Final Thoughts and Analysis?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Final Thoughts and Analysis?

Postby thirt33n » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:12 pm

grenadine wrote:Vis a vis Exodus. I think a lot of credit should be given to the ustream live coverage. I left early to avoid exocalypse and felt great about it knowing that if I timed it right I would be able to watch the man burn online surrounded by friends and loved ones at home.

WOW! Seriously?

I get the impression, from your side bar profile, that this was your first trip to the playa?

just. wow.
Glad you had a good time though.
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby Candybox » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:42 am

We left Sunday morning and drove, at reasonable speed, straight through the exits. "Never staying for another temple burn again," we thought, and patted ourselves on the back for our foresight.

Then we heard that Monday Exodus was pretty much a non-issue either, with something like at most a 2 hour wait. Last year's Exodus wait was a driving shift unto itself. Really have no idea how it worked out so well this year.
Candybox

Burning Since: 2010

Postby BBadger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:35 am

grenadine wrote:Vis a vis Exodus. I think a lot of credit should be given to the ustream live coverage. I left early to avoid exocalypse and felt great about it knowing that if I timed it right I would be able to watch the man burn online surrounded by friends and loved ones at home.

You have got to be kidding me. You're patting yourself on the back for leaving early to watch the man burn on the internet at home? What is the point? That's about as sad as people curling up in front of their TV tuned to a station showing a log fire.

comcastYuleLog.jpg
Available on Pay-Per-View for only $9!
comcastYuleLog.jpg (176.31 KiB) Viewed 448 times

That's not timing things right. If you want "timing," any time in the late morning up until the temple burn on Sunday you can leave without hardly any line at all.

Candybox wrote:We left Sunday morning and drove, at reasonable speed, straight through the exits. "Never staying for another temple burn again," we thought, and patted ourselves on the back for our foresight.

A good idea. This year we decided to stay for the temple burn, unlike 2011 when we left Sunday morning. While the burn was pretty, I don't think it was really worth the dangerous 2AM departure to the gate, 2.5hr wait (really not that bad), having to pull over to the side of the road to sleep at 5:30 AM, dangerous night drivers, etc. Everyone was sleepy and cranky after that too.

So while I won't say "never again" we probably will weigh leaving early a lot higher next time in the decision making procedure.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:24 am

On Monday, people rode around the city on bikes with bullhorns announcing there was no wait to depart. None, zip, zero. The radio seconded this. I think more people left after the Temple Burn than any other time.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Candybox » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:38 am

BBadger wrote:A good idea. This year we decided to stay for the temple burn, unlike 2011 when we left Sunday morning. While the burn was pretty, I don't think it was really worth the dangerous 2AM departure to the gate, 2.5hr wait (really not that bad), having to pull over to the side of the road to sleep at 5:30 AM, dangerous night drivers, etc. Everyone was sleepy and cranky after that too.

Last year, we left after the Temple Burn... and waited 6 hours. Or something close. Really. My sister's whole driving shift consisted of Exodus while the two of us got some sleep. We were already packed up and left after the burn... and I remember reaching the road at the first breath of dawn.
Candybox

Burning Since: 2010

Postby grenadine » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:45 am

thirt33n wrote:

WOW! Seriously?

I get the impression, from your side bar profile, that this was your first trip to the playa?

just. wow.
Glad you had a good time though.

Yup... no regrets either. I enjoyed the Anubis burn Friday night. It's not like this is going to be the only time I go TTITD. Next year I'll stay for the man burn and the year after that I'll stay for the temple burn. My husband stayed behind this year (after going in 2007) and it was great being able to tell him of my adventures while we watched the burn online.
grenadine

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby Morrell » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:40 am

My 6th burn and my fiancee's 2nd (yup proposed to her at the Temple!): weather had it's moments, but altogether not too bad. I agree the deep playa was sparse in art. We let the week take us were it was meant to (only planned event was the meet n greet which was fabulous!) and, as always, met amazing and wonderful people both veterans and burgins. God bless the French Fry guy!!! The Temple burn always means a lot to us but at the cost of what appears to be the worst exodus times (6 hours last year and 5 this year) but ya just suck it up! Despite all the angst over the ticket fiasco the week did not disappoint and my faith in what the experience brings out in most people remains unshaken. See you all in the dust in 2013!!!
Morrell

Burning Since: 2007

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man