How clean do you stay on the playa?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

How do you keep clean on the playa?

Au Naturale - nothing related to hygiene the whole week
7%
I only use baby wipes every now and then
44%
I need a shower every day, I can't stand the feeling of playa build up on my skin and hair! Yuck!
39%
Does the water truck count?
10%

Total votes : 100

Re: How clean do you stay on the playa?

Postby mgb327 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:31 am

I took a camping shower enclosure and a solar water bag/container. Took 10 minutes to set up, max. Had a black plastic pan inside as a "basin". Took a shower everyday at around 5 pm. Didn't feel like I needed it, but it felt so nice out there in the heat. As soon as I put one foot outside of the "tent/enclosure", after the shower, I was immediatley covered in dust again. I will do the same this year. I love the dust patina, and never got to stinking at all. Wierd things was....my hair is always a natural brown. It went completely grey at day 3 and stayed that way for at least a week after I got home....really odd. I took a lot of wipes, but ended up giving them away. I think the shower once a day is worth it, at least to me. Not so hard a burden to set up and take down, only extra weight might be the additional 10 gallons of water we used for the week.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby Boijoy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:56 pm

babywipes & garden sprayers . yes! I like to baby wipe when I get up & before I go to bed. I wash my feet before getting into my sleeping bag & usually just wear something over my hair. I shower every other day. & I used deodorant rather than anti-persperant because it washes off easily.
Mostly Im a clean freak re: my hands & wash them ALL the time.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby bohemianish » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:57 pm

I cleaned my feet twice a day. First a wet wipe, then a vinegar-soaked kerchief. Felt really good to slip clean feet into socks.

Wet wipes for my body each morning before putting on sunscreen.

Got my hair washed by a lovely camp on Wednesday.

That was it.
bohemianish

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Candybox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:11 pm

OMG. Showers this year.

In my previous years, I was good running around with baby wipes and probably borrowing a solar shower to shampoo my hair towards the end of the week. My hair starts turning into one giant dread after a few days, but oh well.

This year we arrived 5 days early entry, and spent all of those on the open playa getting exposed to the most constant of dust-storms. My hair was a giant, dread-y mess before Burning Man even started, and after awhile my fondest wish was simply to wash my hair.

Finally on the first Monday, I couldn't take it anymore—asking around for showers, waiting for camps to set theirs up, finding break time to do it. I ran into the catacombs of Anubis (the innards / basement of the structure) with a cup, a jug of water, and a bottle of Pert Plus and started cup washing my hair right then and there on top of the DG because it was all getting burnt anyways.
Candybox

Burning Since: 2010

Postby 666isMONEY » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:58 am

I brought 6-gallons of water for bathing, I'd pour about a 3/4-gallon for the bath (in a dishpan) and 1/4-gallon for the rinse. First, wash face, second hair, add cream-rinse to hair and wash self, dump water around the entrance to the minivan (dried in an hour and left interesting patterns on the Playa), rinse hair in the 1/4-gallon and use the 1/4-gallon for wetting my wrap-dress to cool-off during the afternoon and to wash feet after walking on the Playa. If the water truck came by (it happened only once when I was there) I could save the 3/4-gallon and just do my hair or skip a day.
666isMONEY

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man