"MaxCold" coolers - 5 days of ice?

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.

Re: "MaxCold" coolers - 5 days of ice?

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:44 am

stretch80 wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Because this is eplaya, there's going to be difference of opinion.
Like this one:
stretch80 wrote:You should never need an excuse to use crayons ;)

Ahhh! Not cranyons! the color saturation is horrible! I want something softer with more pigment!

You may now return to your regularly scheduled cooler thread.

Crayons, pencil-crayons, markers, paint, pens, blood - whatever . Just embrace your inner-kid - draw stuff

Agreed.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sail Man » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:33 pm

I've also heard of people who make a larger box out of plywood to put their coolers in, they use the blue foam board insulation and glue it to the inside of the box before dropping the cooler into it. The lid is also fitted with the insulation.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Canoe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:52 am

Sail Man wrote:I've also heard of people who make a larger box out of plywood to put their coolers in, they use the blue foam board insulation and glue it to the inside of the box before dropping the cooler into it. The lid is also fitted with the insulation.

other materials - to reflect sunlight and heat:
  • foil-sided bubble-wrap
  • hexayurt style, foil-sided reenforced foam board (doesn't need plywood, unless you'll be lifting it loaded)
assemble with foil tape
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:44 pm

FWIW, we finally purchased a new cooler for the boat.. and picked up an Igloo Ice Cube MaxCold unit. It does insulate well.. but FAR from 5 days of ice. With people in and out of it, two bags of ice lasts about 24 hours. We had the previous Ice Cube cooler that wasn't a "MaxCold" model and this one seems to insulate about 33% better.. but again.. nowhere near the claims.

Conclusion: Don't believe the hype.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby illy dilly » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:11 pm

junglesmacks wrote:FWIW, we finally purchased a new cooler for the boat.. and picked up an Igloo Ice Cube MaxCold unit. It does insulate well.. but FAR from 5 days of ice. With people in and out of it, two bags of ice lasts about 24 hours. We had the previous Ice Cube cooler that wasn't a "MaxCold" model and this one seems to insulate about 33% better.. but again.. nowhere near the claims.

Conclusion: Don't believe the hype.

I wonder how well it would do if it wasn't a beer cooler?
Like if it was the frozen foods cooler. That really only gets opened for meals.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby tamarakay » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:38 pm

We had one with just jugs of ice in it, still had cold water on Friday. The one with the dry ice on top of the jugs of ice was still frozen Sunday.

Opened once a day. Had wrapped in silver stuff you put in your windows and a quilt. Up on palettes.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:05 pm

True.. in and out all the time while serving up 2 x 18 packs of beer in 90 degree FL sun on a boat all day is demanding for a cooler.

..and quite delicious. Y'all are coming down.. when? :D
junglesmacks

Postby dragonpilot » Mon May 28, 2012 12:39 pm

So your ice melts...get over it! Besides, a trip to Arctica and waiting in line means you make new friends! And the Arctica folks rawk!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby junglesmacks » Mon May 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Can we classify this as a new species of White Whine?
junglesmacks

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:18 pm

I found this vid to be very helpful.

It seems coleman xtreem and Engel are the best in the test, but the Engel is 5X the cost. :shock:

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby maladroit » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:26 pm

I have a red (vintage!) :) Igloo Maxcold 70. I fed it about two bags every two days, after the first three days.

But then, it wasn't very hot this year. I did not wrap it in anything or keep it off the ground, but it was always in shade.

Bang for the buck? Really really high, since I paid $15 for it at a flea market.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby BBadger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:32 pm

I got one of those 165qt Maxcold coolers from Costco. They worked pretty well, and kept its ice for a while, but we still bought ice for it and other coolers because we'd shift stuff around a bit and consolidate stuff as needed. Having one giant cooler for stuff was definitely convenient!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Trishntek » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:53 pm

I loaded my 165 quart Maxcold on Wed. 8/22 with Five 2.5 gallon (suitcase) frozen jugs, One 10 lb. frozen ham and a box of FIFTY frozen hamburger patties.

It sat in our loaded box truck until late Thur. 8/23 and in our kitchen tent, on 2x4s until Fri. 8/31 when we finally cooked the burgers. They were still partially frozen and the ham was still partially frozen the next night.

Upon strike, we needed the cooler for extra booze and wanted to use the jugs of water for our slippery slide body cleaning station prior to exodus on Tues. 9/4. After nearly TWO WEEKS, there was still ice in those water jugs!

To my knowledge, it was not open for days at a time. It served us well and I have no complaints!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Thank you for bringing up my own thread.. I had forgotten about this..

We bought a Coleman Extreme cooler this year and loaded it up Thursday afternoon for EA. We used it only for food.. no warm drinks going in and out. I kid you not.. we had ice all the way up to burn day.. 10 days later!!! Temple burn and we had cold water. Seriously though.. 10 days keeping ice in this thing. So bad ass. Worth every penny.

We also have an Igloo MaxCold here locally in FL that we use for camping and same thing.. totally bad ass. We took it to Bonnaroo this June and it sat in direct 90 degree TN sun and yet kept ice for the whole 5 days. We have one of the IceCube models for the boat and with 95 degree FL sun and people in and out all day, it will keep 2 x 24 racks of beer totally ice cold with just one 10 lb bag of ice all day. Other coolers would be totally melted and done after only a few hours.

Both the Igloo and Coleman "extreme" series coolers do indeed hold up. The difference? The Igloo coolers are built way better IMHO. The Coleman handles are cheap and flimsy and break first thing. The Igloo seems overbuilt and very sturdy. The only reason that we went with the Coleman vs the Igloo in BRC is that we were traveling and found a good deal online for the 70qt model.. like $30 delivered. Couldn't say no.. and passed it on to some friends after the burn.
junglesmacks

Postby otakup0pe » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:45 pm

We had a Coleman eXtreme 5 day cooler with dry ice in it. Kinda pre-chilled before leaving. Only opened about once a day to cycle blue ice blocks through other coolers. Forty pounds of ice lasted about five days and things remained frozen an additional few days.
otakup0pe

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:58 pm

The youtube was about "5 day coolers".

Have'nt found a comparison for the "maxcool" or the "Ultra Xtreem", but from looking at them in stores, it looks like the Max Cool seals better and both are about double the price of the ones tested in the video. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby illy dilly » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:16 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Both the Igloo and Coleman "extreme" series coolers do indeed hold up. The difference? The Igloo coolers are built way better IMHO. The Coleman handles are cheap and flimsy and break first thing. The Igloo seems overbuilt and very sturdy. The only reason that we went with the Coleman vs the Igloo in BRC is that we were traveling and found a good deal online for the 70qt model.. like $30 delivered. Couldn't say no.. and passed it on to some friends after the burn.

To elaborate on what JS says about the Coleman:
I have the almost identacle Coleman cooler. I've had it for a few years. Its been mountain camping a few times, and this was its 3rd burn.
These coolers get less efficient over years of use. Eventually the seal where the lid meets the base because a little less "air tight". Not very noticeably, but still.

We use our Coleman Extreme 70 quart as a our beer cooler. Which basically means:
We dump about 24-30 cans and bottles of different WARM beers/hard tea/hard cider in it every day.
The cooler gets opened at least once an hour or more.
We also have to add ice every day. By the time we add ice each day, between 2 and 4pm, there is a little bit of ice floating in the ice cold water, but not much.
For $30 to $40 dollars, this cooler works really well.

Our 'frozen food' cooler is some smaller cooler, I believe its also a coleman. Its not as good a cooler, but it only gets opened in the evening preparing dinner. It doesn't really need to be topped off with ice every day- but fuck it, we have ice so add some to the cooler. Its not worth screwing around with raw meat, might as well add ice.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:22 pm

I think I paid like $60 for that cooler at Costco, and it holds as much as the 3-4 we brought before, so overall I'm pleased with the space it saved and the ice it kept cold. As JS mentioned, it has nice handles, and I like the drink door on top so you don't have to open the whole top to get at something.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:31 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I found this vid to be very helpful.

It seems coleman xtreem and Engel are the best in the test, but the Engel is 5X the cost. :shock:

[/youtube]

The "IRP" that the mention, the light blueish huge one, seems pretty kick ass!
I honestly didn't think that the $40 dollar Coleman cooler (same one I have) would do that good.

But the way they test the cooler use is completely unreal.
Who doesn't open their cooler for 4 days?
I suppose if you were planning a two or three week camping trip, and packed your food for each week separately it might matter. Like pack half your food for in a cooler a week 1 cooler, and had another cooler that doesn't even get opened tell week 2.
Which really is not such a bad idea!
Especially if you found a good shady spot off the ground, to put the week 2 cooler.
Even wrap it in an old comforter or bubble wrap or something.
illy dilly

Postby Mosquitopilate » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:01 pm

dude I bought the biggest one and I had water 20-24 hours after each ice purchase
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Fiver » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:05 am

I used several rolls of this to wrap the hell out of my large (forget which size, but the biggest size I could find) coleman MAX coolers. Then I wrapped most of that in silver reflective tape to hold it on. All my coolers lived in my Hexy, but I had surplus ice at the end of the event. They were packed the Thursday prior to gate open. It's not much, but it certainly helped.
Fiver

Burning Since: 2011

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:11 am

Mosquitopilate wrote:dude I bought the biggest one and I had water 20-24 hours after each ice purchase

There's more to this story.. as in.. it sat on the ground and had warm cases of PBR being dumped in it every few hours.
junglesmacks

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:27 am

I bought an Igloo water cooler for camping.. Then cut two buckets down to fit in the freezer. The ice from them will fit into the cooler.. I have a parts divider that fit in a 5gal. bucket.. so I can have cold drinking water and store the condiments on top..
Almost all the camp food come from dehydrated stock..
unjonharley

Postby illy dilly » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:30 am

unjonharley wrote:Almost all the camp food come from dehydrated stock..

Simple and highly effective!

but where do you put the beer?
illy dilly

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:38 am

illy dilly wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Almost all the camp food come from dehydrated stock..

Simple and highly effective!

but where do you put the beer?

I'm one of those that don't do beer..
unjonharley

Postby edbrez » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:14 am

junglesmacks wrote:Thank you for bringing up my own thread.. I had forgotten about this..

We bought a Coleman Extreme cooler this year and loaded it up Thursday afternoon for EA. We used it only for food.. no warm drinks going in and out. I kid you not.. we had ice all the way up to burn day.. 10 days later!!! Temple burn and we had cold water. Seriously though.. 10 days keeping ice in this thing. So bad ass. Worth every penny.

We also have an Igloo MaxCold here locally in FL that we use for camping and same thing.. totally bad ass. We took it to Bonnaroo this June and it sat in direct 90 degree TN sun and yet kept ice for the whole 5 days. We have one of the IceCube models for the boat and with 95 degree FL sun and people in and out all day, it will keep 2 x 24 racks of beer totally ice cold with just one 10 lb bag of ice all day. Other coolers would be totally melted and done after only a few hours.

Both the Igloo and Coleman "extreme" series coolers do indeed hold up. The difference? The Igloo coolers are built way better IMHO. The Coleman handles are cheap and flimsy and break first thing. The Igloo seems overbuilt and very sturdy. The only reason that we went with the Coleman vs the Igloo in BRC is that we were traveling and found a good deal online for the 70qt model.. like $30 delivered. Couldn't say no.. and passed it on to some friends after the burn.

This might be one to keep and use to transport gear if flying?
I might consider bringing one from Ireland as luggage, could be cooler option while at BM, and pick another one up as freezer with ice for the week.
Can gift larger one to someone interested at end of week... or donate :D
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
edbrez

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Howzit

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:25 pm

edbrez wrote:This might be one to keep and use to transport gear if flying?

Excellent! I like the way you think.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:41 pm

We of course thought the same thing.. but the linear dimensions are just over the allowable limit and it would have been oversized. It was literally cheaper to just give them away.
junglesmacks

Postby trilobyte » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:48 pm

What junglesmacks said. When planning to use coolers as luggage, check with your airline first to get details on what's allowable. As a secondary option, you may want to look into shipping items home post-event via ground freight. Check with your local kinko's or UPS joint to get an idea on rates and size restrictions so you know what you're dealing with (and what it will cost you), then look up locations in Reno where you can ship home from once you leave the playa. In some cases it may turn out to be less expensive to give away or donate once you're done. A week or two before the event a JRS issue will have detailed info on places to donate, recycle and dump, that should prove handy in taking care of all the loose ends.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby edbrez » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:58 pm

junglesmacks wrote:We of course thought the same thing.. but the linear dimensions are just over the allowable limit and it would have been oversized. It was literally cheaper to just give them away.

Thanks for the heads up Junglesmacks and Trilobyte
I felt donating would be a viable alternative, I'd be happy with that, least its not moop then. :)
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
edbrez

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Howzit

PreviousNext

Return to Keeping Cool