Goggles - What do YOU use?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Goggles - What do YOU use?

Postby peyote2004 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:32 am

I'm still working on my list of things needed for BM 2013.

I'm not looking for a specific recommendation. As we all know everyone's preferences are different, and a pair of goggles that one person likes, another person may hate. What I would like to know is ... What type of goggles do you use :?: What specifically do you like / dislike about them :?:
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Re: Goggles - What do YOU use?

Postby Sail Man » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:40 am

I myself have a variety of goggles I wear out on the playa. You just tend to accumulate different styles for different outfits. I have ski goggles, military goggles, gas masks, steampunk goggles.......it can become an obsession lol

some people use motorcycle goggles, sky diving goggles etc

Here's one link I have for some interesting goggles Vampire Freaks
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:00 am

During the day, if the dust isn't flying, I wear my prescription sunglasses.

At night and for dust storms, I have prescription sports goggles (meant for racquet sports). Unfortunately, they don't really seal, so when there's a big dust storm, one needs to supplement with a scarf/veil. They're also not tinted, and dust storms during the day can be pretty glare-y. Also, they're kinda ugly. Still, they did what they needed to do on the playa this year, even on Dustpocalypse Friday.

They're the blue version of these (I made a sparkly-gold coverslip for the elastic, to hide the ugly branding):
(I wish now that I had bought red or silver. Blue was chosen before I knew I'd wear them for BM).

I've seen military goggles that fit over eyeglasses. I may buy a pair of those for next time, if I can find them reasonably priced. I haven't seen any that I liked the look of on me yet, though.

I love love LOVE the Russian WWII goggles my partner wore -- leather eye mask with protruding, round, dark lenses -- kind of Steampunk Red Baron.

Very similar to these:

If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby peyote2004 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:00 pm

Those military ones look cool, but I would think that they would feel very hot on the face if worn during the day.

Luckily my glasses are a very mild prescription, and I only need them if I'm reading for a long time; so I don't have to worry about goggles fitting over them.

I have no experience buying any type of goggles, and I have no idea what is good for when I start looking to buy some. It's nice to see what people have used, and their experiences with them. :)
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:03 pm

Yeah, he only wore them during dust storms. He didn't complain about them being hot or uncomfortable, and this is a guy with some serious princess tendencies when it comes to comfort. But I agree that so much face coverage does look like it would be warmish -- probably not ideal if you're going to wear your goggles a lot.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby maladroit » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Get goggles with a good seal if you can, but any goggles are better than no goggles. Learned that lesson the hard way, once...
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:09 pm

I have never really felt goggles were worth the bother...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:17 pm

I have adored these for years:
http://www.cglasses.com/styles/allstarkit.htm
[img]
http://www.cglasses.com/Images/pics/AllStarSM.jpg[/img]

They fit over glasses, and have day and night lenses. THey are super comfortable.

HOWEVER, I used to wear contacts all the time at BMan so these would protect my eyes from wind, too.

BUT....This year, I got new glasses and some amber Fitovers, which are dorky big sunglasses that fit over prescription glasses.
I ended up only using my goggles in the big storms on tues and fri night, and not the whole time
Seems as though the Fitovers did me right the rest of the time!!
Without contacts, AHHHHH so nice. I barely needed the goggles.
Kinda bummed as I really wanted to break in my new pair of All Stars. I had these goggles for 5 eyars and the strap finally got too loose and I had to give em away to a fatter head ;)
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:18 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I have never really felt goggles were worth the bother...

Wow. I've only been twice and even in 2011 I was very glad I had goggles. Surely in your numerous years, you've been out during a whiteout? I have used old ski goggles both burns and sometimes the dust is blowing so hard (eg. Friday, 2012) that I have to press them against my face to keep the dust out of my eyes. Guess you're a tougher man than I :).

I bought a pair of these prior to the burn this year on a whim because I thought I'd prefer to have clear lenses during night dust storms. http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S3970D-Dura-streme-Hardcoat-Anti-Fog/dp/B003U9VE4Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1347649918&sr=8-6&keywords=safety+goggles
I added foam to cover the air ducts. They ended up being very sweaty and the foam didnt stay well, so I don't recommend.

This year I used bulky sunglasses during the day for a bit of protection, and my ski goggles during really dusty events. Next year I will be buying a pair of those low profile type goggles so that I dont have to carry my somewhat bulky goggles (something like this http://www.amazon.com/ELIMINATOR-GOGGLES-MOTORCYCLE-EYEWEAR-Specially/dp/B0028QVNGO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347650086&sr=8-1&keywords=dust+goggles). My tinted ski goggles were quite dark at night, especially when combined with blowing dust, so I'll be sure to get clear lenses and tinted ones, depending on the time of day.

I would recommend considering what type of dust mask you might wear and whether that will be compatible with whatever goggle choice you make. I bought a slightly bulky dust mask this year (in preparation for the Dustocalypse), but my big ski goggles and the big mask didnt fit very easily on my face at the same time. On the subject of masks (not that you asked), I think I'm going to leave my mask at home next year and stick with the shemagh that I got from my friend. They're so much more versitle (though maybe slightly less effective). But that's another thread :).
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:46 pm

I don't like dust masks either.
I was in the famous 2002 "Condition Alpha"... I do wear glasses, so I think that keeps my eyes somewhat protected. I did bring a shemagh this year, but it was moopy and I didn't put on another one. I did use a loaner pair of goggles and a kerchief on Friday. Pretty much forced to by my campmates. I actually brought a pair of goggles, but the lenses were not firmly attached.
I don't really know what to say. I just don't feel so bad from dust in my eyes or my lungs that I feel that googles/masks are preferable option...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:50 pm

If I didn't wear contacts I'd probably use goggles less, but last year after the smoke and dust of the Trojan Horse burn my contacts were really dirty and it kind of blurry by the end of the night. Changing contacts is a pain in the ass too.

This year I was wearing the goggles a lot because of last year's experiences, but I really would rather not. They were fogging up all the time, they'd have to be cleaned and wiped, and just a pain to have to carry around. Fog was worse than any dust on them.

I'll see what happens next year. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get some eye surgery for my terrible uncorrected vision.

For my keffiyeh, I ended up using it more to keep my ears warm than wrap up for the sun or dust or heat. I don't really like looking like the invisible man with that thing on either.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:28 pm

But but but whats wrong with a cool lookin' pair of glasses? I think they are sexy.
I know I know I would rather not wear them myself, but MAAAAAN it was SUCH a relief
I just had to carry around a cleaning towel in a ziploc, they are so much easier to clean than goggles. The fitover shades, too.

I might of not been the coolest looking cat on the block but hot damn I was comfortable and happy!!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:31 pm

I wear the GI issue Sun/Wind/Dust goggles. Big view, decent seal, comfortable on the face. The pair I bought came with a dark green lense for day, and a clear lense for night. I travel with a small wooden ruler that I use as a lever to pop the "button" on the goggles that allows the swap of the lenses.

I usually leave the clear lense in though, nowadays, because if it's a small or short duststorm 1) sometimes my sunglasses are enough, and 2) even with the sun out, the clear lense is sometimes workable (because of the slight shielding effect of the top ridge of the goggles). But one might as well have both lenses because the spare barely takes up any space.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Rice » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:21 pm

When I have to wear goggles, I use some BMX goggles that I picked up several years ago.
goggles.jpg

I thought about putting them on this burn, but frankly could not be bothered.

Yes, I have had them faithfully at my side for the past four burns, but only used them two or three times. The dust would need to be extreme for me to consider them (ie: unable to see my elbow for the dust).

Never really needed a dust mask this year either. I did pull my scarf over my mouth once when I was driving a Mule without a windshield through the exodus dust on Monday though. I figured that I need it, since I was unable to see the ground at that moment. Once I had driven past the greeters station, I pulled the scarf away from my mouth.

So far, no playa lung symptoms. Not bad for three weeks on-playa. My eyes only bothered me twice (both times, a little water clear that issue up).

Your experience probably was different than mine :)

Rice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby danibel » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:56 pm

I have a pair of Birdz Falcon googles. I loved them, until this year when the foam liner started coming off. It doesn't look repairable either. :-/ my sweetie buys up ski googles all year at the thrift store and then lugs, I mean brings it out to the playa to give to anyone that needs a pair. This was the first year I went through the box and grabbed some spares in case my Falcons took a dookie. I will be replacing them before 2013. Look up dust or sand googles. One of my friends uses sand googles when he motorcycles in the sand dunes in southern california.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Ratty » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:17 pm

This year I found a pair of ski goggles that fit nicely over my glasses. The foam was coming out by the end of the week. I'm gonna look for replacement foam at the local ski shop. They were perfect for me.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Noboundaries » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:47 am

I have several pair of old motorcycle goggles but discomfort, field of view, or fogging was always an issue. Below is a link to what we used instead. They fit over my rather smallish eyeglasses and had an incredible field of view, like you weren't wearing anything at all. Is the seal perfect? No, but they made a huge difference in the dust and my wife really needed them wearing her contacts. They also did not fog. They don't come with a case but we just put them in old (clean) athletic socks for protection, labeling one "dark" so we knew what we were pulling out of the backpack.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DPG82-11C- ... r-mr-title

http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-DPG82-21C- ... r-mr-title
You are always smaller than anything that upsets you. Remain calm and solutions with boundless possibility will find your heart.
Noboundaries

Postby BBadger » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Noboundaries wrote:I have several pair of old motorcycle goggles but discomfort, field of view, or fogging was always an issue. Below is a link to what we used instead. They fit over my rather smallish eyeglasses and had an incredible field of view, like you weren't wearing anything at all. Is the seal perfect? No, but they made a huge difference in the dust and my wife really needed them wearing her contacts. They also did not fog. They don't come with a case but we just put them in old (clean) athletic socks for protection, labeling one "dark" so we knew what we were pulling out of the backpack.

Huh... those cost a lot less than the polychromatic motorcycle goggles I got from Amazon, and I just HATED the fogging on those. I guess the ones I got were meant to be used for riding where they wouldn't fog up (worked fine while bicycling), but it was just obnoxious dealing with them while walking or riding slow.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby CornMan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:44 pm

I wear what I find at the Goodwill clearance center. At $1.39 per pound, the average price for a pair of goggles is 29 cents.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby maladroit » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:19 pm

I also had some vented safety goggles. Not the kind with lots of holes punched in them for vents...the kind with four holes and some vented plastic plugs. I pried out the plugs and put some medical tape over the holes. I only tried them a couple times, but it was acceptable.
maladroit

Postby MikeGyver » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Like Savannah I use Military surplus SWD goggles, may not be pretty but they work. This year I was lazy and bought a second pair so I had one with the clear lenses and one with the tinted lenses and didnt have to switch them out, till a friend broke hers so I gave her my second pair that is. They work, they're cheap, you have the option of tinted lenses, they just aren't pretty if form matters more than function to you.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby CarrieSnarf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:28 pm

I prefer motorcycle sunglasses to goggles. I think they are more comfortable, fog less and do an adequate job keeping the dust out of my eyes. I had these this year: http://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Kickback-Padded-Motorcycle-Sunglasses/dp/B003FBV8ZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347758795&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+sunglasses and they worked well, including for the Friday night dust storm.
thesammiewagon.blogspot.com
CarrieSnarf

Postby Sail Man » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:32 am

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Runs; With Scissors » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:05 pm

These are big, comfy and cheap. They worked well for me.

http://www.maximumeyewear.com/productfo ... ggles.html

I got some fimo clay, molded it, glued it on and made them purty.
Runs; With Scissors

Camp Name: love potion

Postby Ratty » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:12 pm

I got these little lovlies today at a yard sale. They are kids swim goggles but they fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Savannah » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:14 pm

Mrpatatomoto wrote:Like Savannah I use Military surplus SWD goggles, may not be pretty but they work. This year I was lazy and bought a second pair so I had one with the clear lenses and one with the tinted lenses and didnt have to switch them out, till a friend broke hers so I gave her my second pair that is. They work, they're cheap, you have the option of tinted lenses, they just aren't pretty if form matters more than function to you.

The funny thing about this . . . is that I think the military goggles look the best on me out of any pair I've ever worn. :lol:

I did color the frames with some "Rub & Buff" craft paint . . .
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby EmilyD » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:19 pm

I use these:

Husband (larger noggin) uses these:

Both have multiple lenses.
EmilyD

Postby fresh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Brought 4 different types of eye wear. i find it necessary since my contacts always start bothering me even with minimal amount of dust, much less a white out. The one pair of ski goggles I reinforced the thin layers of foam by using cut up t-shirt and hot gluing to the inside. Worked great, until the goggles disappeared from my camp!
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot
fresh

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:11 pm

Something tells me that even after all these redundant threads by the OP (WHAT DO I NEED IN MY FIRST AID KIT? WHAT DO I NEED IN MY TOOL KIT? WHAT KINDA GOGGLES? BACKPACK? SHOES? HAS ANYONE EVER WORN SHORTS ON THE PLAYA ?).. that it will all be forgotten by next June.. and we can all hope at least that the search function will be discovered by then.

:idea:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby maladroit » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:13 pm

True. There might be even more new people next year, since Dustpocalypse never really happened...that won't work twice, especially with all the front and center media attention Burning Man stuff has been getting the past few weeks.
maladroit

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear