One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby ambird » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:04 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I've been thinking about one as well. Where did you buy? What one did you get?

I bought mine on ebay through Button Boy. It's a Tecre model and makes 1 1/4" buttons. I bought a package that included the punch cutter to cut out the paper circles. It also came with a TON of button-making pieces (1,000 I think, so I'll be good for a while, hopefully!). The process of making the buttons is pretty much foolproof and every button turns out beautiful and professional looking. It was super expensive, but I've already had hours of enjoyment playing with it and giving out buttons to friends. :D
ambird

Burning Since: 2011

Postby SquirrelHead » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:33 am

wh..sh wrote:How did I miss meeting you SquirrelHead! I was hoping to catch you in your tutu.

I missed meeting so many people out there. I needed a full month to get everything I wanted done and meet all the people I had on my list. Just thinking about my tutu makes me "squeeeeeee!!!". I loved it!! It was made even better on Tuesday night when a sweet woman named Buttery from a neighboring camp gifted me the fishnets I thought needed to go with it. :twisted: The very sad thing is that I totally did not get a picture of the whole thing. It is lovingly stored in a huge zip lock bag with 2 anti static sheets so that it is ready for next year so I will have to get a pic then.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:48 am

Jeeze Squirrelhead, I couldn't swing a dead cat without running into you! And I think fishnet stockings and a tutu are to die for. Wh...sh, you simply needed to try harder. And look up next time.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby wh..sh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 am

SquirrelHead wrote:
wh..sh wrote:How did I miss meeting you SquirrelHead! I was hoping to catch you in your tutu.

I missed meeting so many people out there. I needed a full month to get everything I wanted done and meet all the people I had on my list. Just thinking about my tutu makes me "squeeeeeee!!!". I loved it!! It was made even better on Tuesday night when a sweet woman named Buttery from a neighboring camp gifted me the fishnets I thought needed to go with it. :twisted: The very sad thing is that I totally did not get a picture of the whole thing. It is lovingly stored in a huge zip lock bag with 2 anti static sheets so that it is ready for next year so I will have to get a pic then.

:D Damn!! I saw a picture of you from MnG and really kicked myself for not getting to say hi.

Dr. Pyro wrote:Wh...sh, you simply needed to try harder. And look up next time.

*nods head* I was also hit by ADD.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby SquirrelHead » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Jeeze Squirrelhead, I couldn't swing a dead cat without running into you! And I think fishnet stockings and a tutu are to die for. Wh...sh, you simply needed to try harder. And look up next time.

Awwwww You are missing me aren't you Doc? :lol:
SquirrelHead

Postby International Incident » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Started investigating the Box Truck camping idea. The more I look at it the more I like the idea.
International Incident

Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby SquirrelHead » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:36 pm

International Incident wrote:Started investigating the Box Truck camping idea. The more I look at it the more I like the idea.

It was so easy and comfortable. You could sleep in later then people in tents.
SquirrelHead

Postby graidawg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 pm

wh..sh wrote:*nods head* I was also hit by ADD.

I was hit by that too (Activities i Didn't Do)
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby EmilyD » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:57 pm

HA! ADD... (Activities Didn't Do!) good one.

Hey where are photos of the M&G? I didn't take a single one myself and would love to see what got captured.
EmilyD

Postby Milayna » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:40 pm

I am currently researching cotton candy makers for the playa next year. I saw a girl walking around with cotton candy this year, and ever since that moment have become obsessed with the idea of setting up a cotton candy booth!!! :D :D
Milayna

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:50 pm

took a bunch of useless stuff to the dump in preparation for evacuating this florida life
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Postby EmilyD » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Milayna wrote:I am currently researching cotton candy makers for the playa next year. I saw a girl walking around with cotton candy this year, and ever since that moment have become obsessed with the idea of setting up a cotton candy booth!!! :D :D

YUM! A great idea.

clocksnmirrors, I've been piling up gobs of scrap wood, old plastic tarps and other crap that needs to go to the dump so I can relate to that purge mentality. It's really freeing! Here's to a safe, easy move to Reno for you!
EmilyD

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:32 am

EmilyD wrote:clocksnmirrors, I've been piling up gobs of scrap wood, old plastic tarps and other crap that needs to go to the dump so I can relate to that purge mentality. It's really freeing! Here's to a safe, easy move to Reno for you!

thanks!

actually i'm thinking more likely albuquerque or somewhere around there. when i was driving through i had a really good feeling about that area

purging feels GREAT!!! it's like getting a new start
clocksnmirrors

Postby AntiM » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:53 am

Santa Fe would be better.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:02 am

Taos is where the "Earthships" are! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby EmilyD » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:27 am

Wow, a major climate change for you clocksnmirrors! Follow your heart!

Make sure to visit this wonderful little museum outside Albuquerque:

http://tinkertown.com/?page_id=47
EmilyD

Postby clocksnmirrors » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:11 pm

AntiM wrote:Santa Fe would be better.

whyso?

FIGJAM wrote:Taos is where the "Earthships" are! 8)

beam me up?

EmilyD wrote:Wow, a major climate change for you clocksnmirrors! Follow your heart!
Make sure to visit this wonderful little museum outside Albuquerque:
http://tinkertown.com/?page_id=47

thanks, em!! that looks delightful. i'll have to check it out!
clocksnmirrors

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:14 pm

IIRC AntiM has visited both and find Taos too touristy/new agey.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Santa Fe is a nice artist town, funky, in the mountains so the heat isn't as oppressive. Albuquerque is out on a broad valley floor, wide open, hot and very dusty. Very congested compared to the smaller, cozier towns. Taos is a ski town, and yeah, Santa Fe was more my style.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby clocksnmirrors » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:35 pm

AntiM wrote:Santa Fe is a nice artist town, funky, in the mountains so the heat isn't as oppressive. Albuquerque is out on a broad valley floor, wide open, hot and very dusty. Very congested compared to the smaller, cozier towns. Taos is a ski town, and yeah, Santa Fe was more my style.

i have to be honest, heat appeals to me. easier to go naked. i'll have to check out santa fe. sounds interesting....
clocksnmirrors

Postby unjonharley » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Picked up a battery operated strobe light @ caned food warehouse..
It will fit under the peddle crank on the playa bike.. Just another way to fend off the big art cars.. Should show bright off the playa floor..
unjonharley

Postby VultureChow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Found a box that I hadn't unpacked yet. Got a little teary as the dust wafted up and I saw my bright orange Foxfur-stenciled shirt.

Got a string of rgb led pixels, and was able to get them hooked up to an arduino. They look awesome. I have some experience as a programmer, so was able to get them cycling through some cool patterns.

Now to teach myself how to solder. The goal is a programmable rgb leb welding helmet:
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Picked up a pattern for spirit hood type hats.

Bought fabric to make some playa pants because mini skirts just don't cut it late night when its cold and I definitely lacked enough long pants this year. In various weights top match the warmth to the temperature - two in cotton, one in fleece, and one in something that feels like chenille and matches my playa coat.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Postby danibel » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
Bought fabric to make some playa pants because mini skirts just don't cut it late night when its cold and I definitely lacked enough long pants this year. In various weights top match the warmth to the temperature - two in cotton, one in fleece, and one in something that feels like chenille and matches my playa coat.

My goal before the next burn is to find good warm pants for night time. This year Thursday night was nice and warm and I was fine in my school girl outfit until we went to camp and bed at 3ish. But all the other nights I had to wear my dark skinny jeans to make sure I was warm enough while out treking. I'm thinking maybe leather... anyone have any ideas for how to keep the bottom parts warm at night while still being "fashionable?" Maybe leggings and skirts - ala steam punk style?
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Oldguy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:23 pm

I got a 30 gal. plastic barrell that has a springclamp lid, and a small thread cap to put in a spigot or a handpump. I can use it to haul wet or dry.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:25 pm

danibel wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:

My goal before the next burn is to find good warm pants for night time. This year Thursday night was nice and warm and I was fine in my school girl outfit until we went to camp and bed at 3ish. But all the other nights I had to wear my dark skinny jeans to make sure I was warm enough while out treking. I'm thinking maybe leather... anyone have any ideas for how to keep the bottom parts warm at night while still being "fashionable?" Maybe leggings and skirts - ala steam punk style?

Polypropylene long johns work well if you have specific fashions you want to wear. Personally I prefer pajama style pants and just plan to sew up some in fabrics I like, and maybe dress them up with fur trim or something.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Postby Savannah » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:36 pm

One could use an amusing combination of footless tights, tall socks and/or stockings in order to be able to layer flexibly under a skirt. Sometimes I look at packages these things are sold in, and note how the model is technically wearing three products at a time. :) (Such as one pair of capri length tights, a pair of knee high socks and a pair of thigh high fishnets). That must get warm.

Many pairs of tights are a little short to begin with, and deserve to be made footless anyway. Or sometimes I end up with tights that pinch in the waist or are somehow annoying, but could be made into stockings and held up with a garter belt, or made into tubes (for legwarmers).
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Savannah wrote:One could use an amusing combination of footless tights, tall socks and/or stockings in order to be able to layer flexibly under a skirt. Sometimes I look at packages these things are sold in, and note how the model is technically wearing three products at a time. :) (Such as one pair of capri length tights, a pair of knee high socks and a pair of thigh high fishnets). That must get warm.

Many pairs of tights are a little short to begin with, and deserve to be made footless anyway. Or sometimes I end up with tights that pinch in the waist or are somehow annoying, but could be made into stockings and held up with a garter belt, or made into tubes (for legwarmers).

I bet half the boys and a chunk of the girls are drooling now...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Oldguy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Yep, and those crotchless pantyhose do not droop in the middle.

( Inner sleazoid emerges and then steps back into the dark alley of his mind. )
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Decanted pluot vodka infusion for tomorrow's meet 'n' greet.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks