2013 live action zombie water maze art brainstorm!

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

2013 live action zombie water maze art brainstorm!

Postby VividLiving » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:30 pm

I have had this idea for years and i want to make it a reality on the playa in 2013.

this is one version of the original idea that i need help with.
so, imagine this:
your riding at night in the playa and then attracted to this giant, at least 400 foot long, 15 feet tall square maze. black. pvc pipe and painted mesh that you cant quite see through, weighted down with cinder blocks. in this version, tarp is the floor throughout the maze.
you hear extremely creepy music. you see eerie lights, maybe fog and lots of screams. there are two entrances right next to each other, the door on the left says "Persephone's gift." on the left of the door is a long line of water guns.
you walk to the door with the sign and guns, the lady at the gate tells you, "As you can hear, there is a giant celebratory rave in the center, you have to fight hordes of zombies to get to it. you will be given a bracelet and a water gun, use very sparingly, there will be refill stations along the way. collect checkpoints from guardian angels through the maze and you can enter the rave through the other entrance without going through the maze again."
she gives you a gun, straps on the chain and sends you in.
through a curtain you are faced with a black light glow of uncertainty. the wall at the end of the hall states, "zombies are an unnatural concept, they represent things that live long past when they are supposed to die. tonight, you will use water, your emotion, confront and kill all those things that haunt you."

the first zombie groans and reaches around the corner, you scream and pull the trigger. the zombie goes down and you quickly walk by. approaching the next corner you heart starts to pound. you whip by, your safe. at the end of the glowing striped hall, you see a white door marked 9. the handle is right there, you need to open it, you know you need to open it. a scream ahead makes you shake, you twist and shove the door open, nothing. the music is getting you pumped, you start to race ahead, the glowing patterns on the walls change shape. a zombie walks around the end of the hall, oddly looks like an old boss of yours, you quickly take him out. the next corner you turn a quick right and scream! it is your own reflection. nerves shaken you continue down the open path. you notice that your water gun is getting low, you pass through two more doors. your at a purple door, marked 7. this one has a peep hole. you see a person wearing all white with wings at the end of the hall. next to them is a water cooler, its the ammunition station. they are placed on the outer walls of the maze so they could be refilled easily through the wall. you fearlessly open the door, make your way to the angel. she asks for your chain and attaches a trinket showing you made it to the first check point. she takes the gun and refills it. she offers you assistance if something has been troubling you thus far. she gives you cryptic clues for making your way through the maze. people you didn't know soon come up behind you for the same reasons. you continue together fighting zombies. a new joy in numbers, developing strategy. you go through three more doors and now are at a green door number 4, you realize that you all have now been going down your chakra's. continuing to fight zombies, the patterns on the wall are disorienting one hall looked like it was getting more narrow and it was. a few dead ends decorated with disturbing scenes. later you realize, its been a while since you entered, visited multiple checkpoints and your bracelet is full, you already past door one. expecting the opening to the party at any time, you turn the corner and see it. a solid black door with a golden number marking zero. no idea what to expect, you open the door.

"congratulations! you made it!" the young girl gives you a hug. the music is entrancing and multicolored lights are flashing you see a crowd of people dancing. she grabs the gun and puts it in the bucket to be taken back to the entrance. you enjoy the rest of the night inside the maze, with random screams surrounding you from all of the other zombie warriors. you start to see a break in light, you decide that you've had enough. you leave as they start to lead a celebration ritual of making it to dawn. concluding what was accomplished during the night and welcoming the day. you make your way to the exit, and go through a straight white hallway easily passing through all the doors climbing back up to door nine. and exit back onto the playa.

three days after your journey through the maze, you miss it, you head back, show them your bracelet and enter through the straight hall. directly entering the party.

some things i struggle with.
the first version had lasers. so you would kill the zombies with light, but i was afraid that it would get into their eyes. maybe they could wear protective glasses???? this would be an only at night event though. i am not sure how the hand held laser would cope with the desert.

how to deal with the grey water, if putting down tarps would make people slip? i was hoping that maybe it being only open at night, it would give it enough time in the day to dry up whatever was used the night before. maybe if someone has some insight, please let me know the rate water would dry out there. my camp had a shower and it seemed to go down a sizable amount.

and since it is cold! our lovely zombies would get wet. maybe zombie ponchos?

there are a lot of loose ends in this. i think it would be a lot of fun, and i would like to see it done. please give me your honest input and hopefully we can make this a reality in time for the 2013 BURN! :D
VividLiving

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orgy Dome

Re: 2013 live action zombie water maze art brainstorm!

Postby maladroit » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:00 am

Still a possible moop hazard, but why not these: http://www.officeplayground.com/Glow-in ... P2479.aspx

If you have blacklights around, these things will glow like mofos.
maladroit

Postby graidawg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:40 am

its got potential, the maze would be more fun than the rave though. maybe when you get to the end you can be a zombie? Alternatively you could make it a whole playa game. find the refill stations dotted around BRC and when you get enough tags you can claim a prize from your camp?

I had similar idea of playing "killer" around the playa people register and you get there token when you kill them, winner announced at the eplaya meet n greet or something
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby jerroc » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Zombie lazer tag. Part maze (back alley theme) part city center post apocalypse.
jerroc

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:15 am

Sounds complicated.

Devil's advocate here:

How will you get the zombies and "young girls" to not wander off seeking shiny things? And keeping the water guns from wandering off? And how often would this happen? Once? Twice? Because that sounds like a big ass staff of volunteers, a lot of time to ask for them to donate.

Gathering trinkets to go into a party? No thanks, there's fire over there ....
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby mgb327 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:03 am

Well, after careful reading and thinking, my opinion is....Oh Look! A Blinkie!
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:57 pm

VividLiving wrote:I have had this idea for years and i want to make it a reality on the playa in 2013. ...the young girl gives you a hug.

There's some interesting potential here, but I've never been able to pull it off.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby trilobyte » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:40 am

Sounds very involved. Anything's possible (especially if you have the time and resources), but my advice would be to start with something a bit more manageable. At least 400 feet long, 15 feet tall square maze sounds great, but it's probably a lot of materials to build, bring out there, and assemble on-site.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:41 am

You'll have to beat Hula Cam, that was pretty much the high water mark. Or not.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby VividLiving » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Maladroit!
http://www.officeplayground.com/Glow-in ... P2479.aspx
that’s awesome!

The rave thing is just something to celebrate the death of everything.
The center, the goal is completely up for change. Maybe even a plush relaxed lounge as if from the womb or something.
or a stark blank quiet slate. who knows, i would love to brainstorm alternatives.
Although it would be great to have a whole playa game, this one I would like to have a specific journey.
the main goal wouldnt really be the party. the goal of this all is the journey.

And ahhh. That’s true.
Maybe they wouldn’t want to volunteer but that goes with everything. I believe some people would, and have fun doing it.

I was hoping for it to be open at least a few nights a week and have people sign up for shifts.
Maybe the size of it and time being stuck in a maze could be reduced.
Although I can understand people would rather do something else than get lost in a maze shooting at zombies. But the playa has something for everyone and I think a good portion of people would be interested in an event like this. I don’t know for sure and I think eplaya forum is a good place to find out.

i am not familiar with hula cam.
VividLiving

Postby VividLiving » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:57 pm

i was thinking of using color coding pvc to indicate various sizes and different patterned walls for the pipes to be slid into to indicate where they will be placed in the maze.
VividLiving

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:37 am

This idea sounds like fun, but I agree that it may be a bit ambitious.

Staffing will likely be your toughest problem. Although many folks may rush to volunteer, playa time being what it is the actual number of volunteers showing for shifts up will likely be far less.

Keep in mind that on the open playa you will also have to illuminate the exterior pretty well to keep it from being a navigation hazard and will also need to moop it at least once a day (I suspect folks will use your maze to dispose of lots of moop).
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby trilobyte » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:12 pm

Staffing will be a huge problem, but nowhere near as big as the one of cost.

"at least 400 foot long, 15 feet tall square maze. black. pvc pipe and painted mesh that you cant quite see through, weighted down with cinder blocks. in this version, tarp is the floor throughout the maze." Assuming that you only do 400 feet long, and it's square. That's a quantity of 64 50x50 tarps, which are generally $200+ apiece (price varies by color and strength). That's over $12K just for the floor tarps, and that doesn't even include anything to stake them down, walls or any other project components, or the costs to transport all that stuff out there.

A project of that size and scope would be pretty difficult even for playa veterans unless you had an incredible amount of resources (ie cash and people). You may want to reconsider either starting with a more manageable version of the project, or keep it on the back burner until you've got the planning experience, time, and resources. Good luck with whichever direction or project you go with.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby maladroit » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 pm

I think your new project should be placing a folding chair in the middle of deep playa, and enthusiastically talking about your zombie maze idea to anyone who will listen. They will probably agree it would be so cool if it ever happened. 400 feet square, man!
maladroit

Postby carefactornil » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:06 am

As the architect behind the 2012 Syncytium Maze (70' x 70' x 11'), I applaud the idea but like others think that unless you know a LOT of people you can rely on and have significant funds or a great Kickstarter, you're probably over-reaching.
Speaking from personal experience on a maze that didn't require anything like as much staffing, this is a big issue.
The set-up and clean up from this would be huge too, even if a quarter of the size.
We had a single minotaur (sometimes!) and that was quite a mindfuck for some folks.
Bear in mind that those who are high as a kite will need an easy way out of any maze, ESPECIALLY if it's trippy and full of zombies!
I love the idea of a maze of light/lazers though (the safe kind) - kinda like the end of Oceans 12. But that's still no easy set-up.
Love the ambition though, just hope you've got the drive to make something even vaguely like this happen.
carefactornil

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Syncytium

Postby latchseeker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 pm

maladroit wrote:I think your new project should be placing a folding chair in the middle of deep playa, and enthusiastically talking about your zombie maze idea to anyone who will listen. They will probably agree it would be so cool if it ever happened. 400 feet square, man!

this sounds much more BM appropriate :wink:

Gnarly Idea though, I'd get down
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them- Duke Leto Atreides
latchseeker

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby zdon » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:40 am

i agree with some of the others; difficult to staff, not cheap to build, plus lots of mud/sanitation/supply issues of playing with water on the playa...
not to mention that if i wanted a rave, i would just go to Opulent temple (rip) or Roots Society.
all in all, i think i would lose interest when my gun ran out of water (if not sooner) and wander off to look at something with flames or better music.
zdon

Camp Name: Emberz Bar

Return to 2013 Art & Performance