Feathers?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Feathers?

Postby Ano » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:12 pm

I'm sitting here, back at home now, and I just got around to throwing out my MOOP mags.

I have a garbage bag literally full of feathers, and another three loose MOOP bags from my daily driving that have five or six feathers each. Starting on Thursday, I started seeing an abundance of feathered costumes and those indian headdress things.

Starting next year, I'm going to carry a megaphone around on me for the sole purpose of shaming and harassing those with feathers. Is there a reason why people think their feathers are so goddamn special that they won't MOOP? Fucking hell, man.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Re: Feathers?

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:16 pm

Seriously. I could NOT BELIEVE how many I saw.. and in some places/cases more than others. Completely unreal.

Worst hotspot: The DISTRIKT daytime parties with the throngs of frat girls/boys striving to see and be seen. I saw this girl with a full on indian headdress that went down to the fucking ground.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby maladroit » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 pm

I never actually went over to Distrikt despite being within sight (and sharing their porta-potties...ouch). But there was definitely a nonstop train of feathers up and down our street.

The part that hurts is that you know they had to look a Gate person in the eye and say "No, I don't have any feathers." Break that level of trust so blatantly, for a rather trite and boring fashion statement, and you've really identified yourself as a shallow and untrustworthy person.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Candybox » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Not to mention those fake Indian headdresses are pretty fucking offensive, and anyone who's read the survival guide knows feathers are banned on-playa. Do they have any idea how much of a douche-canoe they look walking around with those giant MOOP magnets?
Candybox

Burning Since: 2010

Postby captain mcguiver » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Yes. Feathers.

We pulled off any feather type thing from whatever we brought. Some chinese blinky things included some badly glued on little feathers that were moop IRL let alone the Playa, so we canned those before we came out. Funny, some of our campmates brought tons of feathers. Odd. I mean, they looked rather sturdy compared to anything I've seen, but... Is there a better type of feather that might be ok? And yeah- so much for the Gate on this one. I wasn't even asked about specific contraband at the gate. Searches are pretty cursory as well, I mean a headdress in a trash bag would have still passed with my search.

I actually almost brought in a few small ziplocs containing feathers, sequins, real grass, etc. as part of a performance art... "Psst.. Hey man, wanna by some contraband?" and show him a jacket of choices...

Is this a lack of education issue? I met people who didn't even read the survival guide. Other noobie friends did great and soaked up all the info.

Some people.

Maybe we need a poll tax at the gate. Or a multiple choice test.
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby RedHeaven » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Wearing feathers blatantly says "I care more about the way I look than the genuine rules of this city"
Even if the feathers are secure....it just says the wrong thing.

My buddy worked for hours at home on a pair of puffy paint pants, but once he realized they mooped he put the damn things away. Its that simple.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby danibel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:22 pm

The night before I left my sweet daughter with a glint in her eye said "Mom, I have a gift for you to take to Burning Man. My friend made it special for you! I can't wait for you to see it!" She was so excited. She handed me a paper bag and I gently took it and opened it. Inside was a beautiful purple and black ear loop with amazing feathers and a little chain with more feathers that hung down near my neck. She paid hard earned dollars for this and picked the colors to match my outfit for burn night. I sadly had to tell her - "Sorry sweetie! I can't take feathers." :cry: "I love this little gift you got me, it's very sweet, but feathers are not allowed and very moopy. I'll proudly wear it at Country Fair! Promise!"

Temple burn night a young man sitting next to us had a feather head dress in his hand. He wasn't wearing it but it was so large it was hard to miss. I said out loud "Wow! Big feathers." He looked sideways at me and didn't say anything. I am not sure if he was heckled into taking them off or if he wasn't wearing them because they would block the view of the people behind him. Either way, it's not cool to bring feathers.

I picked up boa type feathers all week. I see people selling feathered clothing and hats advertising "FOR BURNING MAN!" Argh.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Homiesinheaven » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:32 pm

so, is this overdoing it just a tad?

Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby danibel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Homiesinheaven wrote:so, is this overdoing it just a tad?

The next Krug?
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby Homiesinheaven » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:44 pm

it's from the Rolling Stone spread shot by the awesome Scott London. also this from my second favorite playa photog, John Curley:

so i guess that's two rules that not everyone (ahem DPW) has to follow.
Homiesinheaven

Postby Ratty » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:43 pm

I dunno why I needed this shot. It was one of many out at the fence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:02 pm

danibel wrote:

The next Krug?

Edit: She's received a good deal of hate mail at this point and I'm hoping has gotten the point. If you really want to find her and tell her what you think, it's out there.

Hell, I did with the quickness. I'm the "heated email" in question. Would you all expect less? :lol:

But.. I think the point has been made judging from her comments on the RS page.. and bravo for that.
junglesmacks

Postby skippy3k » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:08 am

I went out there with a bag of pink fiberglass insulation. Yep. I accidentally left it in our trailer in a black garbage bag. During the search, the guy opened up the compartment, pushed on the garbage bag, saw it was squishy and didn't even inquire about it and closed the compartment.

I felt so worried and paranoid about the fiberglass insulation that whole week, I felt like I was spending a whole week out there with a garbage bag of cocaine in my trailer. I almost wanted to surrender it the authorities and throw myself on the mercy of the court. Instead, I just tossed it along the road on my way out of BRC with the other trash. (Kidding....)
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Postby AntiM » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:16 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
danibel wrote:

The next Krug?

Edit: She's received a good deal of hate mail at this point and I'm hoping has gotten the point. If you really want to find her and tell her what you think, it's out there.

Hell, I did with the quickness. I'm the "heated email" in question. Would you all expect less? :lol:

But.. I think the point has been made judging from her comments on the RS page.. and bravo for that.

Even if not in the context of the playa I would find that outfit creepy and unattractive. Looks like an albatross to me.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Homiesinheaven » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:31 pm

AntiM wrote:Even if not in the context of the playa I would find that outfit creepy and unattractive. Looks like an albatross to me.

and that's coming from someone who welcomes "bad art," ouch!
Homiesinheaven

Postby pink » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:32 am

Ano wrote:I'm sitting here, back at home now, and I just got around to throwing out my MOOP mags.

I have a garbage bag literally full of feathers, and another three loose MOOP bags from my daily driving that have five or six feathers each. Starting on Thursday, I started seeing an abundance of feathered costumes and those indian headdress things.

Starting next year, I'm going to carry a megaphone around on me for the sole purpose of shaming and harassing those with feathers. Is there a reason why people think their feathers are so goddamn special that they won't MOOP? Fucking hell, man.

I definitely want to start a MOOP Nazi brigade next year. I didn't get any replies to the thread for this burn. And I didn't have a megaphone or the funds for one. Feathers and hoverers are my biggest peeves. So let's start organizing now!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:45 am

And follow Ms. Feathers around for an hour just saying "You dropped something!" making sure she stops each time and picks up her MOOP. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby peyote2004 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:44 pm

That's really beautiful, but unbelievably inappropriate fo the playa. I'm astounded :shock: that anyone would wear that moopy thing there.
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:31 pm

pink wrote:
Ano wrote:I'm sitting here, back at home now, and I just got around to throwing out my MOOP mags.

I definitely want to start a MOOP Nazi brigade next year. I didn't get any replies to the thread for this burn. And I didn't have a megaphone or the funds for one. Feathers and hoverers are my biggest peeves. So let's start organizing now!

The MOOP czar didn't make it to the playa this year. I don't know what our chances of having him next year. (Face it, he may not know.) I've been wondering if I should have a 1.5 hour mooping thing next year in the WhatWhereWhen.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby shykat » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:48 pm

We were camped by the 9 and g corner me and.my friend would not let a person wearing feathers go by w/o a relentless bashing from the mega phone. I would follow them into dristk , until I got bored or scared them away.....
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby Bexx » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Coming home and seeing that above photo.. Of feather girl, and others really fucking chap my hide. There's one of her spreading her wings in the temple. I'm all nice honey.. Who's a pretty bird? Thanks for mooping.

I picked up dozens of feathers here and there.. Grrrr
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby danibel » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:50 am

So last night my boyfriend is going through the second half of his pictures and comes across a video of this bird woman at the temple on Sunday morning. I didn't see her there or else I think I would have said something, probably nasty. It's a short vid and no feathers fall that I can see. I was just kind of stunned that he caught some of a dance.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Say It With Feathers

Postby Janet Planet » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:39 am

It's a fine balance between calling out the feather folks and getting so obsessed with it that it taints yr burn.
I have an idea for a feather education project, called Say It With Feathers.
I'll make up Hallmark style cards that I'll tape in my local portapots at the beginning of the week (and take out at the end). They'll say Say It With Feathers, followed by all the things that feathers shout out loud and clear.
I'm going to start a thread to crowd source lines, please pitch in!
Janet Planet

Camp Name: Grandma Frum's Painful Candy

Postby Janet Planet » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:47 am

captain mcguiver wrote:
I actually almost brought in a few small ziplocs containing feathers, sequins, real grass, etc. as part of a performance art... "Psst.. Hey man, wanna by some contraband?" and show him a jacket of choices...
Maybe we need a poll tax at the gate. Or a multiple choice test.

Brilliant! Do it next year.
Janet Planet

Postby Janet Planet » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:52 am

Here's the link to Say It With Feathers:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=279&t=62156
Janet Planet

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:54 pm

You know, the more people bitch and tell me I can't do something, the more likely I am to do it.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:04 pm

jkisha wrote:You know, the more people bitch and tell me I can't do something, the more likely I am to do it.

So can we be expecting you to defecate on the playa next year?
junglesmacks

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:58 pm

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:10 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
jkisha wrote:You know, the more people bitch and tell me I can't do something, the more likely I am to do it.

So can we be expecting you to defecate on the playa next year?

Ewe! :shock: No. I was thinking more about making an appearance in a long flowing cape made of beautiful feathers with two young guys holding the train and four other young boys walking behind picking up any MOOP that might happen to fall.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby RedHeaven » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:18 pm

So rebellious and punk rock! :mrgreen:
RedHeaven

Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear