Cots in Tents, floor protection, etc

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Cots in Tents, floor protection, etc

Postby MacGlenver » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:57 am

Several people have mentioned using cots in tents instead of air mattresses. Good for storage underneath, easier to get out of, etc. I'm interested in making the jump to a cot, but want to be sure I don't damage the floor of my tent.

Would a piece of cardboard taped under each foot be good enough to protect my tent's floor?

Thinking of getting this one, as I'm pretty big (6'3", 230lbs) and may even try to fit myself and my gf on the single cot, but would love any suggestions for models.

http://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-Outfitter-XXL-Cot/dp/B000P6BGYI/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Re: Cots in Tents, floor protection, etc

Postby Noboundaries » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:21 am

Mac, seems like you and me are having a conversation this morning.

http://www.amazon.com/Slumberjack-Tough ... r-mr-title

Above is the link to the cots we used. I'm 270 lbs and this thing is built solid, rated to 350. I checked out the one you are looking at at a local Sportsman's Warehouse and was not impressed. As soon as my wife and I sat on and laid down on the Slumberjack we bought two, and this was after checking out at least five or six heavy duty cots. There was VERY little sway at all any time we were using the Slumberjacks. I reviewed it on Amazon too.

In the past we used little wooden 6"x6" blocks with rounded edges to protect the tent floor, but it was merely a cautionary move. For this year's burn I brought 6"x6" rubber pads cut from an old exercise mat. We ended up not using anything. The footpads on the Slumberjack were wide enough that they did not dig into the playa nor did they do any kind of damage to the floor of our Kelty 6 person tent. The floor of the Kelty is thin but tough. If the floor or your tent is tarplike, you might want to use something. You could easily use folded cardboard if you felt you needed padding.

We covered the cot with a 3" foam pad that cost $20 that perfectly fit the cot. We picked up the foam pads at hardware warehouse last Spring. Wow. Talk about decadent camping comfort. Slept like a log!
You are always smaller than anything that upsets you. Remain calm and solutions with boundless possibility will find your heart.
Noboundaries

Postby Noboundaries » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:25 am

Oh, and two people on one cot? Give it a try but better yet just throw the pads on the tent floor and have at it!
You are always smaller than anything that upsets you. Remain calm and solutions with boundless possibility will find your heart.
Noboundaries

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:37 am

TENNIS BALLS!!!!!

On the feet. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MacGlenver » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:00 am

Noboundaries wrote:Mac, seems like you and me are having a conversation this morning.

Yeah, I guess everyone else is still recovering from the burn :). Thanks for the great advice! Will be using these on my upcoming local burn in Georgia (Alchemy). I have a 6 person REI Camp Dome, which seems nearly identical to your Kelty. Hopefully I can bring these things in my checked luggage for the next Bman, but even if I can't, at least my local burns will be even nicer.

FIG: Will consider tennis balls too, but I need those for the rebar more than anything :).

Thanks guys!
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Postby n1bblerz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi,
I'm new...rubber gym flooring makes a great floor in tent...

G
N1bblerz like the pretzel....dirty minded people...
n1bblerz

Burning Since: 2013

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:06 pm

fo
n1bblerz wrote:Hi,
I'm new...rubber gym flooring makes a great floor in tent...

G

Thx for the suggestion. Would be hard to check as airplane baggage but would work well I bet.
MacGlenver

Postby Phreatic » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Those foam puzzle pieces for kids play areas are cushy goodness. I use the big carpet protectors for the cot too.
untucked
Phreatic

Burning Since: 2010

Return to Shelter & Camping