wow, those look like those CrapsCraftsman tools they sell these days, like the $120 auto-hammer for nailing on the inner corner of joints!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks