What is better than Burning Man?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

What is better than Burning Man?

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:35 am

Is there anything?

I'm asking seriously, as I know there are many people out there with widely varying experiences and who may be better explorers than I am. Is there anything "better" than B-man, or is there something/some event you cherish equally that is just different? Is there something that at least comes close? I only discovered Burning Man 2 years ago, so surely I've missed some similarly amazing things out there.

Ideally I'm interested in an event as opposed to something like "the love of my kids", but feel free to send those mushy ones too :). I suppose something like "hiking the AT" would fit as well.

Thank you!
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Re: What is better than Burning Man?

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:00 am

Maybe don't look for something "better" but rather "different". Burning Man is great for what it is, but it only has so much scope. Hell, sleeping in my own bed is "better" than Burning Man when I want some quality sleep, but when I get up I'd rather be at Burning Man.

Other great places to see?

The outdoors of southern Utah.
Third-world countries.
Camping on beaches central America.
Etc.

Sadly, only one of those apply to me. Hopefully that'll change.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:06 am

BBadger wrote:Maybe don't look for something "better" but rather "different". Burning Man is great for what it is, but it only has so much scope.

Yep, I'm open to "different". In general I'm interested to know if there is something out there similarly life impacting to Bman. I guess it sounds cheap to ask such a question, but, as an example, if someone had gone to a huge music festival and had their mind blown and considered it the best thing they've ever been to and then asked me what is "better", I'd say "Burning Man". It's different, for sure, but infinitely more life impacting and, I would say, "better" (as hard as that is to define).

Maybe a better way to phrase the question would have been: "What, for you, compares to Burning Man?"
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:15 am

World travel in developing countries.

I look at Burningman as a tool. It has led to personal growth. It's primary use for me now is as a reset.

World travel has had a much larger impact on my thinking and actions.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:29 am

BBadger wrote:The outdoors of southern Utah.
Third-world countries.
Camping on beaches central America.
Etc.

some seeing eye wrote:World travel in developing countries.
I look at Burningman as a tool. It has led to personal growth. It's primary use for me now is as a reset.
World travel has had a much larger impact on my thinking and actions.

Awesome. Thank you!
MacGlenver

Postby RedHeaven » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:52 am

Not better, but just as important to me, quite close on the same lattitude just west of Black Rock in Quincy, CA is the High SIerra Music Festival. Been going for 13 years, I go early and make ambiance and art these days and build a little theme camp, when I say build I mean I "put together" and lead the camp so we can fit 25+ people in the coziness that is camping at HSMF. Ask anyone who has gone to this fest, it is very different from other fests, hard to explain why, it just is. You camp right by the stages, there is not much separation between band and fan. People treat it like a destination and REAL vacation, not just another summer stop. The gift economy is strong, people have cocktail parties and GIVE drinks away, there is a lot of sharing going on and nobody trying to sell you their hemp necklaces in the camps. (yeah there are vendors but they arent annoying like rando hippies can be) You can join a daily parade, or stay awake for sunrise kickball which is the biggest freak show sporting event in the world. hahaha. Oh yeah and the biggest reason of em all: the music. It is everywhere, in every nook of the entire intimate grounds, all live all the time. So many amazing acts from different genres, not just one sector of the scene. Old school and new school. Its a MUSIC LOVERS world. We even have our One Token Art Car, the Dancing Peacock, courtesy of Rogeman out of Carson City. Its about 10,000 peeps. Yeah we dont have 10 and Esplanade Dubstep DJs like SYmbiosis, we're not that kind of BMan like event. Our Burning man sister vibes are with the people and the overall feeling of sharing and experiencing the greatest live music together and participating in making it awesome. There is deep 22 year history, and it is still grass roots.

We had a cop problem in 04-06 but HSMF fought with the town to get it resolved, now we have been virtually cop free since 07!!! Its AWESOME.
STill have to watch out driving on the way in, though.

I know, TL/DR but fuggin A I was excited to talk about my "other" event.......The thing that is sad is that I will have to choose one or the other in future years. HSMF is July 4th weekend BTW. 2013 I am taking a BRC break and will be working HSMF again, but in 2014 I might have to skip my first HSMF ever for the Burn. Ouch........Not sure what to do yet. HSMF is so very important to me as music is my major interest.....But part of me would rather perform my shitty ditties at Burning Man and keep expanding.....I'll have to have them trade off every other year. The reason for that is because the Hubby wants to go traveling more, (and he can't burn) so I'm down with that!!! Alaska here we come!!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:59 am

HSMF sounds fun Red...........I may have to check it out!!
Do they have "gate and perimeter" type departments?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby RedHeaven » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:30 am

ygmir wrote:HSMF sounds fun Red...........I may have to check it out!!
Do they have "gate and perimeter" type departments?

Indeed they do, gotta keep the wookies and sasquach out, ya know....

It's all the music you Don't hear at Burning Man....haha....with a few minor exceptions like March Fourth Marching Band.

Sold out for the first time this year. However drastically different than BMan. It happened during the event, and we rejoiced with victorious glee.
RedHeaven

Postby RedHeaven » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:32 am

Anyone ever see that big event in Europe where it's like a week long adult spring break like beach camp out rave? Can't remember the name.....looks.....not my thing ;)
RedHeaven

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:50 am

MacGlenver wrote:Yep, I'm open to "different". In general I'm interested to know if there is something out there similarly life impacting to Bman.

Volunteer. Help out some people in your neighborhood.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:32 am

Burningman is just like the rest of the world, subject to it's same glories and pains.
I'm not really fond of the human animal these days, with it's politicking and self-aggrandizing. I know this will pass, and I know I haven't spent much of my time thinking that this was different, but I've been going through the whole knife in the gut territory on and off since the burn started...

There are all sorts of events, open to all sorts of people that change their ways in all sorts of ways... That you think burningman is "better" has more to do with your interests and opportunities than the exact nature of the burn. I'm sure the olympics changed the life of more people as drastically, and in a wider variety of ways.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby offarock » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:40 am

RedHeaven wrote:Anyone ever see that big event in Europe where it's like a week long adult spring break like beach camp out rave? Can't remember the name.....looks.....not my thing ;)

Are you thinking of Kazintip Republic?

http://kazantip-republic.com/
This signature left intentionally blank.
offarock

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Silicon Village - Squirreltopia

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:42 am

RedHeaven wrote:It's all the music you Don't hear at Burning Man....

You had me until you said that :). Volunteering is a great idea, as is traveling to third world countries. I've volunteered some and really enjoyed it, but havent done enough. I've travelled as well, but never to a developing nation. Adding these to the thought process....

theCryptofishist wrote:I've been going through the whole knife in the gut territory on and off since the burn started...
That you think burningman is "better" has more to do with your interests and opportunities than the exact nature of the burn.

What do you mean by "knife in the gut"?

As for "better", I guess all I mean is that bman is the best I've found in the category of "an event that I could go to", in my opinion, since it covers so many of the things that I love (music, preparation & challenge, freedom, openness, people). That said, it doesnt necessarily cover EVERYTHING I love, so I'm interested to hear from such a diverse and intelligent group what they've found that I might love as much as Burning Man (and possibly for very different reasons).
MacGlenver

Postby wh..sh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 am

MacGlenver wrote:Is there anything?

I'm asking seriously, as I know there are many people out there with widely varying experiences and who may be better explorers than I am. Is there anything "better" than B-man, or is there something/some event you cherish equally that is just different? Is there something that at least comes close? I only discovered Burning Man 2 years ago, so surely I've missed some similarly amazing things out there.

This is so subjective.
To me, it's almost sad when people are unable to see beauty and life outside BM.
Personally, some of my best time offs was not even at BM... it was spending couple of days at Great Basin National park with no one around and having Grand Canyon to myself during peak winter.

You will find what you seek... in my opinion. If you are seeking something to similar, the European "NoWhere" would be worth a try.

I am from a "developing country", so, I do love going there. Gosh! That does make me sound uber cool when I say that!!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:48 am

MacGlenver wrote:What do you mean by "knife in the gut"?

I'm referring to the the feelings of rage, pain and betrayal that I have been going through--in part displayed on this board--in responce to the demise of my camp and my village this year.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 am

wh..sh wrote:
MacGlenver wrote:Is there anything?

This is so subjective.
To me, it's almost sad when people are unable to see beauty and life outside BM.
Personally, some of my best time offs was not even at BM... it was spending couple of days at Great Basin National park with no one around and having Grand Canyon to myself during peak winter.

You will find what you seek... in my opinion. If you are seeking something to similar, the European "NoWhere" would be worth a try.

I am from a "developing country", so, I do love going there. Gosh! That does make me sound uber cool when I say that!!

*runs out to find uber cool Whoosh poster*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:51 am

Hedonism II was pretty good...
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby wh..sh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:53 am

ygmir wrote:*runs out to find uber cool Whoosh poster*

*worried* I really hope you don't find any of those posters.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:11 am

Join the Peace Corp. I know of at least one person that it changed his life from not knowing what he wanted from life to a new outlook. He even met his wife there (he went to Mongolia). Someone else I know joined because he was so sick of what he had did for over a decade (PhD). You get to help out in developing countries, learn a language and culture, and live out a different life. It'll be more than just visiting some country or place as a tourist, or attending an "event."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Just_Joe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:17 am

RedHeaven wrote:Sold out for the first time this year. However drastically different than BMan. It happened during the event, and we rejoiced with victorious glee.

Yea, sold out, and here you go with your own little version of "The places you'll go at HSMF"
Great. Just great. :P
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Postby trilobyte » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 am

Giving this a nudge over to philosophy.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Lowz » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:36 am

Default is definitely better. After a week of BM, i just want to run away from there
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby Nipple » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:45 am

I'd have to agree. For me being out there is like cookies. A sometimes treat.

(I'm trying to maybe sometimes say no to cookies. I hell of said no to free mini cupcakes the other day. Wh..sh yelled at me for ordering salad in a restaurant.)

Anyway... Birmingham all the time? "It would be like if the Queen woke you up every morning. Too Special."

After a week my body was starting to break down to base components. I was disintegrating out there, starting with the backs of my knees.
Nipple

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:55 am

Last year I went to something called "high desert test sites" near Joshua Tree. It's basically a driving tour around the valley looking at art installations, some of them permanent, some temporary. I volunteered to help one of the artists set up their installation out in the middle of a dry lakebed, which obviously brought back a lot of memories. :) It was just us out there, no other installations for miles. A few of the locals cruised by wondering what the hell was going on. Sitting out there in the dark after we had finished the setup, drinking beer, and looking at the stars was incredible.

Another artist built a saltwater pool/climbing wall out in the middle of nowhere out of a form they had previously used to build a sculpture, and you had to jump 10 feet down into the pool to get in. Super sketchy, but so much fun. :)

It's a very different event than burning man, so I wouldn't say either is better or worse than the other. I did feel more "free" at HDTS however, and thought the art was more conceptual than the flashy/blinky/shiny/'splodin' stuff at BM. :)

http://www.highdeserttestsites.com/hdts
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby graidawg » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:09 am

I used to go to Celtica in northern Italy, in fact it's how i found out about BM, its changed now but like BM its out in the middle of nowhere, in a valley (valle d'aosta) and at night you look up and "it's full of stars" one of the most beautiful places i have ever been. not that i have seen much.

i suspect like most of the contributors here have said it depends on what you are looking for. there is a whole world out there waiting to be discovered and nearly all of it can be life changing.

for me i just want to be close to my friends, the more i travel the more i find its not where you are its who you are there with that makes the experience.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:19 am

graidawg wrote:...the more i travel the more i find its not where you are its who you are there with that makes the experience.

As the hippies say, "Wherever you go, there you are."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:21 am

Nipple wrote:(I'm trying to maybe sometimes say no to cookies. I hell of said no to free mini cupcakes the other day. Wh..sh yelled at me for ordering salad in a restaurant.)

If I must correct you - "Wh..sh yelled mildly at me for ordering salad in a restaurant."

I just didn't want you to think that no cookies meant salad. There is plenty of stuff inbetween that will give your eveyday serving of "finding-yourself", sometimes even with some pesto.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:22 am

Going out to dinner with Wh..sh sounds like a serious undertaking...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:29 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Going out to dinner with Wh..sh sounds like a serious undertaking...

*waits for Nipple to come back and fix the image defloration*

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Nipple » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:29 am

The mild yelling was ok... it was the implied physical threats that got to me.
Nipple

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy