Playa Boots

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Playa Boots

Postby chica63 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:04 pm

I have notoriously bad feet and bad luck with blisters, bruised toenails and general clumsiness. I run into everything. I need something that comes up over my shins because I WILL run into rebar. lol :roll: Plus my feet are WIDE with a very high arch. Being a burgin, this Playa boot situation has been more of a concern than anything else for me. A client came in with these on a few months ago and I knew I had found my boots!!

Harley Davidson (but I apologize I can't remember the style name). $145. They zip up on the inside but lace in the back so I can tighten them around my small ankle and let them out around my larger calves. Both buckles are also adjustable. These things are MUCH lighter than they look and were really comfy and damn near broken in right out of the box. True to size. They're regular width but fit perfectly. Over the calf but not quite all the way up to the knee. I've been wearing them every day in the 100+ heat and so far they don't bother me at all. I wear Wigwam or Dickey's tube socks that come up past the tops.

I also have some knockoff ughs and another pair of taller grey boots (and even some flip flops for camp time) but these will be my main footwear for the week. Hopefully the playa dust wont eat and destroy them but even if it does, for me, it was definitley worth spending the money.
Dreamers have all the fun.
chica63

Burning Since: 2012

Postby gaminwench » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:14 pm

I have these boots, they love the playa.

Clean and condition them with leather balm before you go;
post-playa,
a wipe with vinegar water (use a toothbrush for crevices),
then condition again.
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby chica63 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:19 pm

gaminwench wrote:I have these boots, they love the playa.

Clean and condition them with leather balm before you go;
post-playa,
a wipe with vinegar water (use a toothbrush for crevices),
then condition again.

Good to know! And thanks for the care tips.. will do!
Dreamers have all the fun.
chica63

Most comfy boots?

Postby Candybox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm a girl. I'm looking for some amazing, comfy boots for the playa next year. Not too tall, not too warm. But must be comfortable—like a dream to walk in with good support. What are some of the comfiest boot brands you know?
Candybox

Burning Since: 2010

Re: Most comfy boots?

Postby RedHeaven » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:48 pm

I like the boots that have a sneaker like bottom and are flat. I have some generic like ones and I love them. There are many brands. I like the mix of sneaker and boot. Preferrably without laces or zips but not sure if I could find some like that, that would be the best, though.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Savannah » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:36 pm

I have merged this thread, y'all, and messaged Candybox, kthyx. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:32 am

so my tall ass platform boots... big no no at night. Day it is fine but just to hot. The pirate boots where pretty much go to for this year. I am going to be buying a new pair of boots for christmas so i have time to break them in. looking into tall docs. what is everyones view with them? yay or nay?

these are the two im looking at. I like the 2nd pair alot.

maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:58 am

You don't really need anything more than 8-eye boots out there, for proper support and enough height to block dust, and allow for either skirts or trousers. Easier to maintain w/ leather treatment, and less hassle when it rains and you develop playa platforms.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby TomServo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Bob wrote:You don't really need anything more than 8-eye boots out there, for proper support and enough height to block dust, and allow for either skirts or trousers. Easier to maintain w/ leather treatment, and less hassle when it rains and you develop playa platforms.

14 eye steel toes are proper shit kicking boots...especially ranger boots

anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby AntiM » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:12 pm

I do like the cherry tone of that middle pair!

I have a pair of used desert Bates (military issue) but didn't even break them out of the boot bin. I love them, but I just didn't go walking this year.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:17 pm

Anything more than ankle-high boots is purely decorative.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby CornMan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 pm

I alternated between heavy work boots, dress shoes, house slippers, and teva sandals. It worked fine without a hint of playa foot. I kept thinking I'd like to replace the work boots with something more light weight like these below.

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Ratty » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:55 am

Those look so comfy. I love the look and feel of work boots as long as they're not too heavy.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:04 am

Chukka boots would be great if I could find a pair which was all foofified. Yes, I wore waffle stompers in high school.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:36 pm

AntiM wrote:Chukka boots ...

Oh, the irony.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TomServo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Bob wrote:Anything more than ankle-high boots is purely decorative.

Not True! My 14 eye boots have protected my legs from dog and human bites on several occasions!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:11 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
AntiM wrote:Chukka boots ...

Oh, the irony.

Gah.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby edbrez » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:33 pm

for the ladies

or

for the guys

Would a lighter more breathable option not be more comfortable in the heat than big heavy leather boots?
I've nice cons at the moment :)
anyone have experience with cons whether they are comfortable or not on the playa?
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
edbrez

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Howzit

Postby Ratty » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Wear something that's comfortable at home. Then..Think...Are you going to get drunk and spear your ankle on rebar? Do you run much? Can you dance in them? Can you climb? (Yes, you'll have oportunities to climb).Are they good for 6 hours? Eight? Twenty four?
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby edbrez » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Ratty wrote:Wear something that's comfortable at home. Then..Think...Are you going to get drunk and spear your ankle on rebar? Do you run much? Can you dance in them? Can you climb? (Yes, you'll have oportunities to climb).Are they good for 6 hours? Eight? Twenty four?

Thanks for advice
I'd risk the chance of tripping over rebar for the comfort of lighter boots during the hottest part of the day.
At night I would possibly swap to something more durable and protective alright
Docs would be ok I guess, least they are relatively light in comparison to combat boots
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
edbrez

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:04 pm

I wear chucks (that's what we call cons over here) all the time. I take a pair or two to the playa. Never had a problem with them, I wear the low tops. Last year my feet were totally fucked up most of the time. I had blister/foot issues before hitting BRC. It hurt to even wear my thongs, playa foot on the tops of your feet suck.

I was so cocky about it before (i'll never get playa foot said I ) because I have tough ass feet and am used to the climate in N. Nevada... :oops: :cry:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby edbrez » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:18 pm

lucky420 wrote:I wear chucks (that's what we call cons over here) all the time. I take a pair or two to the playa. Never had a problem with them, I wear the low tops. Last year my feet were totally fucked up most of the time. I had blister/foot issues before hitting BRC. It hurt to even wear my thongs, playa foot on the tops of your feet suck.

I was so cocky about it before (i'll never get playa foot said I ) because I have tough ass feet and am used to the climate in N. Nevada... :oops: :cry:

Oow I feel for you.... :(
Last thing I'd want to deal with is blisters, gets to a point where the skin on the sole of your foot falls apart. Try adventure running!
I'm thinking if I can make sure my foot is sealed somewhat from the dust should avoid skin becoming to dry.
I think these should do it
It shouldn't make a difference what footwear i'm wearing then hopefully :)
edbrez

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:37 pm

I've worn my chucks every year on the playa without a problem - they're my go-to daytime shoe. They're not the leather ones, just bright yellow & black high-tops. I wear fresh, thick, white cotton socks with them, never had a problem (so far). I don't have particularly tough feet, and I have never done a single lemon-vinegar-baby-wipe-foot-bath thing on playa. It's either luck, or those fluff white cotton socks (because I get hangnails like crazy on my hands out there).

The thing about playa footwear is that nothing is universal, and very few things are perfect for every occasion (unless you're an in-my-boots-always type person, and I'm not). Bring a couple of pairs you think might work your first year or two, see which ones are comfortable, and keep the ones you're not wearing in a sealed tub or ziplock bags, that way they're still useable off-playa if you don't wear them on-playa.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:43 pm

Pack for 2 pairs of socks a day, Eddie, cushy ones are best, you can buy them cheap over here in big packs. I wear sneakers (trainers?) all day, flip-flops in camp, wash/grease/pull on biker boots at dusk. Cushy socks. 8)

Lucky my dear :cry: I wish you'd have shown me your feet while we were there, I might have had something for you. The old wino across the street shows me his feet every time he sees me :? so why shouldn't you?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby edbrez » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:55 pm

Ok thanks for the info Eric

I was a bit concerned about all the talk of lemon vinegar baths and the need to moisturize the feet everyday. I presumed it was due to people going barefoot but wasn't sure. I'll carry light comfortable chucks and maybe a pair of vibrams for around camp. Think the message I'm getting here is to invest in quality socks. I believe wool socks are the best for breath-ability, or as you have mentioned cotton. Comfort really is my main concern. I don't normally wear boots so I'd prefer if I didn't have to out there.

Ok at least 14 pairs of socks so :D
Thanks MDF
edbrez

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Love you MDF
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:58 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:I wear sneakers (trainers?)...

Do I hear "plimsols", ladies and gentlemen?

Not that those are really the same thing, it's just been so long since I've heard the term plimsol. I don't even know if I spell it right.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby moonrise » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Bomber Leather HighTop Sneakers for day and night.

Uggs boots for nightime camp relaxing and a good evening/morning slipper :) Someday I hope to get a pair of the original pre-ugg boots, imported from Oz!

Rigid strap type flip flops for to and from the shower only.
Lucy420 is right, if you rely on these to get around much at all you'll develope those blisters on top of your feet. :cry: F&%$# that noise.

Virgins beware... Everyones' feet get hot sweaty (soaked at times) and at night as an extra caution beware that your feet can get VERY COLD! I recall having to use a blanket to keep my feet warm, then discovered real sheerling sheep skin boots (UGGS) are the best for warmth. Please note I do not ride a bike nor walk much (partiall disabled) so my feet may get colder from inactivity (I use a gas powered mini MV) Hence, my view point is skewed just a little bit, due to a bad back.

I think for most it's best to do the small tub/pan/tray /lid/whatever of vinegar water to step in, dry off with towel, slather whatever is handy on and yer good to go! I know I should do this daily but I do it about every other day, it works well for me most of the time.
Also, If I feel prickling in my feet (usually from neglect) I do this regime asap.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Eric » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:08 am

edbrez wrote:I was a bit concerned about all the talk of lemon vinegar baths and the need to moisturize the feet everyday. I presumed it was due to people going barefoot but wasn't sure.

Make sure you have plenty of baby-wipes and some vinegar just-in-case. I did my first two years (now I just have babywipes, but those are for hands, face & bits) because you honestly don't know how you're going to react to the dust until you're out there. I have a friend who can walk barefoot for an entire day with no ill effect (and he got me to walk barefoot for a while last year - first time ever, and the dust feels sooooooo good on your feet when it's cool & powdery in the morning and Fishy... go!). I have other friends who have to do the moisturizer/sock thing constantly or they get playa foot. There is just no telling...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:58 am

I'd be wary of going with toe-socks and toe-shoes out there. We had a couple campmates this past year who are avid walkers and do the toe-shoe thing back in defaultia, even for lots of hiking. They did not have very happy feet, and by the end of the week were sticking closer to camp more often than not because of foot problems. The three most important things to consider:

• Comfort when you're walking great distances
  • Comfort when you're wearing for extended periods of time
  • Comfort when you're in extreme conditions (like, say, a high altitude desert)
Everything else is minor.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear