Long Hair Poll

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

While at Burning Man, my long hair is;

Braided (corn rows, mini braids, braids with beads, etc)
29%
Dreaded (Do you get it done before BM or is this year round for some?)
4%
Free-Falling (wash rarely)
48%
Different Styles each Day (wash often)
18%

Total votes : 89

Postby baconqurlyq » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

I like to keep my hair short normally, but it is super super thick. I'm going to get it thinned out by my miracle worker hair stylist before I leave and keep it covered mostly by bandannas.

Anyone have any experience with dry shampoo? I was thinking of using that between washing to keep the mop from getting too grody.
baconqurlyq

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:47 pm

My thick, curly mop? Like Diane's, my hair's natural state seems to be "split", tho TG not that curly!! I came up with this one in... 06 or 07. Works for me.

2 weeks before I start hitting it with hot olive oil. Not hot enough to sizzle the scalp, but not lukewarm, either. Every other day until launch. I've tried other things, but that seems to work best.

Week before, I'll hit it with conditioner on the non-olive oil days, and comb it out. (Thank you, Robbidobbs... I saw you do that once, and became a convict, er, convert!)

Day before launch - Condition. Combed out but not rinsed out totaly. Same launch morning.

During the event - I will wash my hair about every 3 days. A little Conditioner combed IN and OUT (again, leaving some behind) Saves water, gets it into my hair, keeps it from dustballing out. NO OIL - it won't evap, leaves an icky nasty mess in the evap unit.

Other stuph - I usually wear some sort of hat, but the biggie for me is not leaving playa dust in the hair more than 3 days - THAT wreaks havoc.

I'll play with it now that I have a place to wash my hair on playa (that isn't a drizzle bottle) but it works well enough not to worry about it too much!

Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby kman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:07 pm

My wife always swore by the braids. I don't recall what she does during the week to maintain it (not much, I think), and she spends much of the long ride home taking them out, but the braids have always worked out REALLY well for her. She has very thick hair that would be a nightmare in no time without a good way to manage it.

kman

Postby bs bob » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:56 am

water trucks!!my first year i suffered with a spray bottle and brush but the water trucks blast the playa dust right outta your scalp-wakes ya up too-i conditioned my hair and everything!!!
bs bob

Postby bs bob » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:57 am

water trucks!!my first year i suffered with a spray bottle and brush but the water trucks blast the playa dust right outta your scalp-wakes ya up too-i conditioned my hair and everything!!!
bs bob

Postby thedarbydoll » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:44 pm

my first year we had a camp shower..so i washed my hair with dr. bronners or rinsed it everyday..i have waist length fine blonde hair and a lot of it. i used a leave in conditioner and let it air dry...usually kept it pulled back in braids or a bun in a hair tie. it was super dry and took a couple weeks to restore it after we got home. no camp shower this year so i'm debating on what to do. it really helps at least being able to rinse it and add conditioner so it doesn't knot up too badly.
thedarbydoll

Curly Hair at Burning Man

Postby xXxSerenityxXx » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:35 pm

So..I have long, very curly hair and have no idea what to do with it at Burning Man. Any suggestions?
xXx Serenity xXx

“It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.”
xXxSerenityxXx

Postby TomServo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:41 pm

Curley hairs not allowed at Burning Man!

But, if you can sneak in, wash it daily!.....with any hair...and use conditioner
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

playa hair

Postby drucake » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:36 pm

i was just wondering what all you girls do to keep your hair from becoming a complete wreck? trust me, im not afraid of getting dirty but my hair is very brittle and thin. last year a bunch of it fell out after i got home cause it was so damaged. just wondering if anyone has tips. i did see some girls with it completely wrapped up and i thought that looked really cute. :)
drucake

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Bumping because we don't need more new hair threads. :wink:
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby sputnik » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Here's what you do. Take a long sleeve cotton shirt, cut off a sleeve to a about the length of your hair. Have someone else stick their arm in and then grab your hair and pull it through the sleeve. It should look something like this:

It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Dang, that hair-yanker is having some sort of desert epiphany...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lightgraywolf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:47 am

Last year was my first on the Playa, taking a mop of waist-length hair was one of my first concerns in my planning. It's taken so many years to grow, I didn't want it to get destroyed in just one week at Burning Man!

I kept it braided all the time, except when I washed it... which was about every other day. When I would venture out of camp for extended periods of time during the day, I wore a turban made of about 10' of light gauzy fabric. The turban tripled as a hair protectant, portable shade, and as a dust mask when the storms kicked up. Worked great and I found breakage was minimal.

Stay away from gels and most hair care products. The more "sticky" your hair is, the more playa dust it will accumulate. I used a combination of Bronner's and a light leave-in conditioner.
lightgraywolf

Please Help! Virgin Burner Hair Care ????

Postby julesonthefly » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:05 am

Sooo I have pretty long, super thin, straight hair. My hair gets super knarley even at over night events..Im thinking braids? with some fabric or yarn in it?? A couple questions though...what are some ways to relieve the itchiness? Should I still put conditioner on the roots? Anyone know of any local San Diego peeps tight on cash who can braid?? I really appreciate anyones input and can NOT wait to be out on the playa with you beautiful people!! owowwowowowow
<3
julesonthefly

Postby gaminwench » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:02 am

braids are great ...tea tree oil in a spritz bottle is great for keeping your scalp happy...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby jofezasa » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:45 am

Regarding braids in long hair, in the desert, for a week: be mindful that the hair can still break (particularly at the top of your head) so wearing a bandana or kerchief (or head scarf for that matter) is helpful. The first year I went, I did tiny braids for the week that were super easy to care for and when I took them out, I seemed to lose half of the volume of my hair (shoulder-blade length) to breaking.

Nowadays, I generally do two side braids, wash my hair two or three times over the course of the 10 days, then have someone rebraid it for me, and it seems to do fine. Some people recommend leave-in conditioner though I found this to be a playa-magnet.
Knowledge is Power
Power is the Ultimate Aphrodisiac
Therefore Knowledge is the Ultimate Aphrodisiac
jofezasa

Re: Curly Hair at Burning Man

Postby Magpie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:24 am

xXxSerenityxXx wrote:So..I have long, very curly hair and have no idea what to do with it at Burning Man. Any suggestions?

Isn't this a 3 page thread answering that exact question? Read it, woman!!!
Magpie

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Mod note: This is that thread, I merged them.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Long hair

Postby ladywednesday » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Last year I kept my hair up in buns and covered them with hair falls. This year, since my hair was past my butt, I cut off 13 inches and donated to wigs for kids.... but I will still probably cover with hair falls and wash every other day. :)
ladywednesday

Camp Name: Revofuckinlution

Postby Edana » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Based on Janet Planet's suggestion, I got myself a Buff today. Fabulous! Exactly what I was looking for, and will double as a mask for dust storms when needed. I've always had problems keeping things on my head when I try and cover it. Bandanas etc just slide right off. The Buff stays put, covers my hair, and is cool to boot!

My dear husband did say I looked a little like the mom in Fiddler on the Roof with one of the styles you can do with it, so I'll need to do something to jazz it up somewhat!
Edana

Postby foofurr » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:42 am

I have longish (about 3" below shoulders) straight fine hair. I also have a super sensitive scalp, my hairdresser has gotten to the point where she hands me the brush because she doesn't want to make me cry. I have to keep my hair up at the burn every year because the dust, wind, and dry environment turn it into a rat's nest of brittle straw.

I part my hair and just put in two reasonable neat and tight braids before I leave the house. And use a bandana/scarf/headband/whatever to keep the top in order and protected. I redo the braids every morning with careful combing (wide tooth only) on playa. Having two braids makes it easy when I want to put it up in buns and put in falls.

I have never washed my hair on playa and don't intend to, I know it would be a nightmare for me and my particularly sensitive scalp. I do deep condition it before I leave.

The biggest thing that has helped me out was something I actually use to detangle my horses' manes and tails. Pink Lotion. It's available in the African American section of most grocery stores, target, even costco. Would probably work on playa too but I use it when I get home to help rehydrate and detangle. It's not really a leave in condition so much as lotion for your hair.

Hint: They have a light formula which I recommend for most people as the original formula will take about a week to wash out of your hair unless it's normally super dry (in normal conditions).
foofurr

Re: Long Hair Poll

Postby Myliatronic » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:45 pm

Well, after trying yarn braids this year, I can say that I would not recommend them to anyone, ever.

They were cumbersome and itchy on-playa, but I kept telling myself my hair would be protected and in the longrun it would be worth it. Two years ago I left my long hair down all week and ended up with nappy dready grossness that took 6 hours to sort out. I thought it couldn't get any worse than that. I was wrong.

I am now about 10 hours into the process of removing the braids. It took me 8 hours to get the yarn out, working carefully but still falling victim to a ton of snapping hair as the yarn had felted itself around small clusters of hair, making them impossible to remove without tearing. When I finished, I had a frazzled head of hair with a ton of broken ends and the most disgusting dreadlock clumps where the base of every single braid was. That's 30 hopelessly tangled birds nests within an inch of my scalp. :shock: I showered, gently shampooed, and soaked my hair in half a bottle of conditioner for 20 minutes hoping to lube everything up and streamline the process of combing, but I don't think it helped much. I am maybe 5% done combing and I have lost an incredible amount of hair, mostly from breakage right at the scalp. I am hoping this won't end with a headshave as I have been working to grow my locks out for a long time now, but at this rate I may have to bite the bullet and start over.

Next year, if I still have hair, I will be going back to my standard of pigtail braids. I hope this helps someone out there.

Much love,
Mylia
Myliatronic

Re:

Postby RedHeaven » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I shave my head completely bald and that isn't even an option in this stupid poll. If you don't believe me, look at the 2009 Black Rock Year Book (just out on the internet) and on Page 6 you'll see me and Sunset. I'm the one with the shaved head.

Some of us women like to be attractive!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby ambird » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:11 am

I have long, straight, thick hair. During the day on the playa I wear it in two tight buns on top of my head, then tie a scarf or bandana on as a headband. Each night (or morning!) before going to sleep I take it down from the buns, finger-comb it a little, and put it up in one high, loose bun. This routine seemed to protect my hair fairly well, and the bonus was that I didn't have to think much about my hair because it was always out of the way.

Last year I washed my hair once, this year I didn't wash it all week. Gross, I know, but it totally worked for me and I got no complaints from my friends or neighbors! Even though I'm generally an oily person and could never go without daily hair washing in defaultia, the alkaline dust seems to dry me out. When I got home and took a shower, I did lose a lot of hair. However, I think this was mostly due to the fact that we all generally lose some hair each day, and keeping my hair tied up at all times prevented that from happening throughout the week.
ambird

Burning Since: 2011

Postby illy dilly » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:27 am

I filled in a poll answer for my GF, since shes not on eplaya.

She typically puts her hair into 2 pony tails. In camp we use cooler water to wash each other's hair every 4 days or so. Depending on time on playa that could mean once or twice a burn.
She also uses a de-tangler spray to help comb it out before putting it back into braids.

She's done the shit load of little braids thing, but has commented that its easier to brush out, wash, brush, and re-braid if its just two large braids rather than a bunch of little braids.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby maladroit » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:15 am

A friend with long hair kept hers in a big, sort of loose, single braid. She didn't have problems taking it apart at home, and it had the other advantage of being sexy as hell...
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby pink » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:22 am

I'm starting a new camp rule about hair-brushing on playa because I picked up so many hair clumps while mooping! We do all lose a bit of hair each day, but if it's in playa dreads or braids that don't get taken out until defaultia, it doesn't hit the ground, or is a lot less likely to. I never saw so much hair moop as this year, and it was the first year we had long-haired hair washers in camp and tent campers to boot. In an RV or trailer, brushing is easier to control as long as you then secure your hair back into braids or another form of containment.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:33 am

Maybe you need a chicken wire trash fence around your camp.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Magpie Sparkles » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:48 am

I have mid length hair (down to my shoulders) and i don't wash it at all at BM - just shake it out and pin it up in madder and more outlandish up-dos throughout the week, I love it!
Magpie Sparkles

Postby Ratty » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:05 am

I have dyed, dried and fried shoulder length hair. I pull a stuffed animal over my head and only remove it to sleep or change animals. Extra conditioning when I get home brings it back to it's usual straw texture.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear