Your thoughts about a virgin camp.

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Your thoughts about a virgin camp.

Postby jerroc » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:11 pm

I have enough basic gear to support up to 10 people

I might be open to allowing virgins who are logistically handicapped because of flying, small car, or finances. meaning low income ticket to share my camp space.

So my questions are:
Are there other camps that are designed around this idea?
Is there a need for another virgin camp?
Is this asking for major drama? I can handle some.
Do I need to be placed? It's not a theme camp.
Can I only accept 1st year people or does this go against any "Rule" ?
Can I not accept couples? For reason of major drama only. I have a family I go home to. I'm not looking for a playa girlfriend

Can I evict camp mates that create major drama?
Can I refuse camp space to any camp mates that show up completely unprepared. (no water, food, or way of packing out trash) ?

I could really use any ideas or advise anyone can offer.
jerroc

Re: Your thoughts about a virgin camp.

Postby thelionking » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:10 am

I can only offer thoughts about my experience with a "virgin camp".

2011 was my first year. Sparky made a post in the ePlaya offering a similar set up. I took him up on his offer as said several members.

The camp was not placed, but you obviously need to communicate to the camp members where you plan to camp beforehand.

Yes many camps offer help to first timers. I think there is always a need for something like this and I appreciated what Sparky did for me in 2011.

You can accept whomever you wish. The only rules are what you decide are the rules for your camp. Just be sure that you make the rules and everyone knows the rules before they get there. Accepting only couples is your call.

The issue of "drama" is the hardest issue. Drama comes in many forms. We had some drama in our camp in 2011. It mainly revolved around doing work around the camp and people who didn't pay the dues that were asked for before even arriving to the camp. Talk is cheap on the ePlaya and in emails. When push comes to shove, you may find that your first timers may be overwhelmed or just damn lazy or they may embrace the spirit of the camp and event and make for a great camp. At the end of the event, Sparky was pretty bummed and it did hurt his enjoyment of the burn That is also a risk you will be taking. He didn't kick anyone out despite not ovine up to their commitments.

Honestly, if you are going to take some level of responsibility for first timers, I don't think you should be kicking people out of the camp for things like not living up to your expectation and the expectations o the event. Also refusing camp space to those who came unprepared seems down right nasty. That is the risk you take arranging this for other members. Communication and instructions will prevent that from happening.

I think with a lot of communication before the event, you will have a pretty good idea who does or does not have their life in order to participate. it will definitely be extra work for you. But I think there is a special karma received for helping first times. Also seeing their look of awe is much like seeing a child's first visit to Disneyland. It would be hard not to be stoked about seeing that.

Best of luck to you.
thelionking

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby CornMan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:48 am

Yes, it takes a lot of communication. One of the things to discuss on your facebook page would be the expectations regarding trash. It often surprises virgins how much trash they end up with at the end of the event.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby jerroc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:14 am

Honestly, if you are going to take some level of responsibility for first timers, I don't think you should be kicking people out of the camp for things like not living up to your expectation and the expectations o the event. Also refusing camp space to those who came unprepared seems down right nasty.

I did not intend to give this impression. I would only evict for aggression, Drug use, stealing, or providing alcohol to person under 21. At this point I don't intend on Asking for camp dues. I have most of the basic items such as dome, shade, shower, evap pond, tools, bike rack, enclosed traile, Genny, I can bring extra water if arangements were made. I do not intend on taking responsibility only providing logistics for the large items. Each peorson would need to take care of the rest of what is needed. Camp space would only be refused to those who were asked to bring enough water, food and a leave no trace plan and they show up expecting the playa to provide. I agree communication is very important.
jerroc

Return to 2012 Theme Camps