Tell me if your voice phone worked this year.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Tell me if your voice phone worked this year.

Postby Token » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Have used phone on playa for at least 5 years. Reliably. AT&T iPhones 3 & 4.

5W amplifier and a well placed high-gain antena on the roof of the truck does the trick.

It will set you back a few hundred for the gittup but at least it works the remaining 51 weeks as well.

For all I know this may have worked out there longer, but 5 years ago is when I tried it for the first time.

Fuck yer day.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Fiver » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:04 pm

AT&T iPhone 4, normal service. It worked for text messages (not iMessage) opening Sunday eve and early Monday. Put it away after camp mates arrived to correct campsite Monday. Could send, but not receive texts. Camp mates who came Monday confirmed they got them tho. Never tried a voice call.
Last edited by Fiver on Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiver

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Ano » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:19 pm

My phone is my only camera, so I kept it on me. All week, I got random bouts of service in the Playa. One night, I called my dad, because I got the sudden urge to - he was watching on camp envy, and the camera had my girlfriend and I in perfect view. I got the privilege of saying hello to my family from a dusty desert through the service of a couple of dudes and a webcam. Thanks. :)

In the city, it had no signal, but I noticed that I had intermittent signal on the open playa and deep playa.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:45 pm

My verizon samsung phone worked sunday pre event, then it would receive intermittent emails/texts during the rest of the week.

I used it for a camera, as well as to get peoples contact info while roaming the playa.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby maladroit » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:28 pm

As a side note, I did have my iPhone out semi-frequently, to do things like check GPS and time. The playa dust seemed to roll right off, I did not use a screen protector, case, or port plugs. Plus, I knew I'd have a new iPhone in a couple weeks :)

We'll see if the iPhone 5 survives as well, but it'll only be a year old instead of two...might either bag it up, or bring the 4 as a camera/GPS/compass/level/calculator/watch/flashlight if I don't get rid of it soon.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Teamdummy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:11 am

OLD crappy LG ux 3200 from verizon worked reliably at the whole event, both incoming and outgoing, a mixed blessing!
Teamdummy

Burning Since: 2012

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 am

ill play - thanks for explaining your needs and intentions.

Verizon 3G enabled Droid 2OS on a Motorola platform. I could get and send texts until my thumbs bled, voice was spotty. It appeared to be a the number of peeps attempting to use the system. Pre and post burns it works flawlessly. I could make calls out using my GETS card, this tells me that there is plenty of signal, overused though.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man