Is there a problem with stealing at BM?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Is there a problem with stealing at BM?

Postby Candybox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 pm

We locked shit up religiously this year, and had no problems with theft. We even had a little combination luggage lock for our tent zippers.

My first year, my bike was stolen while parked at a sound camp, even though it was locked and decorated with my name and camp address. I never changed the lock combo from the default number, figuring that the mere fact that it was locked would be deterrence enough. That really hurt and it was my only bike at the time.

Last year after the man burn, a couple guys tried to walk off with our bikes while my boyfriend was guarding them at the port-a-potties. He was standing right there! They walked to the port-a-potties with no bikes, grabbed them and tried to walk off, and pretended they'd made a drunken mistake when my boyfriend called them out on it. Someone also stole my sister's bike from our camp... but then returned it the next morning. No harm, no foul, and we actually thought it was pretty cute that they returned it.
Candybox

Burning Since: 2010

Postby khamernick » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:06 am

this was my sixth burn, and an extremely last minute decision to go, and i'm so happy i did! sadly though i lost my backpack (or now i'm thinking it was stolen) on thursday night in the middle of the playa, after an art car we were dancing at drove away. i had a brand new camera in that bag, along with many other items that i wish i could have back. i am trying to stay positive and have hope that someone will return it. it's been a week though, and i've been reading all the people that have missing bags on the bulletin, and not one person has posted anything about found bags! i'm starting to lose hope :cry: i think people were stealing them. i put my bag down for 5 minutes, and *poof* it was gone. i heard that story from a lot fo people too. i even found a backpack that night, and i thought maybe that person got confused and grabbed the wrong one, but it looked completely different. yeah i know, i'm dumb to even take it off my back and set it down, but i would like to think i can trust people around me (especially at burningman!) to not be so fucked up or absent-minded that they take the wrong bag.

i'll do it very differently next year. i'll probably not bring a camera at all? i'll have a pack that's incorporated with my costume, and i won't ever take it off me!

i had such a great burn, but this has been the most challenging one for sure. i'm trying to get over it, but it's hard.
khamernick

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Debocceri

Postby stinkyfoot » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:15 am

HotBurner wrote:please check your female privilege.

Ugh, looks like /r/mensrights sprung a leak.
stinkyfoot

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Thats terrible, Kahm......I hope you get your backpack back or that you will get double fold the love next year.
I get a small back pack that I can dance with it on, and use a really janky camera, I really gotta keep that backpack on. Always worried someone will steal it. Get yourself a cozier back pack for next time, something that really is snuggy comfy on you and pack lighter and do not remove it unless you are really comfortable and know your surroundings.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby AdamOfTheRedEarth » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:34 pm

One of my campmates had a really nice mountain bike and it was stolen about mid week from our camp. This was my first burn but I had been reading lots of threads on here and told everyone at our theme camp (7 of us were virgins) to lock up their bikes at all times. Sadly no one listened to me until that bike got jacked. Thankfully nothing else was touched, but that was largely due to how we planned our camp layout (public/interactive stuff in front, private stuff in back with only one way in) and a bit of luck I believe.
AdamOfTheRedEarth

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House of Skin - Adult Playground

Postby teardropper » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:29 pm

It's the little things - or not. Friday night, we were on the top deck of an art car that was playing actual live music. They invited 4 or 5 of us from the Conclave to drum with them. Started warm but dusty so I hung my Patagonia fleece on the rail right beside me and gave a twist, tied it down, so it would stay. The car had to stop sevaral times - I couldn't see the front of the car for the dust. But when we got up to go after several hours, someone had decided they liked it more than me. Art cars are not cabs. They just let you off. Even if they invited you on to play. We had a long late cool walk with drums and no fleece. Ah, the night cap...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby ygmir » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:22 pm

though my leg is swollen and purple from the knee down, I was able to explain to a fellow the downside of theft............along with other vigilantes as he was running away.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Snow » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:30 pm

some douche stole my blinky light globe off my girls bike as we were dancing. We had to be darktardish
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby maladroit » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:53 pm

I stole my own bike! It was pretty funny. I went to the portas and left my bike outside, unlocked (I usually do lock it, but was...in a hurry, shall we say). Thirty seconds later and much relieved, I headed back to camp. It took a minute to realize I was on foot. Back to the portas.

I walked off the street, up to my bike, flipped up the kickstand, turned on the headlight, and rode away. All like I owned it (because I did). During this procedure, I overheard a running commentary. "Yep...that bike is getting stolen. Wow. Just casual as fuck." and so on.

I let them keep their excitement.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby teardropper » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:54 am

ygmir wrote:though my leg is swollen and purple from the knee down, I was able to explain to a fellow the downside of theft............along with other vigilantes as he was running away.

Details, Yggy, details...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man