What happened to the 57K tickets sold in 2012?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: What happened to the 57K tickets sold in 2012?

Postby danibel » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Mojojita wrote:My hubby and I are two of those seen leaving the playa on Saturday before the burn. We had already been on the playa for over two weeks and over the years we have learned that our experience of Burning Man has become much more about the work we do there and the people we love, new friends and old, than it is about the big burns or the dance camps. I think there are more veterans among the "early exit" than scared off tired virgins.

I would have to agree with this, even though I do not really consider myself a "veteran" per say. I started in going in 2009 and people I camped with that year arrived early, worked their asses off, partied until Saturday morning and then took off. There were a still a few people in the camp Saturday night but most had cleared out by Sunday afternoon. They have been doing this for a few years before as well.

We had two virgins leave on Friday morning this year. She had actually "gone down" somewhere near center camp from dehydration and ended up in a med tent on Wednesday. She was OK, but completely done by Friday morning and they packed up and left.

Another long time camp member had two tickets but has been overwhelmed by work, not show up at all. We thought he might blaze in Saturday just for the burn, but he didn't make it and ended watching the Ustream from Camp Envy (who rocks BTW).
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Its peak attendance at no time in history has an event this large had all people with tickets in hand on site at the same time- just cant happen. So the numbers you see like 52K and change is the peak attendance.

MDMF007
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:39 am

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:22 pm

I am sure that every year at BM will be a sold out event from now on.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Chowski » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:12 pm

I can confirm about leaving early. This year, my theme camp was spooked by the ticket sitch, so I went by myself, and swore that when I was "done" I would leave. I woke up Thursday morning feeling like I'd done what I wanted to do, and any further joys would be mitigated by increasing pain and discomfort. Without my crew to urge me to stay, I was packed, mooped and out the gate by early afternoon, and there was a steady stream of cars (more going out than coming in) even at that time. It wasn't all unprepared virgins leaving because they were unhappy. In this instance, it was a happily full vet. I've seen the man burn, I've watched the temple go. I didn't need to push myself through the increasingly spectator atmosphere of the weekend. I spent through Sunday with friends in Sacramento, cleaning up and swimming in the river. Ahhh.....
Chowski

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Rice » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:17 pm

mdmf007 wrote:I am sure that every year at BM will be a sold out event from now on.

Sold out, yet tickets could be found with minimal effort.

My province has a couple hundred burners, yet tickets could be found locally. So, prepare as though you have a ticket (getting one just before leaving) or get a ticket at the last minute and wing it... Winging it might be easier if you live close, slightly harder when a 3000Km drive down is required.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby jerroc » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:24 am

I believe there will be a repeat of last year. BM sells out of tickets. People are unable to attend BM and the last week are taking what they can for their tickets. Not all tickets will get used. And another thread about how much money BM is making off of ticket sales will pop back up.
jerroc

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:43 am

I've got everything I need, so I'm not even going to decide till August whether to buy a ticket or not. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:16 am

FIGJAM wrote:I've got everything I need, so I'm not even going to decide till August whether to buy a ticket or not. 8)

I must have two of everything I would.. So will sell some by Aug. to buy a ticket..

I do not have a bucket cooler yet.. Have a cam o bucket and a pond pump so far.. Just might have the other stuff some where in the shed..
unjonharley

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:10 pm

jerroc wrote:And another thread about how much money BM is making off of ticket sales will pop back up.

Those were popping up long before the sell-out last year. They will pop up long after the event is dead.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Good Sarah » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:59 pm

We were all surprised to get a great close up spot for the man burn, despite leaving camp 2 hours later than planned. The year before we got there by sunset, and ended up way farther away.
I'm just being honest
Good Sarah

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Booby Bar, Camp Gallavant

Postby Stellan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:01 am

Same here, most spacious Burning of the Man event ever - therefore, I've been wondering the same thing. Also we were camped in a similar spot as previous years, yet surrounded by empty space. New neighbors never came - big whaaa!
Stellan

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Prometheus Shrine

Postby unjonharley » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:18 pm

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
unjonharley

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion