Merit Badges at Burning Man

Merit Badges at Burning Man

Postby CarrieSnarf » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:49 pm

Not sure exactly where to stick this post, I'm sure someone will nudge it if need be.

I gave you a grilled cheese sandwich and you gave me a bunch of badges outside of the artery. I was floored at how great they were. The burner girl Rosie badge is easily the best thing anyone gifted me this year- an it was a year of truly spectacular gift- ever been orbital buffed? Yeah. It's hilarious, but in no way measures to that badge.

Anywho, We chatted about them and you graciously gifted me a few more. The problem is, my playa addled brain can't remember what they all stand for. Can someone help me out? What camp was doing this? Is there a key?
thesammiewagon.blogspot.com
CarrieSnarf

Re: Merit Badges at Burning Man

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:48 pm

If you scanned some in, we could speculate...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby CarrieSnarf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:22 am

If you scanned some in, we could speculate...

A wise suggestion Ma'am

Scanning things attached to a backpack does not make for fantastic quality, but I think you get the idea.

I think that the socks were for gifting, the bunny was for making a costume, the woman holding fire I'm drawing a blank on- maybe something to do with temple? And the Rosie badge, my favorite, maybe building something? I would love to confirm with the camp though and even better see a key of the rest of their fantastically great badges.
CarrieSnarf

Postby Oubliet » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Hm...maybe the girl holding fire is a purple heart.

For injuries sustained in the pursuit of making art?
Oubliet

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Karma Chickens

Postby CarrieSnarf » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:16 pm

For injuries sustained in the pursuit of making art?

I certainly have the scars to earn that one. Turns out a grilled cheese griddle is a little warm and playa does not feel exceptionally good in fresh burns :)
CarrieSnarf

Postby BirthChazz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Those badges are from Ember Scouts. They are given for stopping by the booth in the afternoon and telling your EPIC burning man stories.

https://www.facebook.com/emberscouts

They are (I believe):

Blatant disregard for law and order (stripy Socks)

falling in love with an art piece (Woman with purple flaming heart)

Working for The Man~ a theme camp or BMOrg (rosie a la Playa)

Edit: Costume you made yourself (pink bunny)

(the peeing in a complicated costume, looks like a pretzel contortionist)
Last edited by BirthChazz on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.” George Washington Carver
BirthChazz

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Spanky's Wine Bar

Postby piehole » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:33 pm

i'm gonna bring a vest next year with the purpose of getting as many patches/buttons/flair on it by the end of the week as possible
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Postby BirthChazz » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Then make sure to find Ember Scouts at Blue Light District, Pie :-) They would love to hear your stories!
“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.” George Washington Carver
BirthChazz

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:42 pm

What? There's still a Blue Lamp District?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:18 am

Bob wrote:What? There's still a Blue Lamp District?

perhaps a lost love, Bob?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby BirthChazz » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Blue Light District is still there. Classified as a village, 'tis even in the guide book:-)
BirthChazz

Postby Humin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:11 am

Look at that, I have an excuse to ask about the Black Light District. The last time it was listed as a village was a few years ago, but was there any concentration of blacklight themed camps in 2012?
Humin

Burning Since: 2013

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:42 pm

Humin, there was some great blacklight artwork behind the French Quarter this year, in Asia Town. They made an entire back alley, with blacklight lanterns strung from overhead, tapestry-like paintings on the walls, and fluorescent carpet tiles shaped like lotus and koi. It was beautiful and out-of-this-world. For blacklight artistry, I imagine it might be tough to beat - but don't let that stop you!

I know several other camps have coated sheets in glow-in-the-dark paint and hung them like walls, letting visiting participants "paint" with UV laserpointers. Because UV charges glow-in-the-dark paint quickly, the lasers leave a trail for several seconds. It's like temporary, glowing graffiti.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Humin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:30 am

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Humin, there was some great blacklight artwork behind the French Quarter this year, in Asia Town. They made an entire back alley, with blacklight lanterns strung from overhead, tapestry-like paintings on the walls, and fluorescent carpet tiles shaped like lotus and koi. It was beautiful and out-of-this-world. For blacklight artistry, I imagine it might be tough to beat - but don't let that stop you!

I know several other camps have coated sheets in glow-in-the-dark paint and hung them like walls, letting visiting participants "paint" with UV laserpointers. Because UV charges glow-in-the-dark paint quickly, the lasers leave a trail for several seconds. It's like temporary, glowing graffiti.

I just saw pictures of the French Quarter, that's pretty amazing. I'm a big fan of UV artists.
Humin

Burning Since: 2013

Return to Lost Humans