I almost totally forgot about this awesome thing ...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

I almost totally forgot about this awesome thing ...

Postby Zhust » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:50 pm

I like to document things, in part because I like to find things that other people have documented about me. I rarely do but I keep looking anyway.

So if you had some awesome thing you saw or did or enjoyed, do tell!
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Re: I almost totally forgot about this awesome thing ...

Postby Zhust » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:55 pm

I'll start because I'm a narcissistic douche.

One thing was around 3 and A or so. I think. It was a camp that combined a polygraph with shamanism. The idea was to take a painful experience and redefine it to be something more positive. You talk about your experience using the polygraph (as best I could tell, a real EKG/pulse/facial-expression-based polygraph). Then you go talk with a shaman about that experience, pass through a "tunnel of rebirth" and talk with another shaman to redefine the experience.

I picked a bad time I had in 2008 at Burning Man. I have been working to reconcile it and I think it helped to talk about it, and I think it helped to try and redefine it emotionally.
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Postby Zhust » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:04 pm

And I'll go again. Thanks!

I set up this thing called "Lonely Lamppost" at 1:00 and 2,600' which is about halfway from the Temple to 2 and Esplanade, over by the Breast Stop and the spiky balls.

Lonely Lamppost by jaycerochester, on Flickr

I got placed pretty much there although I nudged a little toward 12:45 so one "road" could be "The Man-Black Rock Bijou Rd." and the other "Burn Wall St.-Dream Tree Rd." — the idea being the lamppost defines that intersection with street signs.

One night I went out to check out Dream Tree. It was a smallish installation (on Playa scale, at least) and looked a bit like the stump of a tree. It was covered in fabric and there was a way to get inside. Once inside, you could somewhat lock the door, and you were sitting on a wood platform about 4 feet in diameter. The top was open to the sky.

I went at night and was in a bit of a surly kind of mood. I looked up and saw the stars then semi-meditated there for a bit. I found my mood was getting amplified back at me — as if the tree itself were surly too. I was surprised how effective it was (especially since I'm not particularly receptive). When I left some other people had come by to check it out.

It was gone by Saturday or early Sunday. I never found out who did the artwork, and although it was placed, it wasn't on the Burning Man art list
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Postby tamarakay » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:23 pm

The things I love are the ideas that form on Eplaya and then see them become on the playa. Like the pier, anubis, foxy's camper. I love reading about the trials and tribulations, then seeing peoples' dreams come alive on the playa.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Return to Experiences at Burning Man