Stupid-easy way to bring music to BRC?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Stupid-easy way to bring music to BRC?

Postby Elliot » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:07 pm

:D
Hello, I'm Elliot and I'm a Luddite. I last bought an electronic gadget ten years ago and I'm still using it -- this computer. I struggle each day to make it work. It has no sound and will not play video, and I don't mind.

I was lucky to camp in a thundering-techno-free neighborhood this year, and next year I would like to bring some records for my camp. The spring broke in my Victrola and my eight-tracks are all worn out. So now I have my music on these newfangled CDs. And I'm feeling daring, so I'm thinking... What if I can copy all my favorite tracks onto some sort of computerized device and have them play non-stop like my very own personal radio station?

Of course, I'm a Luddite but not an idiot. I know this can be done. My question is how -- dirt cheap and even simpler to operate. I reckon I can buy a tuner/amplifier and speakers in a thrift store. What else do I need? A $50,- laptop computer from one of the stores that specialize in selling year-old such? An I-pod? ( I would not recognize an I-pod if it smacked me in the face; not kidding. And I do not own a cell phone.)

Anybody feel like dumbing down to my level for this? :lol:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Re: Stupid-easy way to bring music to BRC?

Postby gaminwench » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:09 pm

(((Elliot)))
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Lonesomebri » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Elliot, my carrier pidgeon should be reaching you any moment with the info you need.

Though seeing as how I could not be counted on to deliver a simple box of wine to you.........

The ipod should store the music, but not sure how to amplify it, etc. If no geniuses arise to aid your quest here, I know an IT guy who lives over the hill from you in Hopland. I'll ask him and see what he suggests.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm with ya Elliot!

I'm thinking the same thing as my cassettes and cd's seemed to use up my power, it looks like I'll be learning about Ipods or mp3's to save on batteries!

I hope someone can larn us. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:46 pm

I plug the Ipod in to an old boom box.. Was using cds this way, but again the power drain.. The boom box takes 8 batteries +12v.. So I just hooked a wire on the +&- where to batteries would be.. They make 12v to Ipod chargers.. Have used this set up for years on the playa.. Also at times have hooked in two soler panel ($14 bucks at Harbor F to extend the to AAs in the disc player.. My kids down load the music I want.. I bought a boom box Cd player that has mp3 input jack and speaked output jack $29 @ Wally World.. My kid needed a set up to teach her summer classes.. I'll be bring it to the playa for back up.. Or could put it in line for additional sound amp..
unjonharley

Postby Jackass » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Computer speakers that have a sub-woofer and two separates give fairly big sound and are cheap at flea markets, yardsales, or on sale new. They usually have a transformer on the plug because they require 12v dc, so I just cut plug off and hooked it to the battery that way I don't waste energy powering the inverter or the transformer.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby maladroit » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:54 pm

You don't need an actual iPod to do this, unless all your music is in iTunes. If you have a lot of MP3's or CDs that can be converted to MP3's, you can pick up really cheap portable MP3 players at virtually any store. Some will even have large color screens. Anything not from a major brand will be somewhere near $30 for a pretty fancy model. The Sansa brand is pretty popular: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Cli ... b_title_ce

Anything with an audio input. You could go with a boombox with an input, or an amp and speakers. Something that can take 12VDC will obviously be more efficient when using a deep cycle battery.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:15 pm

maladroit wrote:You don't need an actual iPod to do this, unless all your music is in iTunes. If you have a lot of MP3's or CDs that can be converted to MP3's, you can pick up really cheap portable MP3 players at virtually any store. Some will even have large color screens. Anything not from a major brand will be somewhere near $30 for a pretty fancy model. The Sansa brand is pretty popular: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Cli ... b_title_ce

Anything with an audio input. You could go with a boombox with an input, or an amp and speakers. Something that can take 12VDC will obviously be more efficient when using a deep cycle battery.

Sorry I used the word Ipod.. I have four mp3 players.. Each has a music mix I use on the playa.. One year I used batteries in the boom box "to amp" the batteries lasted three days with a lot of use.. Next year I'm going with "military style" public address horns. The music I play is 1940s 50s.. Back then everything was in mono..
unjonharley

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:59 pm

The (recorded) musical experience I've treasured above all others was in fact someone who brought a Victrola down to Center Camp early in the week in 1997, when I'd finished repairing the Cafe after windstorm damage, before all the crowds showed up. Caruso 78s echoing in the quiet, nothing like it.

Just bring a boombox in a nylon suitcase.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Elorrum » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:10 pm

how loud do you want it Elliot? just camp music or "Hi I'm your neighbor from down the street" music? You saw one of my little systems at the Hoff-do.
I wrote to figam:
"I made the pirate boom box for MyDearFriend with the Dayton DTA-1 (?) module. This is the guts of the sonic impact amp that has a big following. It comes with a 12V female input on the board, and a 2 wire power input that you can run clips to. it runs off 8 AA batteries for a long time... 8-12 hours? I got a kids toychest, cut 4 holes in it and put in four speakers. the rest was just dressing. I like the sound fidelity I get with these, over some boomboxes. mini plug stereo input jack, I just got a cheap min plug/mini plug cord. one end in mp3 player, one end in amp.
here's a cute little thing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDA7297-2-15W-A ... 4607aa9d78 The specs on amps from hong kong are usually over rated, but they do work. This is one I use sometimes: and no it is not 500 watts :)http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-Ch-Digita ... 35bfce363c having the case premade is nice too.
a nine volt power draw makes a teeny system, although the batteries don't last too long, they are fun for the effect something small and very portable can provide. Smaller power amps, 1.5 watts can even run off 6V. I've made a few canakit amps that fit in an altoids tin with a nine volt battery. http://www.canakit.com/mini-walkman-ste ... uk122.html
couple the amp with some decent full range speakers (front loaded horn, some sono-tube, or pvc is great) cheap factory buyouts available at parts express... cheap enough to play with or not cry if the playa wrecks them (I haven't lost any yet)
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Elliot » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:25 pm

I should mention I also have the option of 110 Volt AC "household" power from my Honda EU-3000 (quiet) generator. How loud do I want? Not at all. Just quiet in-camp music when there is nothing loud in the neighborhood to tap my foot to. But decent fidelity would be nice. Leon Redbone would not sound good in a tin can.

Please keep the information coming, and I'll have music (in addition to wine) for my bicycle repair customers next year. :D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Elorrum » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:46 pm

These radios come up on ebay from time to time at a good price. I waited and found one for around $70. It is the best sound in the size I've ever heard. really good. It's my main radio at home, and my bedside speaker for movies on my kindle. I wish as a tuner it had an output jack. Charges from 12V source, 500mA. replacement batteries available. rubberized weather resistant case. Put it in a ziplock bag.
http://www.tivoliaudio.com/products/por ... black.html
Elorrum

Postby graidawg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:15 am

Elorrum wrote:how loud do you want it Elliot? just camp music or "Hi I'm your neighbor from down the street" music? You saw one of my little systems at the Hoff-do.
I wrote to figam:
"I made the pirate boom box for MyDearFriend with the Dayton DTA-1 (?) module. This is the guts of the sonic impact amp that has a big following. It comes with a 12V female input on the board, and a 2 wire power input that you can run clips to. it runs off 8 AA batteries for a long time... 8-12 hours? I got a kids toychest, cut 4 holes in it and put in four speakers. the rest was just dressing. I like the sound fidelity I get with these, over some boomboxes. mini plug stereo input jack, I just got a cheap min plug/mini plug cord. one end in mp3 player, one end in amp.
here's a cute little thing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TDA7297-2-15W-A ... 4607aa9d78 The specs on amps from hong kong are usually over rated, but they do work. This is one I use sometimes: and no it is not 500 watts :)http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-Ch-Digita ... 35bfce363c having the case premade is nice too.
a nine volt power draw makes a teeny system, although the batteries don't last too long, they are fun for the effect something small and very portable can provide. Smaller power amps, 1.5 watts can even run off 6V. I've made a few canakit amps that fit in an altoids tin with a nine volt battery. http://www.canakit.com/mini-walkman-ste ... uk122.html
couple the amp with some decent full range speakers (front loaded horn, some sono-tube, or pvc is great) cheap factory buyouts available at parts express... cheap enough to play with or not cry if the playa wrecks them (I haven't lost any yet)

The sound from the pirate boom box was great, it could be run from mains power as well so having it plugged into a generator for in camp and batteries for out and about. I was thinking with "shots in the dark" it would make a superb mobile bar - music and drinks a few folding chairs as well and a lounge in the desert is born

hang on thats a great idea. I'm going to work on this
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:57 am

Elorrum wrote:These radios come up on ebay from time to time at a good price. I waited and found one for around $70. It is the best sound in the size I've ever heard. really good. It's my main radio at home, and my bedside speaker for movies on my kindle. I wish as a tuner it had an output jack. Charges from 12V source, 500mA. replacement batteries available. rubberized weather resistant case. Put it in a ziplock bag.
http://www.tivoliaudio.com/products/por ... black.html

I use a cheap ~$20 knockoff of that for listening to the baseball game. A friend says it works fine with an MP3 player feeding the Aux input. Strictly AA-battery-or-AC though, doesn't use an external brick.

Bob

Postby Elorrum » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:06 am

I like that the kinter amp ( $13) also has a usb charger port, very handy to keep the ipod charged! Or gasp, phone. I ran off a pack of d batteries all week and charged my ipod as well.
I've often thought of setting up chairs deep playa, keeping a kettle boiling, making coffee and just watching the passing parade. "Set up some bleachers out in the sun, and have it out on highway 51."
Elorrum

Postby unjonharley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:13 am

Bob wrote:

I use a cheap ~$20 knockoff of that for listening to the baseball game. A friend says it works fine with an MP3 player feeding the Aux input. Strictly AA-battery-or-AC though, doesn't use an external brick.

I have a cigar lighter adapter that's out put is 4.5v.. Have used it to run disc player on the playa.. One came with and old disc player.. The other can be set to 4.5volts.
unjonharley

Postby graidawg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:38 am

Elorrum wrote:I like that the kinter amp ( $13) also has a usb charger port, very handy to keep the ipod charged! Or gasp, phone. I ran off a pack of d batteries all week and charged my ipod as well.
I've often thought of setting up chairs deep playa, keeping a kettle boiling, making coffee and just watching the passing parade. "Set up some bleachers out in the sun, and have it out on highway 51."

add some music, mabe a few drinks for later on in the evening bar snacks and the like and you have a wonderful art piece "watching the freaks"
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:59 am

Never understood the desperate need some people have for canned music plugged into their ears, on or off the playa.

Considered supplying your bike repair customers w/ a soapbox, tambourine, green jacket & a shot of Jameson's, and calling yourself the Salvation Barmy?

Bob

Postby BBadger » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:14 am

Just buy a cheap-ass boom box at a thrift store. They use batteries, they sound OK, and they're all in one. Oh yeah, and nobody would want to steal it.

Hook up to it with some headphone-jack-to-RCA cable connected to the auxiliary input, connect it to your portable audio player, and you're done. If you want something fancier, get one of those boom boxes with a dock on it for your iPod or whatever you want.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elliot » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:39 am

BBadger wrote:Just buy a cheap-ass boom box at a thrift store. They use batteries, they sound OK, and they're all in one. Oh yeah, and nobody would want to steal it.

Hook up to it with some headphone-jack-to-RCA cable connected to the auxiliary input, connect it to your portable audio player, and you're done. If you want something fancier, get one of those boom boxes with a dock on it for your iPod or whatever you want.

It's the portable audio player -- iPod or other -- I need help with. An old 12 Volt / 110 Volt boom box with various inputs and outputs (and cassette player!) I have.

:D

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Bob wrote:Never understood the desperate need some people have for canned music plugged into their ears, on or off the playa.

In my case, there's a huge need to avoid the random people in the world intruding into my head. I don't use them on-playa. BART makes them indispensable on my commute. I'd say that it cuts down on my crabbiness, but y'all would just laugh.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Elliot my dear friend 8) try a SansaClip MP3 player. I took an old one to the playa this year to run music through the Pirate Chest boom box Elorrum made for me 8) 8) 8) and it worked great. I replace mine about every 6 months because the clips are weak so maybe I can find an old one around here for you. The other great thing is those SansaClips can recharge from 2 AA's while they continue to play. They are cheap, small, and fairly idiot-proof.

PM me your address if you are interested in a hand-me-down. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby BBadger » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Ah, I see.

One thing I like in my mp3 players, and is a reason I haven't upgraded from my old iRiver H140 from 2003 (though I have new firmware, Rockbox), is the ability to transfer and organize files to it as a generic disk drive, rather than relying on some obnoxious software to install (like iTunes or worse) and/or installing drivers. Some people like that software for playlists and other stuff, but I usually just rely on folders for organization.

But hell, anything that has a screen, like those Sansas or this Coby would probably do (Coby is cheaper for 8GB at $25).
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elliot » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Yeehah! Now we have a couple of votes for a Sansa or similar MP3 player, which seems like the way to go. I might hit up MyDearFriend for a HandMeDown, or tunnel into the local Radio Shack or Walmart some dark night. :D
Yeah, yeah, I have Amazon, eBay and Paypal accounts too. :wink:

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Patsh » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Elliot wrote:Yeehah! Now we have a couple of votes for a Sansa or similar MP3 player, which seems like the way to go. I might hit up MyDearFriend for a HandMeDown, or tunnel into the local Radio Shack or Walmart some dark night. :D
Yeah, yeah, I have Amazon, eBay and Paypal accounts too. :wink:

I brought a little sansa clip (an oldish one, 2GB sanDisk) which is loaded with Shpongle, but I found I hardly even thought of it, and didn't use it. Something about having earplugs while so much else is there to hear...
However, if I'd had something to play it aloud through, I just might have done that, and LOUDLY.

:twisted:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks