'Ello! (+Question)

'Ello! (+Question)

Postby ZHunter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi ePlaya!
Long time lurker and first time poster. <3 the forum.
My name is Zack Hunter and I love Burning Man.
Unfortunately I was not able to make it out there this year, but still enjoyed vicariously through ustream.
I had no idea I'd ever cry that hard from sitting on the computer! :P (Temple burn)

A little bit about me: mid twenties, audio engineer and entheogenic researcher. I would LOVE to volunteer at either BMIR or Sanctuary someday.

I recently wrote a fiction novel that references Burning Man that I think a lot of burners would enjoy reading it, but I wanted to first ask the board if it is OK to post links to one's personal art. I don't want to spam or disrespect the rules so I would appreciate some insight from the ePlaya vets on this. For example, if it is OK, what subforum would be best for this? If this particular forum isn't about sharing these types of things, that is perfectly understandable.

Thanks for taking the time to read my intro, see you on the forum!
www.zackhunter.me
ZHunter

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Bubble Camp

Re: 'Ello! (+Question)

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:29 am

Hi and welcome to the boards. No you may not promote or link to your novel (see this post regarding commerce & advertising, or better yet just read through the Overview of the ePlaya).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ZHunter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:31 am

Thanks for the info and the welcome!
www.zackhunter.me
ZHunter

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Bubble Camp

Postby illy dilly » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:06 pm

ZHunter wrote:I recently wrote a fiction novel that references Burning Man that I think a lot of burners would enjoy reading it, but I wanted to first ask the board if it is OK to post links to one's personal art. I don't want to spam or disrespect the rules so I would appreciate some insight from the ePlaya vets on this. For example, if it is OK, what subforum would be best for this? If this particular forum isn't about sharing these types of things, that is perfectly understandable.

Thanks for taking the time to read my intro, see you on the forum!

5 Points right off the bat for going about asking correctly!
But, godda ask, are you trying to sell the novel? Or is it just some hobby writting that you do for the pleasure of writing and maybe someones pleasure of reading?
The reason I ask, is that if you are trying to make a dime from it, ya need to check with the BMorg. Even if the reference is just a quick one liner.

On another note:
Welcome to Eplaya!
Hopefully you can find all the information and tips and tricks that you need!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby jkisha » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:54 pm

illy dilly wrote:The reason I ask, is that if you are trying to make a dime from it, ya need to check with the BMorg. Even if the reference is just a quick one liner.

Really? I find this hard to believe. A novel is a different proposition than an ebay auction, and even there they can put "burningman" in the body of the description, though not the title.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby illy dilly » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:43 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
illy dilly wrote:The reason I ask, is that if you are trying to make a dime from it, ya need to check with the BMorg. Even if the reference is just a quick one liner.

Really? I find this hard to believe. A novel is a different proposition than an ebay auction, and even there they can put "burningman" in the body of the description, though not the title.

I didn't know that. I thought the BMorg stance what that if you are using the term Burning Man to turn a profit in anyway that you had to have permission to do so?
Though, I'm not an expert on the matter and am very very likely to be wrong!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:52 am

I'm not sure of it, but one mention of ?Burningman" in a 300 page novel, doesn't

well, okay I"m not sure what does or does not... But if, for instance, I wrote a novel in which one or more characters drinks Coke a Cola. I don't think I have to get permission from the company in atlanta. I'm not sure that I'd have to get permission to set major scenes in the Coke factory/bottling plant either. I think that there's protection of artistic expression. I doubt that Warhol got permission from Campbell's to paint soup cans.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:41 am

Welcome.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby jerroc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm glad I read your post it gave me a great idea. Im going to keep a journal of my 2013 burn use the pics I take to illustrate and write a very short small book about my 2013 burn. Then give it away to virgins in 2014. Or who ever really. I just figured it might help them the most.

Welcome. a gift is something you give with out any expectation of return.
jerroc

Postby illy dilly » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm not sure of it, but one mention of ?Burningman" in a 300 page novel, doesn't

well, okay I"m not sure what does or does not... But if, for instance, I wrote a novel in which one or more characters drinks Coke a Cola. I don't think I have to get permission from the company in atlanta. I'm not sure that I'd have to get permission to set major scenes in the Coke factory/bottling plant either. I think that there's protection of artistic expression. I doubt that Warhol got permission from Campbell's to paint soup cans.

This is very true!
Hum? Interesting. It reminds me of the episode of The Office where Jim and Pam are talking about where the baby was conceived and Jim slips in a joke about a Burning Man Porta John. I always wondered if they had to get permission or what they had to do. Especially since its just a quick one liner and not trying to promote or anything like that.

Hopefully someone will come along with the exact answer. I really don't feel like having the Radical Self Reliance to find the exact answer.
illy dilly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:10 pm

illy dilly wrote:I really don't feel like having the Radical Self Reliance to find the exact answer.

As it involves the law, I'm not surprised.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:39 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
illy dilly wrote:I really don't feel like having the Radical Self Reliance to find the exact answer.

LOL!
Whats that supposed to mean?
illy dilly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:45 pm

illy dilly wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

LOL!

Law is a complicated and specialized sub-set of knowledge and even a little exposure makes my head hurt. I'm just projecting that onto you. Sorry.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
illy dilly wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:As it involves the law, I'm not surprised.

LOL!

Law is a complicated and specialized sub-set of knowledge and even a little exposure makes my head hurt. I'm just projecting that onto you. Sorry.

No worries, that pretty much hit the nail on the head.
I thought you were making some sort of comment on my obscene lack and disregard for the law. But, I don't actually have an obscene disregard for the law, so I was a little confused.
Either way, the idea of doing research for something that only sorta interests me sounds like hard work.

Boooo Hard work!!!!!!
illy dilly

Return to Introduce Yourself!