Open Letter to ePlaya Contributors

All things outside of Burning Man.

Open Letter to ePlaya Contributors

Postby Be Free » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:57 pm

I want to thank all the contributors to ePlaya. Their posts provide a wealth of information and insight for those of us who are relatively new to Burning Man and what it's all about. I especially want to thank junglesmacks and ugly dougly for their input. They both captured the large part of the spirit of Burning Man in their responses to my "Wander Aimlessly Amongst Theme Camps?" inquiry. Their responses even made me loosen my tie (figure of speech--I try not to wear one if at all possible).

The Burn of 2012 was my second. I came last year but didn't get a ticket until the Thursday before the Man burned on Saturday. As such, 2011 was a short Burn.

I've concluded Disneyland isn't the happiest place on Earth anymore. It's Burning Man and its positive, creative, joyous energy. On more than one occasion I stopped dancing only to do a complete circle while I took in all the smiling faces that resonated with something we don't see too often in the Default World-----Pure Joy. People grinning from ear to ear and moving their bodies to any variety of music without any hint of inhibition or reservation.

The type of music ran the gamut---from techno beat to the an awesome Bluegrass Jam where moonshine and corn whiskey passed amongst the revelers. To offset (or complement) the alcohol, bags of healthy trail made their way amongst the crowd. The younger generation in their 20's knew the words to many of the old Bluegrass songs. I was amazed. After precisely singing along with the band, one of the young guys turned to me and, while perceiving my amazement, said, "It's timeless music, man." I felt old and out of it. The ardor for Bluegrass music skipped my generation. Yet, it felt good to see the young appreciating and respecting timeless music of old.

Unconditional acceptance was everywhere. Pre-judgment didn't rear its ugly head. An open mind was prevalent everywhere as demonstrated by the creative costumes, worn with pride and aplomb. And then there are those whi proudly and comfortably strutted in their birthday suits. Everybody "letting their hair down." What a relief, what a departure from the Default World.

Burning Man is a celebration of Life and Living. It is unconditional acceptance, joy, smiles, and experiences all packaged together in a harsh, desert environment. The experience, over the course of a week, can be like a roller coaster. You may experience some lows (i.e., playa dust plastered on your teeth and/or someone "borrowing" your bike or goggles), but you also experience highs manufactured by a level of boundless and uninhibited creativity you'll never see in the Default World. All this wrapped up in the warm bosom of unconditional acceptance. And that's what makes Burning Man so unique and so damn refreshing.

Last year I was a bit embarrassed to say I had been to Burning Man. People wouldn't understand and they'd judge. Ironically, I couldn't tolerate their intolerance. This year, I didn't care quite so much because I know the spirit and essence of Burning Man is emblazoned in my soul. It gives me passion and makes me smile. Burning Man allows people to be free without judgment. In that regard, it's a perfect world yet in a harsh environment. At the same time, the harsh environment (i.e., dust storms) mightily contribute to the overall experience.

People often misjudge Burning Man and automatically visualize people drugging, drinking and fornicating in the dust. I'm here to say, I didn't see anyone drinking---just kidding. I attended events that lectured on the wildlife (animal---not human) of the Black Rock Desert. I also went to an interesting event that discussed the philosophy of Burning Man.

Burning Man is the accidental making of a counterculture. Who knew the 8 foot man constructed and torched before 20 people on Baker Beach in 1986 would spawn such a counterculture? The participants, in conjunction with the keen organizational skills of Burning Man Organization, contributed to the evolution of Burning Man to make it what it is today.

So, while I'm telling more people about my attendance at Burning Man this year I still hesitate to some extent. He/She may pre-judge and jump to conclusions without first keeping an open mind. And then I say to myself, "Maybe we should keep Burning Man our own little, well publicised secret."

Well, contributors of e-playa, thanks for all the info, all the insight and all the suggestions for my list for my week of radical self reliance at Burning Man. I couldn't have done it without you all.

Sincerely,

Be Free
Be Free

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Open Letter to ePlaya Contributors

Postby lucky420 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:12 pm

what a lovely letter and thank you
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Savannah » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Glad you made it, Mister. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:22 pm

:D
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Nice
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby lemur » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:28 pm

fuck yer day
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:11 pm

very nice......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:23 pm

blah blah blah TLDR.

show us your tits...
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Hush Simon. :)

That starts on page 2.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:01 pm

I LOVE IT!!! Thanks for posting such a great write up!!! Totally inspirational. I am so so SO grateful to of stumbled into this zone with all of you!!!!

Oh, and I am SICKENED (regret #24) that I mssed the Bluegrass Jams. SICKENED. I fucking love Bluegrass. Bluegrass has taken on a new form in the past 10 years, the youngins love it, I go to lots of New grass festivals like String Summit and High Sierra and the likes. Next time I visit BRC I must go to Iron Rose. Grrrr. Glad you caught it!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:04 pm

AN ACCIDENTAL MAKING OF A COUNTER CULTURE

Goosebumps!!
RedHeaven

Postby pink » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:00 pm

I go to High Sierra too. Where do you camp, RH?
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Sweeeeeet! I actually build a theme camp at HIgh Sierra (I know, not the endeavor it is at Bman, but snagging that spot is harder than it is at Bman!) called Wood Bee Nation, or Camp Woodbee. We are over by the Vaudeville tent under the one tree by the bathhouses. Its all geigh with flowers and monkeys n stuff. been doing this camp since 06. I actually work on art at HSMF and get there on Tues and do the Music Hall decor. Been going since 2000. Its my fav place on Earth but BRC is too. I cant do BMan next year, only HSMF but after that I have to decide between the two in 2014. When that day comes, will you help council me? heh heh heh

Where do you camp? Really nice to see Hi Sierra Burner crossovers on the Eplaya !!

AAAAAND like the jam band community, this board is filled with snarky whippersnappers. THATS RIGHT! I compared Simon to Phish fans!! mwahahahahahaaa gotta love the snark, keeps us from being too rainbow unicorn glitter tards :mrgreen:
RedHeaven

Postby Snow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:22 pm

Great story!

Wood Bee Nation is a pyramid scheme!!!! I donated all my hard work/stuff and all I have to show for it is awesome memories, lifelong friends, tons of smiles, hugs, bad chad sweat, trains, sexy ladies, bacon, river serpents, mimosas, pants off dance offs, sunrise jams, gypsies, pink tacos, glitter bombs, gnome turds, best seat in the house and a freaking neon turtle :wink:
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:38 am

coo letter.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby JStep » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Beautiful!
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Sail Man » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:01 pm

*clap clap clap clap*
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Hey, glad you had a good time. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby pink » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm up at Camp Traction-we're right by where the crossover gate is to Shady Grove. Also can be found at the Wharf Rats booth tucked amongst the vendors at the Grandstand. I always go up early and camp out Wednesday at Junction Field. Other Rats and the Traction volunteers get in the gates early, but I've always just bought a ticket.

HS got me ready to burn when the universe demanded I go to BM!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Return to Open Discussion