2012 Experiences with Police

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: 2012 Experiences with Police

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Eric wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Stopped for a dirty Lic. plate and end up have the dog brought in.. There has to be more to this story...

It's hard to listen to a good cop story, When you only get half the story..

I dunno UJ. I was hearing from a "friend in high places" that the police were pulling people over for any reason on Gate road - obstructed plates, "unsafe" tie-downs, "suspicious activity" (lighting a cigarette)... basically, letting people know in advance they were there in force. Last year (2011) there was a cluster of about 6 police vehicles (sheriff & BLM) sitting right in the road just past Greeters a bit, one of them had someone pulled over, this seems like an upping of that routine.

I look at it as a warning that the Stupid Tax is in full effect.

I watch these thread to see how I have to change to adapt..

Looks like I will move the plates & light up out of the road dirt.
I already pull over at the Gerlach dump and clean the windows, mirrors and lights before going in and coming out.. Got some kick ass tail and turn lights on a a bar.. I always walk a inspection tour of the van and trailer.. Just a habit from over the road hauls of yesteryears. It's good to clean the bug guts off before getting a weeks worth of playa dust..
unjonharley

Postby uncle sticky » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Both my default world neighbors got pulled over for the obstructed license plate, detained, and dog searched, and another neighbor across the street from me for the same offense. I doubt either used the ACLU protocols, and handed over illegal substances without much of a search. Seems that the leo activity was very heavy at entry, and that dogs were readily available to search during the routine traffic stop period.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Postby wraith » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 am

Eric wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Stopped for a dirty Lic. plate and end up have the dog brought in.. There has to be more to this story...

It's hard to listen to a good cop story, When you only get half the story..

I dunno UJ. I was hearing from a "friend in high places" that the police were pulling people over for any reason on Gate road - obstructed plates, "unsafe" tie-downs, "suspicious activity" (lighting a cigarette)... basically, letting people know in advance they were there in force. Last year (2011) there was a cluster of about 6 police vehicles (sheriff & BLM) sitting right in the road just past Greeters a bit, one of them had someone pulled over, this seems like an upping of that routine.

I look at it as a warning that the Stupid Tax is in full effect.

I continue to be amazed how many people seem willing, nay eager, to pay it.
wraith

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:06 am

from tv4 news:

GERLACH/EMPIRE, Nev. (KRNV & MyNews4.com) -- Washoe County Sheriff's Office has released the crime citations and arrests made during this year's Burning Man event.

Thirteen misdemeanor citations (in lieu of arrests) for possession of a controlled substance (marijuana/drug paraphernalia) were issued. Seven DUI arrests were made. Four drug arrests and four warrant arrests were also made.

In the period between Aug. 22 and Sept. 6, Washoe County issued 472 traffic violations citations in the area of Gerlach and Empire.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby CornMan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:13 am

It's their Christmas season! Deck the halls with tickets and citations, la la la la... They got me for my out of date California tags. Apparently, I didn't fit their profile as a stoner, so he didn't try to search me.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:25 am

EspressoDude wrote:from tv4 news:

GERLACH/EMPIRE, Nev. (KRNV & MyNews4.com) -- Washoe County Sheriff's Office has released the crime citations and arrests made during this year's Burning Man event.

Thirteen misdemeanor citations (in lieu of arrests) for possession of a controlled substance (marijuana/drug paraphernalia) were issued. Seven DUI arrests were made. Four drug arrests and four warrant arrests were also made.

In the period between Aug. 22 and Sept. 6, Washoe County issued 472 traffic violations citations in the area of Gerlach and Empire.

*One* Frisco motorcycle cop can bag that many traffic violations in a week, and probably does.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:33 am

EspressoDude wrote:Thirteen misdemeanor citations (in lieu of arrests) for possession of a controlled substance (marijuana/drug paraphernalia) were issued.

I presume this would be the instances where someone admitted to possession and got one of the $500 tickets? That seems like an incredibly low number. I've probably read 10 stories on eplaya where people admitted possession and took the ticket this year, so it seems I've read about almost every instance of this happening, no?
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby CornMan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:38 am

Bob wrote:
EspressoDude wrote:from tv4 news:

*One* Frisco motorcycle cop can bag that many traffic violations in a week, and probably does.

But there's 775,000 people living there, and about 125,000 visitors each day. It's safe to round it up to a million people.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:42 am

MacGlenver wrote:
EspressoDude wrote:Thirteen misdemeanor citations (in lieu of arrests) for possession of a controlled substance (marijuana/drug paraphernalia) were issued.

I presume this would be the instances where someone admitted to possession and got one of the $500 tickets? That seems like an incredibly low number. I've probably read 10 stories on eplaya where people admitted possession and took the ticket this year, so it seems I've read about almost every instance of this happening, no?

No, because that report is for Washoe county - the Playa is in Pershing county so basically these are just the ones that happened going to and from the event, not at the event itself.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:46 am

Drawingablank wrote:No, because that report is for Washoe county - the Playa is in Pershing county so basically these are just the ones that happened going to and from the event, not at the event itself.

Ah yes, of course. Good call.
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 am

Were most of the pull overs for plate obstruction??

And were these mostly for having a trailer in front of the plate??

If so, Everyone needs to know these facts..

WE need to get an eplaya sheet going.. So we can make our self less noticeable..

Or were the stops for speeding???
unjonharley

Postby TABjuggler » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 am

Hi, my name is TAB and this was my first year out on the Playa and I had a blast!

I just want to post some positive experiences with LEO on the playa for me this year.

The first experience that I had with an LEO, was in center camp in the very, very wee hours of the morning. I had been juggling in there for about 8 hours straight with a friend and this cop walks up to us and just starts talking to us and juggling with us. He was a pretty cool dude. He was basically like "okay, I guess I gotta get back to work now" and walked away. It was a very positive experience.

The second experience that I had was with an LEO parked near 2 of his friends on the way to the temple. He called us over to him for hugs. I've never hugged a cop before. Two of us had open containers on us and he didn't give us any trouble for them.

Those were my only experiences with LEO on the Playa this year :)
TABjuggler

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: HippiTrix

Postby BBadger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 am

On the subject of trailers and vehicles, make sure you're well versed in your own state's laws. Remember that laws are applicable only to vehicles registered in that state. Of course make sure your registration is not expired!

For example, trailers in Nevada need a plate on the rear. In Utah they do not if they're unregistered, and only trailers > 750lbs need to be registered*. Our vehicle got pulled over by a cop for some plating issue with regards to our trailer, but directly informing the officer that plating for our trailer in Utah is unnecessary cut the conversation short. With nothing else to pin on us he let us go.

Being well versed in whatever laws the cop may think to try and apply to you can help you avoid being detained by a cop trying to extend the conversation. Every moment you're in active conversation with cops during a stop is an opportunity for them to try and weasel something out of you. Dealing with well-informed burners produces diminishing returns. Cops want suckers who will crumple under light pressure. Stay informed, hold your ground, and know and practice your rights.

* Don't go informing the officer about such details of law unless necessary. Never give them an opening for response.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:41 am

TABjuggler wrote: Two of us had open containers on us and he didn't give us any trouble for them.

I don't believe that having an open container anywhere at Bman is an issue, as long as it's not in the hands of a minor. Can anyone comment?
MacGlenver

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:56 am

MacGlenver wrote:
TABjuggler wrote: Two of us had open containers on us and he didn't give us any trouble for them.

I don't believe that having an open container anywhere at Bman is an issue, as long as it's not in the hands of a minor. Can anyone comment?

In reach of a MV driver.. They can also use that law/DUI for bikes..
In Salem you can not drink in a park without a picnic permit..
unjonharley

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:16 am

unjonharley wrote:
MacGlenver wrote:

In reach of a MV driver.. They can also use that law/DUI for bikes..

Oh yeah, that too. Didnt think too much about biking & drinking -- anyone know how commonly that is ticketed?

I spoke to a MV driver parked at her camp near the O-dome at 7 & A who said they believed an undercover was trying to get them to drink & drive on the MV the night before. The supposed undercover was drunk & they said he kept hitting the throttle while they drove. They ended up "confronting" him by saying something like "You know, we really dont like people who misrepresent who they are.". He had supposedly been spotted in Empire by some of their group earlier in the week having coffee with some local police. He had parked & camped near them, and after the confrontation he left & took his car with him the next morning. I hate to spread rumors of such a crazy story, but the lady owner of the MV I spoke to was part of the temple crew and seemed to be quite sure he was undercover, but obviously I can't coroborate any of it.
MacGlenver

Postby Jackass » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:03 am

This sort of thing is definately not unheard of, happens every year.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:07 am

MacGlenver wrote:

It's not an issue unless it's in the hands of a minor, or within reach of a driver (literally or figuratively; the container shouldn't be within the compartment where the driver is located).

Otherwise, yeah--the whole city is carrying open containers.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 am

The LEOs can and do treat the entire playa as a public roadway, in terms of traffic and vehicle enforcement.

Still allows for some gray areas. I believe the state highway from Gerlach to the playa entrances is posted at the presumptive two-lane highway speed limit of 55 mph, and that the playa also falls within the presumptive speed limit, unless you have a special permit from the BLM to, say, take a land sailer w/ a 40-ft mast up to ~90mph, or a rocket car up to ~767mph.

http://www.highonadventure.com/Hoa06aug/Larry/Black%20Rock%20Desert.htm
http://www.thrustssc.com/

That's the shock wave, btw.

Bob

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:22 am

Despite all the whining here, the LEO's being harsh on entry/ nearby towns to send a message of don't be stupid is a solid tactic I support. That means participants need to respond just as solidly by not being stupid, knowing the laws/ not flagrantly violating them, following ACLU suggestions and being polite/ respectful but firm. Shift the LEO interaction from them questioning you to you connecting with their lives, burner style.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Despite all the whining here, the LEO's being harsh on entry/ nearby towns to send a message of don't be stupid is a solid tactic I support. That means participants need to respond just as solidly by not being stupid, knowing the laws/ not flagrantly violating them, following ACLU suggestions and being polite/ respectful but firm. Shift the LEO interaction from them questioning you to you connecting with their lives, burner style.

Well, yeah, first by not driving a rattletrap Okie wagon with an overloaded trailer fishtailing on the back.

In a couple decades of zooming out there, only been stopped once, back in '97 by a state trooper on I-80 pre-event (knock on wood). The box truck I'd borrowed to buy lumber for an org project had Cali plates, and he wanted to check whether I was conducting commercial business w/o contributing to the state's coffers, but I managed to convince him I was a hired hand building a shack for myself on a cattle ranch out near Gerlach. Which was *essentially* true. Got off with a finger-wag.

Bob

Unjohn dp you work for the LEOs or with them?

Postby PlayaPatrol » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:31 am

Unjohn do you work for the LEOs or with them?
Eplaya is the same few dozen hate filled trolls shouting into the echo chamber for 4 hours per day, every day, for over a decade.
PlayaPatrol

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:28 am

Oooh, somebody's butthurt.

Bob

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:49 am

DTF for life!!!! :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby gyre » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:55 am

Nobody really has over a thousand posts.
It's a grand joke.
gyre

Postby wh..sh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:31 am

I wasn't going to take offense because "more then 1000 posts" has no meaning. But, I see a clever OR clause :(
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Re: Unjohn dp you work for the LEOs or with them?

Postby ygmir » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 am

PlayaPatrol wrote:Unjohn do you work for the LEOs or with them?

PlayaPatrol:
RE: your sig line

no need picking on me, just because I'm a frail meek timid fellow living in my moms basement, sitting naked at my computer.
Jeeze.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Nipple » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 am

I'm only posting to check if I'm a douchetrollfucktard yet.

Edit: 92.5%! So close.
Nipple

Postby ygmir » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:03 pm

*dons tinkerbell outfit, sprinkles douchetrollfrucktard dust on nipple, to help him along*Image

Nipple wrote:I'm only posting to check if I'm a douchetrollfucktard yet.

Edit: 92.5%! So close.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby moonrise » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:23 pm

BBadger wrote:On the subject of trailers and vehicles, make sure you're well versed in your own state's laws. Remember that laws are applicable only to vehicles registered in that state. Of course make sure your registration is not expired!

For example, trailers in Nevada need a plate on the rear. In Utah they do not if they're unregistered, and only trailers > 750lbs need to be registered*. Our vehicle got pulled over by a cop for some plating issue with regards to our trailer, but directly informing the officer that plating for our trailer in Utah is unnecessary cut the conversation short. With nothing else to pin on us he let us go.

Being well versed in whatever laws the cop may think to try and apply to you can help you avoid being detained by a cop trying to extend the conversation. Every moment you're in active conversation with cops during a stop is an opportunity for them to try and weasel something out of you. Dealing with well-informed burners produces diminishing returns. Cops want suckers who will crumple under light pressure. Stay informed, hold your ground, and know and practice your rights.

* Don't go informing the officer about such details of law unless necessary. Never give them an opening for response.

Thank you BBadger and the other serious posters in this thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lived and worked in and commuted between BOTH California and Nevada, for over 30 years. I have heard it all and then some, ugh!

If you have cleared up a traffic violation and have not yet received anything in wirting proving so, I strongly suggest you get as much proof as possible (something in writing is BEST) before you re-enter Nevada. If any court gives you their 'word' things have been cleared up, I wouldn't trust it. You could have an outstanding arrest warrant floating around in their system.

At the very least I suggest you call their court system to ask if you have any outstanding whatevers, pay them money due etc, before you return to Nevada. This state conducts (many) traffic court violations without using cerified mail, btw! Talk about lopsided justice, omfg! The laws of California and other states make me feel all warm and gushy inside (yes, I just puked) compared to Nevada.

Long story short Nevadans know anything in writing and signed can be used to nail them against the wall, up until they sign, they can (and often do) lie through their teeth.

No offense intended to our Nevada fellow Burners, in fact if there's something I got wrong or is in need of elaboration/clarification PLEASE SPIIL IT!

Sorry to sound angry, but this needed to be said.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man