Fuck!

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Fuck!

Postby peyote2004 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:24 pm

The place where I work was in fucking lockdown this afternoon. :shock:

From what I was told, yesterday a disgruntled client of another department in our complex threatened to come in with a gun and shoot people. Police pulled him over for impaired during the night and impounded his car. They did not know there was a BOLO for him, so he was released. They later searched his car and found a gun. So... We're on lockdown until he is found.
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:26 pm

FUCK! Stay safe, please. :shock:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby maryanimal » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Fuck and Yikes!! I hope they find him soon! what kind of security do they have at your job besides lockdown? I think there are lots of folks who shouldn't be allowed to have a gun, people with DUI's (Drunk drivers with guns are dangerous. .ie: drunk party-goers that go back for some kind of stupid revenge, etc), people who constantly to threaten suicide or hurt themselves, or get pissed at something and fire a round or two in their home, just to name a few. I've known a few people who shouldn't have guns. I know someone today that shouldn't have guns. Scarry people.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby peyote2004 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:09 pm

I work for a Canadian federal department called the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC). We regulate radio and TV broadcasting companies and telephone companies. We don't have a lot of security in the complex where I work. In my tower, our access cards get us on any floor, and all someone has to do is bang on the door and people will let them in. For the most part our security (Commissionaires) are veterans(60+ years old). The other towers have Comissionaires too, but theirs seem to be younger and they're very strict about use of access cards in the other towers.

We are located in a small complex with 2 large departments (Canadian Heritage and Aboriginal Affairs Canada) and a Holiday Inn. All 6 towers are connected by breezeways and share a basement. Because of the shared access points, what effects one department effects us all. While we were in lockdown today, we had to scan our IDs to the in and out of the building normally, we don't need to do that. There were over a dozen police officers at the department that was threatened and a couple of floaters going back and forth between the towers. In addition to the police, our department had the floor emergency people (volunteers) aiding the Comissionaires at the tower entry points.

I hope they locate this fucking nut job by Monday. It's a little disconcerting to have all this happening where I work, but it's not the first time, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

I've worked in this complex for 14 years. In that time, the department I've worked for has been protested a view times (peaceful protests). Canadian Heritage hasn't had anything happen, that I can remember. Unfortunately Aboriginal Affairs gets targeted fairly often for a Canadian Government Department... There have been several protests (one lasting almost a month - in front of our building, not theirs). This is the 2nd or 3rd threat of shooting, and there have been at least 2 bomb threats that I can remember.

I'm glad I don't live in a place where a lot of people carry guns. Because if they did, this shit would happen a lot more often.
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Lost my fucking wallet...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby unjonharley » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:53 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Lost my fucking wallet...

That come under "oh shit" also and fuck
unjonharley

Postby Jax Dee » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:27 pm

lucky420 wrote:fuck! one of my dogs died while we were at the burn.

R.I.P. Poccy aka Chairnobyl
y6

((Lucky)) They were all such sweeties and I'm so glad I got to meet her before she went. I'm so sorry you had to come home to that.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing
Jax Dee

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:56 pm

thank you everyone,

we know that she's at rest, it was a real struggle for her the last 6 fuckin months...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Savannah » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:09 pm

((((Lucky420))))

Savannah

Postby AntiM » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Fuckin hugs. Just catching up.

Fuck, my niece had the gall to call and leave a message asking for me to pay her the balance on the housesitting. The fucking shitty housesitting which I'm still cleaning up after, still steaming about. She's fucking lucky I was not home to answer the phone. I wrote a note and sent it over with MyLarry, along with her crap and her friend's crap which was still strewn around the house. I think I have one blood relative left who will talk to me now. Fuck.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby maryanimal » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Fuck AntiM! That sucks. You ask someone for a small favor and they screw you. I guess you have to fuckin chalk it up to experience, and if she doesn't talk to you, it's her loss not yours. I'm glad you and MyLarry made it home ok! I'd still clean my house if someone was watching it anyway. I have a specific way I like things to be cleaned.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby MisaBlue » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:04 am

FUCK FUCK FUCK

Postby littleflower » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:42 am

((((( misa )))))
littleflower

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:20 am

what the fuck, Misa?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Rice » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:05 am

My former employer notified me that my job was being outsourced two days before I left for Burning Man. Yes, I was upset, {grumble} (ok, I was pissed! BM was going to happen if I stayed here or went, this burn had already been paid for and arranged. So, I decided, fuck it. I will burn, and it will be awesome. )

Three weeks later, (yes, my burn was awesome), I see that they did me a favour. Time to do something more interesting and challenging. Perhaps take the risks that I could not take when my kids were small.

We have little control over the world, friends, family, job, health. However, our attitude, is completely within our control.

Today I feel like I am at the edge of town, trying to pick which direction I should drive for the summer. {giggle}
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby MacGlenver » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:13 am

stretch80 wrote:Three weeks later, (yes, my burn was awesome), I see that they did me a favour. Time to do something more interesting and challenging. Perhaps take the risks that I could not take when my kids were small.

Today I feel like I am at the edge of town, trying to pick which direction I should drive for the summer. {giggle}

Congrats, man. I'm still trying how to figure out how to take acceptable risks with my career, and I dont have any responsibilities to speak of. GL!
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Box Burner » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Howdy all!

Good fucking news and bad fucking news.

well... got a fucking RV thanks to all of you, and some others. :D

... it is a 1986 Chevy Astro Allegro. Has only 73000 miles on it and is in good shape. Runs good and rides good. The refrigerator needs some work, it looks like someone tried to fix it but left it undone. Everything else works as far as we can tell. Haven't tried the furnace yet (and will have to clean out the fucking wasp nests in the furnace intakes befere we do) but we were told that it works. We took out the two passenger seats as they only face forward and so just take up space most of the time. gonna put in a table (we have a card table in there now) some more storage space and a cat tree for Luna. Oh, and real curtains in the windows. Luna is kind of hard on the mini-blinds. :lol:

That's the good news. And it is damn good.

The bad news is that it blew a fucking seal in the axle and oil is leaking out onto the right rear brakes. Have it in the shop right now. The estimate is $600. :shock: That'll wipe out my pay for the month. Least I got a good supply of ramen and peanut butter. :lol:
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby searchmedavid » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 pm

This'll make you say "fuck." A long story about kids who work at music festivals all summer. Pretty surprising. http://www.spin.com/articles/festival-n ... olden-road
searchmedavid

Postby wh..sh » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 pm

Great news BB!! You abode looks great.
But FUCK when life kicks us in the ass when we are trying to get up.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 pm

Some happy or cautiously optimistic things are infiltrating this thread! (OH NOES. :D ) (We also have Happy threads, but I don't know if it matters, srsly).

I'm so glad you Burned anyway, Stretch80! And that you have come back to a Good Place, emotionally. What a relief.

BoxBurner, I'm so happy for you re: the RV! And with repairs being what they are, I'm glad you have ramen and peanut butter . . . and some curtains for Luna. :lol:

Savannah

Postby maryanimal » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:09 pm

Fucking good news BB! Maybe the mechanic will cut you a break on the cost. Tell him your financial straites. He may understand and help you out! *hugs*
maryanimal

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Fucking good news, BB. Holler if you want a case of ramen, I can hit our food storage in the basement. And I have curtains and fabric galore....
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Oooh, oooh! I also have fabric! BB, I can help make curtains! I've got a good-sized piece of reddish/orangey/rusty-coloured fine corduroy (fine as in the wales are very narrow, so it's a bit like velvet in texture, only not so soft). I've also got some white eyelet, some other white stuff, some red, some silvery-grey... and some bigger pieces that are a little sillier -- white with black ants, or blue with yellow stars (for BM pants that never got mate). If you're interested, PM me with dimensions and fabric preference... But anyways, congrats on the RV, and I hope the fixes end up cheaper than anticipated.

stretch80: Sorry about the job, but congrats on the attitude! Here's hoping you find an awesome new job to replace the one that was lost.

(((misa)))
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:36 pm

FUCK.

It's looking more and more like Greyhound is never going to find our missing luggage... that would be many of my partner's clothes, his shaver, and some tools and camping equipment. Replacement cost will be way more than what Greyhound will pay us... and many, many hours of shopping.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:42 pm

catinthefunnyhat wrote:(fine as in the wales are very narrow, so it's a bit like velvet in texture, only not so soft).

Those narrow wales get me every f*cking time. Did you inform their prince?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Box Burner » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Fuck, fuck, fuck fuck! It looks like the idiot who replaced the seal previously did not replace the bearings. So I already thought that the bearings would need to be replaced. But because the bearings were not replaced then, the fucking dam axle has to be replaced also. On top of that the brakes have to be replaced because the oil that leaked out soaked the asbestos. Looks to cost over $1000 now. Fuck. How am I gonna fucking do that ?
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Fuck, I'm tired after getting back and it's been almost a week!

I had to aid three burners with a broken automatic transmission and shepherd them from BRC to Reno. No sooner do they get all set to go when I get the phone call from the other direction - - the CORE project team from Midwest Burners is involved in a rollover accident on I-80 near Evanston, WY.

I let the first bunch go to Santa Monica (they made it home OK and in one piece the next day) and I'm doing the high-speed run thing down I-80. Two burners in Evanston are really banged up, one with two compression-fractured vertebrae. They were lucky, and I can get them home. The husband of one of them makes the same high-speed run from the other direction (in Kansas), and we work together to get the trailer back in shape. I tow it home for them.

Finally, I walk into my home at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday morning, five days after I left BRC and three days behind schedule. I have to work the next day. I collapsed after starting the laundry.

I still feel less than optimum. I need some goddamn sleep. Fuck.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:23 pm

I really meant to bump my traffic safety thread before the burn. I swear, the drive home is where the worst accidents happen.

(Note: That is a general impression, not a scientific study with representitive data.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Look for a complete axle.

Maybe a better deal on the work?
gyre

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:26 pm

awe fuck, BB!!
what you need is a good "shade tree" mechanic.......that can "make do" and still keep you safe. for now.

crap, I'm too far west!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion