completely new with allot of questions

completely new with allot of questions

Postby KurKami » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:55 am

Let me start with introducing myself.

My name is Mark and i live in the Netherlands, 19 years and in my second year of college (making web applications and stuff like that). When i first heard of burning man i immediately wanted to go there.

I've been looking at the site allot and still had some questions.

1. Are there people joining up to travel in groups either international or regional ?
I'm not that experienced with travelling and i screw up fast (like missing trains).

2. Are there people joining up to camp together and Is there a way for me to get my basic needs by helping people?
I'm still 19 years and studying so i'm financially very limited in everything i want to do + the cost of getting there is HUGE

3. Should i even be going at 19/20 years?

and last but not least. When i get to America the price of the ticket basically forces me to make a big trip/tour out of it. The problem here is that i never considered America a travel destination since i never heard something worth going to there (expect burning man off course :D) and no offense but the media doesn't really gives a good impression of America. So i was wondering if anybody here had some experience with making a America trip (with Burning man ofc) and recommends/de-recommends doing it and could give me a impression of the finances needed for that. Also i have no driver license so that might be troublesome

I hope you can all help me :D cause i would LOVE to go to burning man and be a part of it
He who always smiles, no matter what, is most vicious
KurKami

Burning Since: 2017

Re: completely new with allot of questions

Postby BBadger » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:12 am

You probably ought to read the Survival Guide for many of your answers.

1) For people traveling internationally, you'll have to find out yourself. There's no official groups or anything like that, nor tour groups, etc. If you miss your trains and stuff, well, that's more something you'll have to deal with.

2) Depends on the camp, but again, read the survival guide about providing your own means of survival. Burning Man can be expensive, and it can be cheap too. It depends on what you are willing to tolerate. You could rent a car, bring 10-15 gallons of water, food, a tent, shelter, and you're good to go. Some people want more than that. You'll have to decide. Read the survival guide so you don't end up as a dried out corpse.

3) If you want to be able to legally drink alcohol, you should be 21 years or older. People will not serve you alcohol otherwise. It'd probably help with obtaining a foreign driving license and/or insurance or other stuff for transportation/rentals.

4) Well there are people here who wouldn't consider Europe a worthy travel destination either. In many ways it is not, as every town/village looks the same, it is usually cheaper to import things from Europe to the US than buy them while in Europe, and it's just another region of Western civilization. Still, all people should broaden their horizons and you'll never know what you'll learn or experience from being somewhere that isn't home.

As for you, do some research yourself. "What is there to see?" is a very open question. It's hard enough listing what someone should look for at Burning Man, let alone a place as expansive as the US.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby jkisha » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:39 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Spliff » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:03 am

1. This was only my first year, so take what I say as u will. Personally I met people from all over the world including the Netherlands, so I'm absolutely sure u could find some like minded individuals to tag along with. I recommend it actually as I think u have to be at least 21 possibly 25 to rent a car here.

2.this is the most inhospitable desert you have or possibly ever will be in, so I wouldn't leave it to chance that the playa will provide. Water, lotion, chap stick, at least 7 cans of soup or something (1 good meal a day is all u really need), maybe a bowl or two and spoons, lots of grain energy bars, a tent, some shade, something to sit on and sleep in, and at least 1 warm jacket, and some goggles, should get u through it in the barest of fashions. Usually someone in Ur camp will have a stove or something to cook on. I met 2 girls from London 1st day this year and they were coming with about what I just mentioned, but I took them under my wing and helped them get some good food in their stomach because I cooked plenty. On a side note they were 21 & 22 and they had a blast, at your age as long as u keep an open mind and an open heart u should be fine. It's unlike anything u have ever experienced and as long as u come willing to hand yourself and everything u believe in over to the playa, I am a strong believer that u could go out there naked and it will provide for u, but I wouldn't push it, because I'm not stupid. But no camp is going to take care of u completely, this is a test of ones survival skills as much as it is a party.

3. Yeah Americans suck, don't get me wrong I'm born and raised. But their fat, stupid, self entitled arrogant fuck tards for the most part. But if u are here to socialize before BM hit up places that burners would go. Also as far as the sights, uh have u ever heard of this place? We got everything, sunny, rainy, desert, forests, mountains, plains, cliffs. I'm in CA close to San Francisco, it's a ridiculously beautiful and eclectic city. And our weed is better than yours hands down. If u come in on the CA side hit up San Fran, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz mountains, the high sierras, Tahoe, the list literally goes on for days on end. CA will straight up take Ur breath away it's so fucking beautiful.

Hope this informs a bit.
Spliff

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby jerroc » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:18 am

If you dont like America stay the fuck out. Dont judge us by your media and our government.
jerroc

Postby CornMan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:04 pm

I've been in many places in the world, and I don't think the generality that anybody sucks holds true. I find that Americans are basically upfront and casual in their behavior. Like colors of the rainbow though, we are a varied bunch. If you go to our cities' downtowns and midtowns, you're likely to meet a very different sort of person than you'll find in the shopping malls of the suburbs. If you feel uncomfortable with the conservative nature of people in the Bible Belt, you can travel a short distance to New Orleans for a whole different set of folks. When I went to London, everybody I encountered seemed to be stuffy and unapproachable until I went to the pub in Swiss Cottage. There I made many friends - a few I still keep up with on facebook. I'm glad I didn't make a blanket judgement before that. As far as us being fat, what does that have to do with the content of a person's soul? I suggest perhaps coming to San Francisco, explore the city and hang out at some bars and other public places, take a trip up to the Oregon Coast. Continue north to Victoria in Canada and maybe do a kayaking trip in the Broken Group Islands. Then head back to Burning Man. It will all come into perspective.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby CarrieSnarf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:50 pm

1. Are there people joining up to travel in groups either international or regional ?
I'm not that experienced with travelling and i screw up fast (like missing trains).

Traveling is like any skill. You get better with practice. I can't speak to the Netherlands specifically, but there are certainly groups going from all corners of the globe. I think more important than geography is to locate like minded people and travel with them.

2. Are there people joining up to camp together and Is there a way for me to get my basic needs by helping people?
I'm still 19 years and studying so i'm financially very limited in everything i want to do + the cost of getting there is HUGE

Spend some time reading the preparations and first timers pages please. There are larger camps that you can join that will help you with somethings- but you are required to meet a fairly high bar of taking care of yourself. It is one of the guiding principles of this event.

I met a 5 year old on the playa this year, and a 65 year old. I'm not really sure how to answer that question other than to say it's more about the person than their age. Some of your comments regarding traveling etc make me a bit concerned for you, but I think with effort you can achieve this and will be better for it.

and last but not least. When i get to America the price of the ticket basically forces me to make a big trip/tour out of it. The problem here is that i never considered America a travel destination since i never heard something worth going to there (expect burning man off course :D) and no offense but the media doesn't really gives a good impression of America. So i was wondering if anybody here had some experience with making a America trip (with Burning man ofc) and recommends/de-recommends doing it and could give me a impression of the finances needed for that. Also i have no driver license so that might be troublesome

For someone who is so desperate to come to an event set up by Americans and held in America, that's a rather narrow and negative view. American is a big big place. It more than 200 times as large as the Netherlands with almost 20 times as many people. I think travel would help you discover that not everyone in a country fits a stereotype and people, regardless of nationality, are more similar than your current view would lead you to believe.
thesammiewagon.blogspot.com
CarrieSnarf

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:37 pm

I recommend waiting until you turn 62...that's when I made my first trip to Burning Man...made all the difference.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Savannah » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:47 pm

KurKami wrote:Let me start with introducing myself.

My name is Mark and i live in the Netherlands, 19 years and in my second year of college (making web applications and stuff like that). When i first heard of burning man i immediately wanted to go there.

I've been looking at the site allot and still had some questions.

Hi Mark! :D

Netherlands Regional Info here:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_nl.html

All-Europe Regional info here:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu.html

Meet local Burners! It's really helpful towards understanding all that goes into the trip.

Yes, you could join a camp, if they think you will fit with their goals. Theme Camps aren't there to take care of virgins, however--they usually form in order to provide an experience to the rest of the Burn. So when you look around at camps in the 2013 Theme Camps forum (not yet available) or google Netherlands Burning Man camps, etc, make sure you like their goals and theme, and be sure you offer them enthusiasm, skills, labor (and a fee) rather than focus on what they can offer you.

Generally you can pay for--and work for--at least shade and showers. Some camps provide food and water too. The more they offer you, the more they cost.

That will require some soul-searching. Everyone is different. I don't know if I would have been ready for the Burn at 19 or 20. It would have been fun for sure, but kind of overwhelming, and I was not as smart about people then as I am now. I'm not actually sorry that I was older than that when I started going.

I hope you can all help me :D cause i would LOVE to go to burning man and be a part of it

Well . . . we welcome you, but no one is going to be able to convince you to come to America, or correct any misimpressions you have, long distance. 1) It might prove impossible or exhausting, and 2) Burning Man tickets sell out now, so we would most enjoy having people who are really darn sure they want to be here. :)

If you decide to visit, I recommend the West Coast though . . . Oregon, Washington, and California. I like Maui, although it wouldn't be at all on your way, and I also like New York City (I wouldn't live there though). I've also always wanted to see the Grand Canyon, and Savannah, Georgia.

Welcome to the board!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby KurKami » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Hey thanks allot for the replies. Really helped me clear some things up.

Only sad thing is that apparently the thing i said about America made me look condescending witch isn't the case :(. it's not that i dislike it it's just that i have no opinion of it since i have no way of making a well founded one.

jerroc wrote:If you dont like America stay the fuck out. Dont judge us by your media and our government.

just to clarify i understand the media shows us a twisted/short version of everything and that in a country as big as America it's impossible to group everyone together. What i mend to say was that the positive/good things (for me) are a bit hard to find in a place so far away because the media only shows me the things i don't like.
And i'm not asking for a complete tour guide here just a little push in the right direction.
He who always smiles, no matter what, is most vicious
KurKami

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:56 pm

KurKami wrote:Only sad thing is that apparently the thing i said about America made me look condescending witch isn't the case.

at times the board can feel like a mine field. For the record, if I get you for a grammar, syntax or homonym error, it's usually because it starts off some whimsical vision in my braidn, rather than counting points. Unless I don't like you. Then I'll try not to admit you posted at all...

At any rate, you can't please all of us, so do your best and draw your own conclusions.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:02 pm

KurKami wrote:Hey thanks allot for the replies. Really helped me clear some things up.

Only sad thing is that apparently the thing i said about America made me look condescending witch isn't the case :(. it's not that i dislike it it's just that i have no opinion of it since i have no way of making a well founded one.

just to clarify i understand the media shows us a twisted/short version of everything and that in a country as big as America it's impossible to group everyone together. What i mend to say was that the positive/good things (for me) are a bit hard to find in a place so far away because the media only shows me the things i don't like.
And i'm not asking for a complete tour guide here just a little push in the right direction.

As a foreigner, I can tell you that America is a great country with friendly people!
The culture is very expressive. So, if you act like an asshat, you will most probably hear about it (rightfully).
There are beautiful places to see and great things to do!!

If you have no opinion, it's a great thing. If you are adventurous, I would have suggested that you come and experience it first hand.
You sound pessimistic about the idea of travelling away from home. I am not sure what Netherlands media shows, but it's NOT all doom outside Netherlands.
If you are not confident, do proper research about the places you want to visit, travel with a friend, and plan everything before you arrive.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby jerroc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:18 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
KurKami wrote:Only sad thing is that apparently the thing i said about America made me look condescending witch isn't the case.

at times the board can feel like a mine field. For the record, if I get you for a grammar, syntax or homonym error, it's usually because it starts off some whimsical vision in my braidn, rather than counting points. Unless I don't like you. Then I'll try not to admit you posted at all...

At any rate, you can't please all of us, so do your best and draw your own conclusions.

My grammar is terrible, and you never get after me..... Wait a burning minute you mean you dont like me Fishy?
jerroc

Postby jerroc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:37 pm

I offer up my apologies for my over zealous post. I hope you will accept KurKami.
Thank you for clarifying your intended post.

Welcome.

look up
Yellowstone National Park.
Zion National Park.
Yosimite National Park.
Sequoia National Park.
Red Wood National Park.
Valley of fire.
Virgina City, Nv
Las Vegas, Nv
Hover dam. By Las Vegas
San Francisco, Ca

These are major American icons, and all close to where Burning Man is held.
jerroc

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Or hell, don't go to national parks. Yeah, they're nice. Yeah, they're outdoors. But they're tourist attractions and you can see them on postcards too. If you do go, go hiking or camping out there, not just pulling up to the side and looking around.

What I like to do in any foreign place is seek out local eateries, or "hole in the wall" places--hopefully with somebody who can speak the language. That ground-level interaction is the best. Lots of locals and regulars, people relaxed and quietly amused by the foreigners, asking the owner what he suggests, etc. Food is one thing--besides shitting--that we all share near-equal experiences in. I'd love to go around like Andrew Zimmern to foreign places and eating weird local foods. They look real good.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Rice » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:26 pm

jerroc wrote:If you dont like America stay the fuck out. Dont judge us by your media and our government.

Posts like yours give a really awesome first impression...

Why not attempt to give a positive perspective? Showing the best?

Knee-jerk reactions like that certainly cement my first impressions of you. not your country.

{end of scolding-ish, sarcastic-y reply}

I agree on not judging anywhere based strictly on media coverage. North America (not just the USA) is an amazing, beautiful place. There are certainly some assholes, but for the most part -- fun, interesting and intelligent people.

I live in Canada, travel both Canada and the USA as much as I can. Showing interest in anywhere contributes to truly interesting experience and awesome connections...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Candybox » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:26 pm

One of the 10 principles is Radical Self-Reliance. So if you can't afford to take care of your basic needs at BM, then it's better to wait until you can better afford it.

If you want other people to take care of everything for you, then be prepared to pay even more money for that (and get, in my opinion, a poorer experience for it). I'd advise that you be at least old enough to drink legally (21) before you try to come out here, because otherwise you're putting the camps willing to serve you in danger of huge fines.

I'm not endorsing plug and play camping, but the logistics of traveling internationally can be intimidating. You could check out http://www.greentortoise.com/adventures ... tival.html

My friend and fellow Anubis builder camped with them her first year, when she was still living in Germany. It's basic and relatively affordable, and seems less plug-and-play since everyone is still expected to help with cooking and clean-up.
Candybox

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Savannah » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:34 pm

Aye . . . I've only heard good things about Green Tortoise.

I daresay it's hard to lump them in with cossetted, cushy Plug & Play when 1) you don't get a shower and 2) must bring your own tent.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jerroc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:26 pm

There is no way you can fit the experience of a redwood tree on a post card. Absolutely amazing. But if city life is the way to go I think most will agree you can't go wrong with San Francisco.

Stretch80 is right positive is a better approach, but at the same time I spoke how I felt and as an American I stand by it. I have resigned my stand on this matter after some clarity (Thank you by way).
jerroc

Postby CornMan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:35 pm

I've done several Tortoise trips back in the day. It's a great experience.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Candybox » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:I've done several Tortoise trips back in the day. It's a great experience.

That's great to hear! It sounds like a good option for international students then.

And I second the suggestions for National Parks. Every single one I've been to has well lived up to their designation as national treasures, compared with the countless non-national parks that are also pretty good. But the National ones are amazing. It really isn't an experience you can cram into a postcard. My impression of Europe is that it is generally more settled and there are less giant vast wilderness areas. And the ground level cities are more interesting and the food is generally better than most cities in the US.

Anyhow, I'd still recommend that you wait a couple years until you're at least legal to drink before you go to BM. There are so many bars and booze-related events that you'd probably want to drink, and there are plenty that will serve you with no ID. But that just puts those generous camps in danger of getting huge fines, since there are undercovers all over. And that's not fair to them.
Candybox

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Turtleburp » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:40 pm

Dear KurKami,

It appears that the bank you detials you have used to access Eplaya are incomplete.

Please send to me those correct details and a picture of yourself nude for verification purposes.

From the Billing Department of Eplaya
Amateur shirtcocker

Simon's left sock and cat porn photographer

Turtleburp

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Barbie Holiday Village - Soap Supplied!

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:36 pm

I don't think you have to drink to enjoy the event.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Return to Introduce Yourself!