Always interesting to read how folks modify the MH design. I was no exception. I cut my sections in half too. My former structural engineering background helped me understand that you take the two and one half foot sleeve (30") that the original design had at the top, and cut it in three 10" sleeve sections to give basically the same structural integrity across the same distance. Instead of using screws to keep the sleeves from sliding down the pole, I wrapped 200 degree Scotch Extreme Duct tape around each pole section 5" from the ends, building up about a 3/16" to 1/4" stop that the sleeve would rest against. 5" of each rib pole slid easily into half of the 10" sleeve. On the sleeve I put enough of the same duct tape in the middle so that the X or T joint fit snuggly on the sleeve right in the middle. By doing so it made construction of the MH a breeze (two hours in the dark and in no hurry at all) binding everything together with 48" bungees.
We tested our design in gale force winds on an empty playa on July 6th this past year. The joints held up beautifully. Our tarp anchors failed though in the wind, causing the tarp to sail, pulling the frame off the rebar and collapsing the MH. We changed our anchor system, used 5/8" rebar instead of 1/2", and anchored the frame to the ground too, separate from the tarp. If the frame had not been pulled off the rebar in July when the tarp sailed we would have been fine in the gale force winds. Anchoring the frame to the ground separately from the tarp would have prevented that from happening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You are always smaller than anything that upsets you. Remain calm and solutions with boundless possibility will find your heart.