cops taking pics

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

cops taking pics

Postby Lucifine » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:41 am

i was cuddled in the beautiful white metal flower structure on the playa sunday morning talking about narcs, gender and how to not be a douche bag. i happen to look over my shoulder and saw a police officer in his suv taking a picture of us (the lens was pointed in my direction on my side of the structure). I flipped up my face scarf and exclaimed "that's not cool." and the officer immediately lowered the camera and drove away, i'm pretty sure it wasn't for his facebook.. anyone have any input as to why this may have occurred? i do plan to file a law enforcement feedback form and unfortunately wasn't quick enough to grab the number off his car as he drove away. maybe you had a similar experience? what more can we do? what the fuck was the picture for anyway?
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The Droplet

Re: cops taking pics

Postby Elliot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:49 am

Many law enforcement officers enjoy the art at Burning Man as much as the rest of us. So I think we should consider the possibility that he was simply taking a picture of the beautiful white metal flower structure.

But if you might have been recognizable in the picture, he should have asked permission.
However, you say you did not see the camera until you happened to look over your shoulder. So I'm thinking you may not have much to complain about.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar Noon-6 daily in the 4:30 Plaza

------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!------

Thanks for a fabulous 2015! We will definitely do this again.

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby stew » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:54 am

When setting up our art project, we saw a golf cart with BLM people in it stop and take a picture of us/our art. Our assumption was that they photograph the art installation in order to determine if and which artists didn't follow through on leave no trace. As I understand it, the responsibilities of the BLM include preserving the clean state of the playa as we love it.
Don't listen to me - I'm just some random drunk with Internet access.

Postby Ranger Genius » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:24 am

Wow. Paranoid much? Law enforcement personnel should be able to enjoy and appreciate the art, too. It's how we get them. Eventually, many of them become ONE OF US.

Also, if you're not comfortable being photographed, don't climb the fucking art, you goddamned hippie. Unless a person is the subject of my photo, I generally take climbing on the art as implicit permission.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby MisaBlue » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:40 am

You know...BLM are people too...and many of them are nice and just want to enjoy the art...
We please those who say it is impossible not to hinder those who are already doing it.

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:42 am

He probably took the picture for the same reason we all do: he probably thought that you and the art looked beautiful--and if that was all he wanted, I rather hope he got the shot. But no one can say for sure. Law enforcement is composed of human beings just as susceptible to the beauty of art as anyone else, but they should be held to the same photo etiquette as everyone else. If it was close enough for you to be identifiable in the pose you originally inhabited, he probably could've asked first, or made the "may I snapshot you?" gesture. That's just good etiquette. If your face was not obviously recognizable, well . . . he was acting like anyone else would.

Law enforcement should ideally enjoy their Burn shifts, and the beauty of the Burn. People who want to be there will do a better job. I would kinda hate it if cops weren't allowed to take pictures. If in uniform, maybe they should avoid close-up shots of people, where their uniform might compel folks to agree to things they normally wouldn't. There is the possibility of imbalance of power when someone in uniform asks you for something (or takes something).

I hope you file your feedback with law enforcement as planned. Include his distance away in the facts, and be as even-keeled as you can in order to have your input taken seriously.
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:46 am

moved to "experiences"
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby David M » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:59 am

Lucifine wrote:i was cuddled in the beautiful white metal flower structure on the playa sunday morning talking about narcs, gender and how to not be a douche bag.

i want to know how not to be a douche bag. enlighten me.
David M
Burning Since: 2009

Postby pink » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Every BLM ranger said they love being at BM. They actually run a lottery to pick who is able to police the event. Every interaction I had with the BLM was positive. But then, I don't drink or use drugs, and drive the speed limit so I'm pretty open and friendly to them.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:24 pm

pink wrote: But then, I don't drink or use drugs, and drive the speed limit

Unfair advantages! :)

BTW, nice talking to you at the M&G!
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby jerroc » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:56 pm

You should thank the "NARC" for the job they do in keeping the event possible and safe... But if I had drugs on me I would be worried about the NARC taking a picture of me.

Postby dj_john69 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Yeah, while everyone on here thinks that the BLM rangers were not up to something while taking pics, i think differently for sure. I witnessed a few different rangers using a faceless type camera and scanning back and forth at crowds at OT and Osiris. When i walked towards them, they hid the "camera" in their pocket. The "camera" did have a display on the back but as i said NO lens on the front. Was it a new tech to capture images or something else like a facial recognize device ?? I dont know but they hid it fast as fuck. We all know that the BLM rangers use top notch surveillance equipment while on the Playa including infrared/night vision stuff, remote camcorders that send an image to another ranger with a mobile printer, laser stuff for perimeter protection.

My conclusion, the rangers might have just been taking pics for friends and family BUT i think it was taken for other reasons. I personally would have walked up and asked them to delete any pics of you but thats how i roll.
Fuck you, fuck're cool, fuck you !!
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Postby Nipple » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:02 pm

Ranger Genius wrote:Wow. Paranoid much? Law enforcement personnel should be able to enjoy and appreciate the art, too. It's how we get them. Eventually, many of them become ONE OF US.

I had a conversation with two rangers sitting in their truck out in deep playa. One said he was three years from retirement and will be back the very next year. The other responded wistfully that he was a lot longer away and wouldn't come out until he was retired, since even off duty he'd be on BLM land and would feel compelled to behave as though he were at work (even drinking).

All the BLM folks really seem to want to be there. They enjoy it.
Burning Since: 2017

Return to Experiences at Burning Man