Serendipity

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Serendipity

Postby Lonesomebri » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Stumbling blind into where you were meant to be, realizing the art you are in front of unexpectedly is what you had planned to see all along, running into friends in strange places, or running into strangers who are obviously your friends, the unanticipated that had to happen.

Last year it was my buddy hyping coconut water as a hang-over cure, without ever trying it or actually getting any… I’m riding my bike thru my BRC hood, and there is a guy with a machete knocking the tops off coconuts and sticking straws in them. He offers me one. I mention my buddy’s fixation, and the guy gives me another coconut for my buddy back at camp, because my buddy was the one who “manifest” this exchange here.

This year during the ticket scramble, one of the people I met heckling online here turned out to have visited my camp the previous year and talked with me, questioning my judgment even back then (but that is another story). What a small city !!! BRC 2011-“We have it listed as a camp event in the Guide. It’s an eternal flame that runs from 5:45 to 6pm daily, weather permitting.” “Really? Well, good luck with that.” We had already snarked in person !

This year I see a craigslisting from TaxiJack, dude runs some pedicabs on the playa. You see, this concerns me because I run a Chariot behind my bike. Mine is not a pedicab, oh no. But you can see the similarities here. We both haul people around the playa and realize just how cool that is. I got my rig off craiglist and that’s where I also learned of TaxiJack and his empire. It was just him before, but then he started turning other people on to the joy of hauling others around. He’s made several TaxiJack pedicabs and lent them out to others this year. He’s my competition, my nemesis, my obsession (I can pretend, right?). I’m not saying that he’s my rival in any way, but he is so totally my rival, in theory. So, this year, at one of the early burns, out of the blue I run into the man, TaxiJack himself. Can’t even remember how the conversation came up where we introduced each other and I learned his true identity and tried to explain to him the nature of our rivalry. Nice guy. Next year I’m gonna have to hustle twice as hard to steal business from him….

And, since returning from this year’s burn, I received an email; someone seeing my flyer up at Center Camp has found my Lost Dog Snowball !!!!
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Re: Serendipity

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Yeah - we call it "playadipity"

This year I was restless & no-one was around camp, so I went off looking for a friend. I heard people talking softly in his tent and shouted out a "hello", got a "busy!" as a response (*sigh*)

The next night he comes over to our camp so we can begin the evenings adventures in the Friday whiteout, and asks if he can bring some others along. They turn out to be two wonderful girls...and the reason he was "busy", an old friend of mine I hadn't seen in 8 years (since he moved to Israel). I had no idea he was at the Burn, and he was shocked as all hell when I shouted his name as he walked into the RV. Turned out to be one of the best nights of this and any year.

Best playadipity ever!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:18 pm

A $20 bill literally blew into my hand when I was walking the trash fence in '99.

Looked around for DB Cooper, but no luck.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Lonesomebri » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Bob wrote:A $20 bill literally blew into my hand when I was walking the trash fence in '99.

Looked around for DB Cooper, but no luck.

Wow, talk about serendipity.....could you please describe to me that $20 bill.......
I didn't notice I'd dropped it til the slots in Boomtown.
Lonesomebri

Postby Zhust » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:19 pm

I walked to the Burn Wall Street site and checked out art cars. I sat down and was thinking I could go for a nip of whiskey. A guy sat down next to me and stuffed a bottle of bourbon into my field of view. He said his name was Yuri. It took a few minutes to ask, but it turned out I knew him from Rochester a few years ago. He was just walking through looking for someone to sit near and picked me pretty much at random (without knowing he knew me.)
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:21 pm

theres a ghost town right outside of lovelock called Rochester...

no matter where you go, there you are.... :twisted:
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ygmir » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:theres a ghost town right outside of lovelock called Rochester...

no matter where you go, there you are.... :twisted:

Jack Benny's ghost is there.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:44 am

Yggy, how many of these hippie namaste-chanting vegan whippersnappers do you think will get that joke?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:21 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:Yggy, how many of these hippie namaste-chanting vegan whippersnappers do you think will get that joke?

probably none......it was aimed at the seasoned intellectuals among us.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Lonesomebri » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:22 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:Yggy, how many of these hippie namaste-chanting vegan whippersnappers do you think will get that joke?

I wouldn't touch it with a 12 inch stick.
Lonesomebri

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:59 am

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:14 pm

ygmir wrote:

*checks carefully* No, I don't smell like oregano. I guess I won't get it either.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:32 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:

*checks carefully* No, I don't smell like oregano. I guess I won't get it either.

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby BBadger » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:30 pm

In 2011 after a long night of partying and having fun we decided to finish the night by watching the sunrise. So we ride out into the middle of the playa trying to find a nice place to sit and watch the sun unfold.

Then we happen upon a couch wired to the ground in the playa facing the city.

"Holy shit! A couch!"

We flipped that thing around and it was a perfect place to watch the sun rise. I even got a photo of our moment of relative peace.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby SaritaSyrah » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:And, since returning from this year’s burn, I received an email; someone seeing my flyer up at Center Camp has found my Lost Dog Snowball !!!!

Your dog was lost? On the playa?
BURN SHIT!
SaritaSyrah

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby Lonesomebri » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

SaritaSyrah wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:And, since returning from this year’s burn, I received an email; someone seeing my flyer up at Center Camp has found my Lost Dog Snowball !!!!

Your dog was lost? On the playa?

Yeah, I left the little scrumpousness tied to the Man, went out the next morning sober and must have gotton all turned around, couldn't find the Man at all. Some good Samaritan has contacted me via email, going off my avatar and the Lost Dog signs I posted burn night, they found my puppy and have tied it securely to the "temple", whatever that is. Anyway, once I find that, the happy reunion begins.

Do you know Mel from BDC? She told me it was okay to bring my puppy.

You don't need no playa and string to go hippy fishing.
Lonesomebri

Postby SaritaSyrah » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:32 pm

hahahaha

FUCK

I feel silly. You got me.
BURN SHIT!
SaritaSyrah

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:12 pm

SaritaSyrah wrote:Your dog was lost? On the playa?

Lonesomebri

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:49 am

I get it, but don't know whether to feel smug about being old.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Return to Experiences at Burning Man