Luggage allowance

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Luggage allowance

Postby spanglecat » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:57 am

After years of waiting, I'm finally going to my first burn next year. As we're coming from the UK, I was hoping to get some advice about clothing!

We'll only have a luggage allowance of around 50 pounds (maximum), and within that I'll obviously need some non-burn clothes for travelling. With that in mind, what stuff for the playa should I absolutely make sure to pack, and what can I get away with leaving behind? What clothing types are absolutely must-have, no matter what?

Thanks all :)
spanglecat

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Luggage allowance

Postby Dork » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:52 am

First, make sure you double check the allowances for that specific flight. It used to be that international flights in/out of the US had to allow two checked bags. They do check the size and weights carefully these days though with scales at the checkin counter so no fudging whatever the limits are.

I'd start by eliminating anything you can buy cheaply in the US - plain shirts, socks, camping gear, toiletries, and default world clothing. Any Kmart, Walmart, Target, etc will have those things. Many of them will get trashed on the playa anyway, so no sense in bringing your good stuff from home. Next, wear anything heavy onto the plane - heavy boots, jacket, etc. Take them off after you board.

The only important things are those that you really really want to have at the burn and are not generic things available at big box stores - costumes, colorful clothes, art, personal gifts, goggles, and anything else you created yourself to bring.
Dork

Postby peyote2004 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:19 pm

I agree with Dork.

Figure out what you can get cheap here and plan from there. Check out the websites for Walmart/Kmart, etc. do a web search for Thrift stores in Reno, or wherever you're flying into, and plan some time to shop.

You need cool stuff for the daytime, and very warm clothes for night. I plan to pack layers for clothes, with "accessories" to add a little fun. I love wings, hats and wacky headbands.
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby kiss-o-matic » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:02 pm

spanglecat wrote:After years of waiting, I'm finally going to my first burn next year. As we're coming from the UK, I was hoping to get some advice about clothing!

We'll only have a luggage allowance of around 50 pounds (maximum), and within that I'll obviously need some non-burn clothes for travelling. With that in mind, what stuff for the playa should I absolutely make sure to pack, and what can I get away with leaving behind? What clothing types are absolutely must-have, no matter what?

Thanks all :)

It might not be an option, but if you have a lot of miles, see if you can upgrade for miles + a couple hundred pounds. You'll need to do it both ways unless you trash/burn some clothes. Most airlines allow about 20 pounds more (and maybe even an extra bag) for business class. You can also ship some back via boat if you only get the upgrade one way.

As for your non-burn clothes: I tacked on a two week work trip. I have 1 pair of jeans, 1 decent shirt, 3 pairs of shorts, and some Tshirts. I've had to do laundry, but it means I brought more burn clothes.

Other pro tips:
If you're buying clothes online specifically for the burn, you might want to try to find someone in the states to receive them for you and ship them to some location for you to pick up. Yes, this is risky, and maybe even dodgy, but fur adds up FAST. If you stay a night in a hotel you can probably have it shipped there and held 3-4 days before. Or maybe have someone meet you with it on the Playa? Not ideal, but better than nothing. I had a box of shit waiting for me when I touched down. Was nice.
kiss-o-matic

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 pm

* Comfortable, protective, broken-in footwear (several) and 1 pr flip flops for in-camp short-term wear
* Dark goggles & light goggles, for day and night (or one pair with interchangeable lenses)
* Twice as many socks and underwear as seem reasonable
* Sealed outfit (incl. shoes) for after the first shower on the way back
* Loose billowy dresses for day
* Costumes for events (theme camp parties, parades, whatever) . . .

* Warm coat, preferably a fun, spirited one (if you care) so you don't feel sad or frumpy when it's cold
* A light layer, like a sweater or hoodie or silk thermal stuff to stuff in your backpack when you head out on a warmish night
* Wearable lights of all kinds for night, esp. in the potties
* Parasol, or a hat with strap or tight fit (and other sun shields)
* Backpack
* Wide scarves/shemaghs/bandannas for dust protection
* Work gloves, tool belt, utility/camera belt

Don't forget a towel or two.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Nipple » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 pm

The greeters will allow you to enter the city with one bag for free, however additional bags cost hugs.

PLAN APPROPRIATELY.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Nipple wrote:The greeters will allow you to enter the city with one bag for free, however additional bags cost hugs.

This explains EVERYTHING. :shock:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Gazmatron » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:28 pm

My trick is to take my snowboard... you may laugh, but most airlines allow one additional bag of sports equipment for free - i.e. an extra 23kg :)
Gazmatron

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Nipple » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:03 pm

That's awesome! In the same vein, when ever air traveling with a unicycle it is "circus equipment" and not any kind of *cycle. The difference is $50 to a $200 in some cases. Airlines are super expensive for traveling with bikes.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ratty » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:55 pm

When we travel international I always BUY extra luggage allowance. It's pretty cheap. You buy it with your ticket.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Cat_in_boots » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:58 pm

i did the trip from australia with just a 7kg carry on bag- i was on staff travel though so was also on standby, with no guarantee of a seat.
but depends on your circumstances... do you have contacts in the usa to help organise anything prior?

check the airlines website prior to booking for excess charges. some are a set amount for an extra case. others charge per/lb over the allowance. Maybe the cheapest flight has the heftiest charges.

If you have to do any domestic legs (ie lax-reno/ sfo-reno) book them onto the international ticket. Not only does it work out cheaper, but by having just one ticket number means your domestic flight won't charge you at the airport for luggage. (You still can built stopovers in as well, just make sure u do all the flights in one booking)

dont forget to pack a clean pair of shoes/flip flops for the ride out. my exodus pack was missing this and it felt horrid having to wear playa shoes in the default world. nothing beats clean shoes and socks!
Cat_in_boots

Postby trilobyte » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:35 am

You're also welcome to spend some time reading the boards (as well as the material on the main site) and coming to your own conclusions, that may yield better results than what you'd get in a 'what should I pack' thread.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Clothing & Playawear