Now that the dust has settled ...

All things outside of Burning Man.

Now that the dust has settled ...

Postby maryanimal » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:24 pm

How are you doing since leaving the playa? Decompressing alright? Finally have all your gear cleaned, packed, and put away?

I started to finally clean my car out starting with the engine compartment, using a real strong air hose, and got a face full of dust...and loved every minute of it. I laughed so hard, but still have a lot of my car to still clean!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Now that the dust has settled ...

Postby maryanimal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Plus packing my things here getting read to move!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:53 pm

maryanimal wrote:Plus packing my things here getting read to move!

where are you moving to? i'm considering a move myself
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby maryanimal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:12 pm

I'm just moving into a different place in the same city!
maryanimal

Postby Rice » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:55 pm

Since I only flew home on Sept 9th, my gear is still sitting in the two hockey bags I used to transport it to the burn. It seems I lack the motivation to get everything clean. So far I have done one load of laundry.

I was asked to stay in BRC till the Saturday a week after the Man Burn :) It was really cool to see how much is really involved in creating our temporary oasis. Dozens of empty semis driving in each day, returning with full loads of trailers, portos, buildings and such. Best three weeks on-playa I have ever had. (ok, the rain that shorted out the grid and shut the city down for 6 hrs was kind of annoying, but sun dried everything out and we were able to get back up after a few hours of troubleshooting. - Had to redo the road from point 1 because the rain destroyed the existing road.)

I was dissapointed to see dozens of abandoned camps, lawn chairs and hundreds of abandoned bikes. Piles of water & lawn chairs, etc. Plus lots of piles of garbage bags. What the hell is that about?? If you had room to bring it, you have room to take it away. No excuses. {grumble}
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby maryanimal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:06 pm

That's great you being able to stay that long! It would've been great watching the city exit little by little. But leaving all the bikes, rubbish and all that behind is really is inexcusable. Shame on them for sure.

The first thing I did was do my laundry! Today I washed my duffel bags and the utensils etc. I used for my kitchen. I'm going to pack my playa clothing today.

I still havvve a bunch of cleaning to do, but it'll be done in time.
maryanimal

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:09 pm

stretch80 wrote:
I was dissapointed to see dozens of abandoned camps, lawn chairs and hundreds of abandoned bikes. Piles of water & lawn chairs, etc. Plus lots of piles of garbage bags. What the hell is that about?? If you had room to bring it, you have room to take it away. No excuses. {grumble}

IMHO this is a much greater transgression than feathers.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:19 pm

stretch80 wrote:Since I only flew home on Sept 9th, my gear is still sitting in the two hockey bags I used to transport it to the burn. It seems I lack the motivation to get everything clean. So far I have done one load of laundry.

same here. today i was still unloading stuff from my truck.

I was asked to stay in BRC till the Saturday a week after the Man Burn :) It was really cool to see how much is really involved in creating our temporary oasis. .... Best three weeks on-playa I have ever had.

i would really love to have an extended experience like that. this year was my first burn and i got really sad when the camps around me started packing up and disappearing so i took off too. but i wasn't ready for it to end.

i plan to be way more involved this next burn. just not sure how.

i
clocksnmirrors

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:20 pm

maryanimal wrote:I'm just moving into a different place in the same city!

well i hope it's a change for the best! :D
clocksnmirrors

Postby RedHeaven » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:30 pm

I've been on the eplaya more than ever!!! I love it!!! A little slice of bizarro home!!! Peace, y'all!
Happy Cleaning
I just shook out my tents rainflap, got a face full of dust, it gets on my skin and I dont want to wash it off. WHATS UP WITH THAT STUFF??? It's corrosive and addicting!!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:31 pm

RedHeaven wrote:I've been on the eplaya more than ever!!! I love it!!! A little slice of bizarro home!!! Peace, y'all!
Happy Cleaning
I just shook out my tents rainflap, got a face full of dust, it gets on my skin and I dont want to wash it off. WHATS UP WITH THAT STUFF??? It's corrosive and addicting!!

hahah you're so right. i caught myself sniffing my dust bandanas just to get the scent in my nostrils... good stuff!
clocksnmirrors

Postby maryanimal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:05 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:
RedHeaven wrote:I've been on the eplaya more than ever!!! I love it!!! A little slice of bizarro home!!! Peace, y'all!
Happy Cleaning

hahah you're so right. i caught myself sniffing my dust bandanas just to get the scent in my nostrils... good stuff!

Isn't it a wonderful, mystical smell. I've been smelling dust since last burn in me a/c and hen I turned on my car heater!
Also if you want to get more involved next year, Greeters is a great place to start. It so much fun welcoming the virgins and welcoming folks returning!
maryanimal

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:08 pm

maryanimal wrote:Also if you want to get more involved next year, Greeters is a great place to start. It so much fun welcoming the virgins and welcoming folks returning!

i actually really like that idea. great reason to be there early

i just hope i can find a living and work situation that will allow me to spend two or three weeks on the playa.

maybe it's time to go freelance
clocksnmirrors

Postby maryanimal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Happy Cleaning

RH, I brought home a half of a sandwich sized ziploc bag of playa dust. I have plans for it for gifting. AND it is addictive isn't it?

clocksandmirrors, my moving is a Good thing! And try volunteering at Arctic to help sell ice., or center camped cafe! I'm going to volunteer for all three next year!
maryanimal

Postby Savannah » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:18 pm

http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html

There was an ePlaya ice shift this year! I'm told it was excellent fun (and ice shifts are 3 hours long, so it's a good way to get your feet wet).
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby maryanimal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:18 pm

I meant to type Center Camp Cafe. Its hard to edit on my cell phone. And you can still belong to a great camp to volunteer anywhere you want.
maryanimal

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Savannah wrote:http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html

There was an ePlaya ice shift this year! I'm told it was excellent fun (and ice shifts are 3 hours long, so it's a good way to get your feet wet).

oh that does sound like a good time! thanks for the link! :!:
clocksnmirrors

Postby maryanimal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks for posting that Savannah! I can't wait to get my computer fixed! There was a Barbie Death Village Greeters night too. It was a blast!

Btw c&m, I love your floral chapeau!
maryanimal

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:50 pm

maryanimal wrote:Btw c&m, I love your floral chapeau!

thanks! it's amazing what you can do with a few dollar store flowers and electrical tape

i actually had a white arrangement that lit up for night time use
clocksnmirrors

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:16 pm

Our 14yo tuxedo cat is one we rescued from the org's old storage ranch north of Gerlach. She gives us the stink-eye when one or both of us pulls camping gear out, but we always find her napping on the dusty pile of stuff after the return.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby maryanimal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:17 pm

So does it cover your whole head is it like a head band?
maryanimal

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:23 pm

maryanimal wrote:So does it cover your whole head is it like a head band?

it's a ring of flowers. super easy to make
clocksnmirrors

Postby maryanimal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Bob wrote:Our 14yo tuxedo cat is one we rescued from the org's old storage ranch north of Gerlach. She gives us the stink-eye when one or both of us pulls camping gear out, but we always find her napping on the dusty pile of stuff after the return.

I absolutely love tuxedo cats! I mine until he passed away at 12 due to feline leukemia. He was a catly cat. His name was Nathaniel Joshua. We called him pootnagle, or poot for short. He found me one day. He was all cute-like sitting in front of my frontroom windows. I think he must have been about 3 months old.
maryanimal

Postby maryanimal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:27 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:
maryanimal wrote:So does it cover your whole head is it like a head band?

it's a ring of flowers. super easy to make

Ok, can you pm me with some instructions? :D
maryanimal

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:32 pm

maryanimal wrote:Ok, can you pm me with some instructions? :D

i'll be happy to! actually i gave both mine away and i really want another one, so i'll document the steps in photo and post them to you :D

i can't tell you how much i enjoyed plopping it on just to hang around the house
clocksnmirrors

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:03 pm

The rv is still in silver springs getting the last of the repairs done. So i get to drive an rv full of playa dust 450 miles home!
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby maryanimal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:53 pm

thanks c&m! I'm not the crafty type!

ranger:
I wish I only lived 450 miles from the burn, but I'm glad you're getting the RV repaired. Make lemonade out of lemons though. You get to have the feeling of being on the playa until you get home! :mrgreen:
maryanimal

Postby Trishntek » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:05 pm

We arrived in Ventura to a hand-full of folks ready to help unload and spray down the bins, furniture, etc. with vinegar water and rinse with the hose before stacking in the garage.

We then had a crew of 3 to 5 for 3 days of helping get most things back together for The Place Next Door (Retrofrolic the other 11 months). We gladly fed them and bed them for all their help!

I just polished and cleaned my leather today and now enjoy a slow-paced detailing of TPND for an October 6th opening.

There is plenty of playa in our quadruple-wide driveway, the gutter and out into our street. It will be white until the first good rains.

Personally, even though this year was MUCH MORE WORK, I'm feeling MUCH MORE RESTED because of all the wonderful help on and off the playa this year. This time last year, I collapsed for a 14 hour nap. So far, I'm just having problems sitting still for more than a few minutes at a time.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby delle » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:20 am

maryanimal wrote:Btw c&m, I love your floral chapeau!

Me too. Throws me right back to the 60's bathingcaps the old ladies used to wear proudly on the beach. Only yours looks way more comfortable!
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:19 am

Im sure decom sucks harder for me this year because I know for a fact I cannot attend next year. Hurts!!!

Just woke up from MAJOR Bman dreams. Phew!!!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Next

Return to Open Discussion