Any regrets?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Any regrets?

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:17 am

None.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:29 am

thanks for the straight line....

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby grenadine » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:57 am

Not having more time to get to know my new friends better... but that's why I'm here now.
grenadine

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:04 pm

For the most part I do not have any real regrets. But I have a few-

Wish I was not such a ferret. my little corner of the shade structure was a mess. Need to work on my cleaning skills for next year.

Wish I would have participated more. I was scared of being told no or being judged.

Bringing the wrong shoes.

Bringing the wrong clothes... comfy over fashion next year

Those are my only regrets. All of them I can work on next year :)
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Regrets are a state of mind, one that can be easily viewed differently if I look at the week in a different angle.

In one lens I see a list of regrets, in another I see very few.

I am sure if we reworded it to "Missed opportunities" rather than regrets, less of you would respond with "none"
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Nipple wrote:I don't say "Yes" to things enough.

I'm a firm "Oh, No thank you!" kinda guy. I'm coming around to that being a bullshit response out there.

"Oh, no thank you" from me means, "I don't fully comprehend this scenario, and am slightly uncomfortable with this, so I will say No in a polite manner to resolve this."

Next year I will try to change "Oh, no thank you!" to "Yer Gawddamn RIGHT!"

Except to heroin*.

YAY!

Let us start with leaning on you & your sweetheart to come to the ePlaya Meet & Greet, 'cause I'm pretty sure you didn't make it. If you did, I didn't meet you. It was so much fun, and everybody was on their most absurd best behavior. "Enemies" hugging. Curmudgeons unveiled as sweethearts. You need to be there! :)

This is where you say . . . "Yer Gawddamn RIGHT!"

Other regrets... time. The thing that turns cities to dust. I didn't make the best use of my time.

Moop: I'm fairly certain I dropped some vitamins on the ground near the man during burn night. I was unable to find them from the baggy I had them in. I'm fairly sure that they were discovered and eaten. Someone out there got fucked up on some Vitamin C (Non-Chewable). I hope it made their night.

* - This wasn't an issue, but I LIKE TO BE PREPARED.

Anyone in the habit of eating pills off the ground probably REALLY needed that vitamin C. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby skippy3k » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm a firm "Oh, No thank you!" kinda guy. I'm coming around to that being a bullshit response out there.

"Oh, no thank you" from me means, "I don't fully comprehend this scenario, and am slightly uncomfortable with this, so I will say No in a polite manner to resolve this."

Well said! We should hang out next year. Wait, maybe we shouldn't. We will end up "No thank you'ing" each other to death.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:06 pm

I picture you two like the terribly polite Gophers in Looney Tunes. :D

Oh, you go first!
Oh no, I couldn't possibly!
May I?
Please do!
Shall we?
Surely!

Savannah

Postby wh..sh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Savannah wrote:Let us start with leaning on you & your sweetheart to come to the ePlaya Meet & Greet, 'cause I'm pretty sure you didn't make it.

He was there! I met him.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby wh..sh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:18 pm

knowmad wrote:
wh..sh wrote:NONE.
After last year's burn, I had lot of questions and few regrets. This year was a closure... a redemption. Every single thing that happened and did not happen at the burn was exactly what I needed.

didn't see you at the Burn Wooshie. kinda made my bunnie ears droop. Still love you though.

I love you too bunny!! I looked for you everywhere, during MnG :(
I do believe that we will meet again, so I am not going to let a little glitch in the plan droop the bunnie ears *holds bunny ears up right*

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Nipple » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:28 pm

wh..sh wrote:
Savannah wrote:Let us start with leaning on you & your sweetheart to come to the ePlaya Meet & Greet, 'cause I'm pretty sure you didn't make it.

He was there! I met him.

She totally made me sit in Ygmir's lap. I walked over, she was sitting in his lap. She stood up pointed at his lap, so I sat and had a conversation.

At some point... maybe 5-10 minutes later, we both came to the realization that moment had passed.

(It was nice. FYI.)

He always says he's a slight man. He looks like a big guy to me, however I am a wee person.

OH! And someone at the M&G met my Heterosexual Life Partner. She was the blue fairy that showed up briefly, before I did.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Zhust » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:30 pm

I did a lot of things I wanted to, and had some great successes (cue link to blog post).

But I really wanted to kick a dent in what grew from "shyness" to "confidence that I'm not going to be liked". Despite having my brain-to-speech filters dialed way down (much to the amusement and bemusement of people around me), I forgot that I wanted to put my heart out there more by reframing "emotional walls" as "instant defensive shields". I forgot that I wanted to say, "hey, you're cute: I want to talk with you" rather than quietly assuming you didn't want to. I forgot to use Burning Man as a sandbox for trying out new patterns and new behaviors.

Next year ... Frostburn ... this month ... today. Argh ... so hard to feign strength. Ignorance is bliss except I peeked: too fringe for the squares and too square for the fringe. Aaand -- we're back to square one. Fuck.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Nipple wrote:
wh..sh wrote:

He was there! I met him.

She totally made me sit in Ygmir's lap. I walked over, she was sitting in his lap. She stood up pointed at his lap, so I sat and had a conversation.

At some point... maybe 5-10 minutes later, we both came to the realization that moment had passed.

(It was nice. FYI.)

He always says he's a slight man. He looks like a big guy to me, however I am a wee person.

OH! And someone at the M&G met my Heterosexual Life Partner. She was the blue fairy that showed up briefly, before I did.

Dammit! When were you there? I didn't see you or the Blue Fairy.

Well, I'm glad you went. It means you might come back.

Savannah

Postby maladroit » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Zhust wrote:too fringe for the squares and too square for the fringe. Aaand -- we're back to square one. Fuck.

You aren't alone, but that means you still are.

I think Burning Man needs another couple tries to crack the shell.
maladroit

Postby Nipple » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:42 pm

My current regret: I'm 2 hours away from Gate Road with a gassed up rental car and I have exactly zero reason to be there, and the closure order is in effect for a couple more days.

And Zhust: It's early yet, but I know I'll be there next year. Let's meet up next year, explore and say "Yes" a bunch.
Nipple

Postby wh..sh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Nipple wrote:
wh..sh wrote:

He was there! I met him.

(It was nice. FYI.)

:lol: Bwahahaha! What a great memory!
I had just taken the lap seat. I saw you were eager to talk to Ygmir but, you were far off, sitting on the horsey. So, I wanted to be nice and offer you the lap seat :twisted: I am sort of nice that way.

Dammit, I missed the blue fairy!

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby ygmir » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:56 pm

wh..sh wrote:
Nipple wrote:
wh..sh wrote:He was there! I met him.

(It was nice. FYI.)

He always says he's a slight man.(I"m a Don Knotts twin/look alike) He looks like a big guy to me, however I am a wee person.

:lol: Bwahahaha! What a great memory!
I had just taken the lap seat. I saw you were eager to talk to Ygmir but, you were far off, sitting on the horsey. So, I wanted to be nice and offer you the lap seat :twisted: I am sort of nice that way.

Dammit, I missed the blue fairy!

*smiles, as owner of said, lap, this was all quite nice*

Savannah wrote:I picture you two like the terribly polite Gophers in Looney Tunes. :D

Oh, you go first!
Oh no, I couldn't possibly!
May I?
Please do!
Shall we?
Surely!

Mac and Tosh:

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:51 pm

When I look at this, I think, NO REGRETS
What an amazing weather year.

RedHeaven

Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Holy crap.

That might be my favorite picture, so far.

Judging by the lightning, that was taken sometime after midnight on Friday morning.

Savannah

Postby Zhust » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Nipple wrote:And Zhust: It's early yet, but I know I'll be there next year. Let's meet up next year, explore and say "Yes" a bunch.

My brain is hard at work with making some way to make things easier. The current rough sketch curiosity (curiosities are too impractical for engineering and too incomplete for art) is something like a video link — something to make it just a little easier to say what you mean to someone else ... like a game where the communicating person is interviewed and recorded or closed-circuit video linked to the victimrecipient. I think it's way too elaborate, but that's where I'm at now.

Relatedly, I think some amalgam of a wingman/muse/devil-on-the-shoulder/angel-on-the-shoulder kind of person would be a boon. I think it would be fun to bring that to the Playa as a "service" — "I'll hang out with you and tell you to do the difficult thing and/or shove such circumstances in your face." E.g. "that woman seems kind of cute ..."/"let's go talk with her now." I fell like it would be easier when you've got a trickster nearby with no vested interest in the actual outcome.

So yeah, Nipple. Let's meet next year. Are you free noon on Tuesday, August 27, 2013? Great. How about the intersection of "I" and 5. I'll be wearing a gray disdasha and a hat.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:37 pm

yeah i think it was the night/morning of the core burns. tom and i got stuck out in that stuff and had to seek shelter in center camp.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby wh..sh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Zhust wrote:So yeah, Nipple. Let's meet next year. Are you free noon on Tuesday, August 27, 2013? Great. How about the intersection of "I" and 5. I'll be wearing a gray disdasha and a hat.

Nipple, say "yes".

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby clocksnmirrors » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:54 pm

that it all seemed to be over so quickly

i wasn't ready for the magical world to evaporate
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Postby Nipple » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:03 pm

I don't know what a disdasha is, but I'm in.

Nipple

Postby pink » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:43 pm

No regrets. Didn't make it to the trash fence, but then I NEVER make it to the trash fence.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby Candybox » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:47 am

Amazing burn. Had some regrets about not seeing everything we wanted to see, but BM is so big and constant that it's hard to have your cake and eat it too. We wanted to scheduled events this year, including morning Yoga classes and whatnot... and well, that's a trade-off between staying up until 9am. Building Anubis for a week early entry resulted in us burning out from exhaustion much earlier than anticipated. When Saturday rolled around, we actually missed the Man burn because we passed out for 8 hours, got up and tried to go out... and ended up passing out in a tea house for the rest of the night.

So... Didn't get to climb or look at the CORE art up close because we thought they'd burn later than Wednesday

Didn't get to look at as much art

Never explored Deep Playa (usually one of my favorite parts)

Literally only went out one night. We're not huge party kids, but trust us, we DID want to do more.

Didn't even make it out to the sound camps at 2:30

Oh well.

And two listed events I really, really wanted to make: and Irish music session and the beg/int fan workshop

Anyway, can't want for next year :-D
Candybox

Burning Since: 2010

Postby lothos 1162 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:06 pm

My only regrets are that I didn't spend any time with my rideshare,and I never take time for myself(work to damn much). Lothos :twisted:
lothos 1162

Postby graidawg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:05 pm

Too much booze. I spent a lot of time not doing anything really. it was great and meant i spent a lot of time with people i wouldnt have otherwise met but still i just didnt really do much at all.

on the upside it meant i met Simon and spent a lot of time with knowmad. so overall it means i get to come next year and try again. see as Moon kept saying " it's all good"
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:08 am

pink wrote:No regrets. Didn't make it to the trash fence, but then I NEVER make it to the trash fence.

I always do, and, well... you didn't really miss much this year. Makes me want to devise a bunch of small art gifts to leave out there for intrepid wanderers next year...
~tzlf
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:00 pm

skippy3k wrote:

Well said! We should hang out next year. Wait, maybe we shouldn't. We will end up "No thank you'ing" each other to death.

Nipple offered me a beer last week and I said "No, thank you." Regrettable.

Somebody offered me Meade--his name was Meade--on the playa and I said "No, thank you and then immediately corrected myself because I couldn't think of an honest reason why I would decline. I completely relate to Nipple's situation.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man