Death count at Burning Man

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Death count at Burning Man

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:52 pm

paulo999 wrote:It was my first time.

The 447 leaving was definitely the scariest bit for me.

I'm sure for US drivers, overnighting at Reno is 'sleeping locally', but for the rest of us a 2-3 hour drive (after a 'quick' 2 hours playa exit) in the dark, when tired is a long haul. If we'd had an RV I think we'd have pulled over and slept. There's absolutely no way I'd go any further than Reno on the way out.

My spirits lifted seeing the hotel minorly playafied in all sorts of random places. And seeing other burners doing burner 'random sleeping' in the lobby made me laugh too.

But, erm, yeah, the 447... Lots of room for things to go wrong there. Stay safe.

[ Taking notes for EuroTreasure FAQ. ]
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:59 pm

There are reports in my camp that on Monday the 27th I killed most of a liter of wine resulting in the untimely death of numerous brain cells (total count unknown) (Oh the humanity!). I can neither confirm nor deny this. There were however witnesses at the scene, but since they were involved in said incident they’re pleading the 5th & refuse to talk about it. I do not expect to see this in the afterburn report as no one reported any missing brain cells to authorities the next morning. If anyone has additional information about this please PM me.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:10 pm

I killed a pair of crutches.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:41 pm

paulo999 wrote:It was my first time.

The 447 leaving was definitely the scariest bit for me.

I'm sure for US drivers, overnighting at Reno is 'sleeping locally', but for the rest of us a 2-3 hour drive (after a 'quick' 2 hours playa exit) in the dark, when tired is a long haul. If we'd had an RV I think we'd have pulled over and slept. There's absolutely no way I'd go any further than Reno on the way out.

But, erm, yeah, the 447... Lots of room for things to go wrong there. Stay safe.

No, it's just as scary for us too, especially after packing until 2AM. Exodus was like driving past a bunch of cars with dead people in them--asleep of course. Later, we parked the truck on the side of the road for a half-hour of rest. I could feel the vehicle pull towards the slipstreams caused by RVs and other cars bombing down that road. I'm glad none of them hit us.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby TABjuggler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:16 am

I heard from a friend who had a ranger in their camp talk of someone falling off the beehive either tuesday or wen night that they heard about via their radio (I don't remember which day). I climbed it and it isn't like it was very safe, so I wanted to find out more details about this person . I really hope they were okay!

Did anyone else hear about this fall?
TABjuggler

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: HippiTrix

Postby Jackass » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 am

There's people falling off of art, structures and MVs all week long throughout the city, that's just what they do. Most are ok just really beat up and sore, they'll hobble around the rest of the week and not get checked out til they're shitting blood.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:53 am

I fell a couple times when I tripped on the playa, but I'm okay now.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Bexx » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:28 pm

Jackass wrote:There's people falling off of art, structures and MVs all week long throughout the city, that's just what they do. Most are ok just really beat up and sore, they'll hobble around the rest of the week and not get checked out til they're shitting blood.

I fell offa the helicopter art car as it was parked. Kids.. BOOZE WILL DO STRANGE THINGS TO YOU! do not get on helicopter art cars while boozed up.
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man