Shade Cloth - White 50% Vs. Black 70%

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Shade Cloth - White 50% Vs. Black 70%

Postby monsta2ownzu » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:52 pm

So my camp has IMMEDIATELY begun plans for the expansion of our shade structure ( A pretty bitchin 1V dome with 10' struts ). We are planning to build a second dome and rig shade cloth to make the 3D rendering below come to life. We are trying to decided between buying 70% black shade cloth or 50% white shade cloth. I have heard there is a heat issue when dealing with the black shade cloth. However I'm not sure the 50% is gonna give us enough coverage if we go with the white. Can anyone offer some experience? Thanks a bunch!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When all else fails ... plan for burning man.
monsta2ownzu

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Neighbourhood

Re: Shade Cloth - White 50% Vs. Black 70%

Postby danibel » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:01 pm

I believe there are other options besides white 50% and black 70%.

Our camp has two large pyramids, one has a 80% black and the other is 70% black. Since visibility is important to some members the thicker 80% cloth does not go all the way to the ground.

One of our camp members puts up a 20x20 flat roof shade in front of his trailer. He used 90% green shade cloth.

I find no issues with any of this cloth. It's a nice mesh for the breeze to go through and shades our kitchen and seating area just fine. Perhaps the color matters, I just don't find it to be an issue. I would buy the best coverage I could afford (highest % of coverage).

But that is just me.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:11 pm

When sun hits black, heat is absorbed and then radiated to the shade side, but some of that heat becomes convection and rises through the mesh out of your zone.

Suggest greatest greatest shade percent overrules reflectivity.

For greatest reflectivity, silver, white. You may find that the seaming and grommeting makes the price difference between black, white, Aluminet minimal. Always suggest Gothic Arch Greenhouses as a supplier and place to compare prices. Sometimes there are Craigslist scores.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:35 pm

50% in my experience provides barely noticeable shade. I am a firm believer in buying above 80% shade cloth in the knit variety for any shade structures I make. Some times there are discounts for choosing a color that is not popular. If $ was no object I would go with the highest shade # of aluminet.

One shade I had made I requested a sandwich of shade cloth and a multi color breathable truck tarp material. It's a pretty tough combination and the truck tarp provides a little more shade than the shade cloth by it's self. One way to think outside the box with shade. DPW uses Geotextile Road Fabric for 100% shade on many of their structures but it is securely attached to a frame so is not really applicable to stake and stretch uses. It works damn well though.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Black.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby CornMan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:01 pm

I know this is different than the plans in your picture, but our structure is a combination of peaked black shade mesh and flat silver poly tarps. I think that is the coolest possible combination. The side walls are black shade mesh which turns tan with the dust anyway.

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby gyre » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:03 pm

On the aluminet site, % of material and % of light and heat transmission is not the same, but much higher than the material %.

Black radiates heat more effectively than white or silver and radiates on both sides, so releases heat more effectively.
This is why heat sinks are black.
gyre

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:50 pm

We used Aluminet about 80%...wonderful cool shade to hang out under during hot part of the day.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby CarrieSnarf » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Can I ask a dumb question?
What's with the dog legs coming off your cover. Do you intend for people to sit there? I have a 10 foot 1V dome, everyone sits inside the perimeter. It seems to me you could save yourself some fabric, not loose any real shade and make things a whole lot easier for your seamstress (seamster?) if you just made it even all around and staked it out. Entirely possible that I'm missing something basic though.

I have no comment as to cloth. I used a pink 26' diameter parachute (dubbed the spincter of science) which was barely adequate this year. It was the first year for our dome, so I wasn't mad at it- but it could be better. We are looking in to our own improvements.
thesammiewagon.blogspot.com
CarrieSnarf

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:15 pm

So post a drawing of your own thing if you're so smart.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby gyre » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Black material is best to block light, unless you have a layer of black or metal to block the light in a layer.

The better silver gray tarps do this.
gyre

Postby tamarakay » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:20 pm

In the Dye Shop we had 75% white/blue shade cloth with a parachute underneath (tie dyed of course) and this was spectacular as shade. The area where there was no parachute was noticeably hotter and people would bunch up under the parachute/cloth combination.
On the larger monkey hut over our trailer 1/2 was 70% black and the other half was 90% black. If I had to do it over again I would buy NOTHING except black 90%. It was simply fabulous.

When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby monsta2ownzu » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:51 pm

CarrieSnarf wrote:Can I ask a dumb question?
What's with the dog legs coming off your cover. Do you intend for people to sit there? I have a 10 foot 1V dome, everyone sits inside the perimeter. It seems to me you could save yourself some fabric, not loose any real shade and make things a whole lot easier for your seamstress (seamster?) if you just made it even all around and staked it out. Entirely possible that I'm missing something basic though.

I have no comment as to cloth. I used a pink 26' diameter parachute (dubbed the spincter of science) which was barely adequate this year. It was the first year for our dome, so I wasn't mad at it- but it could be better. We are looking in to our own improvements.

We had the 10' 1 v dome last year, worked great for 5 people but the shaded area moved constantly. Our camp is much bigger this year, hence the second dome and the "dog legs". We have test built this structure in its entirety now and let me tell you, those "dog legs" increase the shaded area by 4 or 5 times easily.
monsta2ownzu

Postby monsta2ownzu » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:52 pm

They do not come all the way to the ground anymore tho, they stop about 4' above it. This baby is beautiful, easy to put up/down, and has TONS of shade.
monsta2ownzu

Return to Shelter & Camping