Water thread

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Water thread

Postby Theraplst » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:44 pm

What is your water plan?

I plan on buying today (4) 5 gallon water jugs for our 3 person camp, as well as filling all of our smaller containers prior to going. 2 of us are only staying 5 days and the other is staying the whole time. the burningman water section says you'll need 1-3 gallons per day per person but I can't imagine myself drinking that much water. I'll also be going to a drug store and getting some electrolyte suppliments. I should note idgaf about bathing, I've gone weeks without a shower and I manage to keep a good smell somehow.

So, what will you be bringing in the way of per person/per day? our rati is 1.17 gallons/pppd, not counting other containers we'll be filling prior (which may turn out to be a substantial amount).
They call me simba
Theraplst

Re: Water thread

Postby Elliot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:19 pm

Methinks you should expect to do more washing of your dust-clogged skin. Or bring a ton of... what is it?... baby wipes, I think. The dust is like talcum powder, but alkaline. And you will need to drink much more water than you seem to expect. If you have plenty of water left at the end of the week, give each other "jug showers" in the sun -- there is nothing like it.

I like Gatorade for electrolytes.

A little vinegar in the wash water neutralizes the alkaline dust. You'll want to do that a couple of times a day with your feet.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:09 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Ano » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm using a few 7-gallon aquatainers for myself and my girlfriend. Weigh about 60 pounds when full, but seem sturdy enough. A little worried they might leak around the spigot, but that's nothing a large amount of tape and some tipping can't fix... right?
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby captain mcguiver » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Theraplst wrote: I should note idgaf about bathing, I've gone weeks without a shower and I manage to keep a good smell somehow..

...That's what YOU think. :)

I'm bringing a 55 gallon barrel for me and my GF. Granted, I have a swamp cooler as well.
All I know is every year I bring back or donate half my water. I hear this year will be really dusty though. Might need more.
captain mcguiver

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby Theraplst » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:06 am

FIGJAM wrote:Image

That was my original plan actually, but budget constraints didnt allow it.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby danibel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:53 pm

My boyfriend and I pick up our water at the Save-Mart on Keystone in Reno. We buy eight (or so) 2.5 gallon "suitcases" for shower water and washing dishes, ect. Then we get eight to ten single gallons with twist lids so that in the event we have grey water left at the end of the burn we can funnel it back into the empty gallons.

I drink about a gallon of water a day on the playa. Sometimes more if I drank a lot of booze the night before. Last year we had about 5 gallons left over at the end and gave them to some campmates that were leaving the next day. I use my melted cooler water for foot baths. And we freeze five one gallon water bottles (perfect for replacing ice!) before we leave and drink them as the melt.

We always have extra water at the end, and that is OK. I would much rather have too much than not enough.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Theraplst » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:12 am

Update from op:

as is right now we're a ways over what I expected to get. 5 gallon aquafina bottle, (4) 5 gallon party rental food grade containers, 2 gallon water jug, (5) 1 gallon jugs, plus misc water bottles.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:50 pm

We bought 24 gallons of water for 5 of us. We brought home 11 gallons. We each hydrated plenty discovering that there's water in fruit juices, milk, electrolyte drinks, beer/coffee/tea (albeit slightly diuretic)...and then there were the offerings from others...

Each person should bring what they feel is necessary...nothing wrong with having too much water on the playa.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby incubus_pantomime » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:49 pm

As newbies, we were careful to drink water constantly. We picked up 30 gallons of water in Reno on Sunday, all in the 2.5 gallon "suitcase" containers. When we left the next Sunday morning from the playa, we only had one 2.5 gallon jug left. We all took two quick showers during the week, but we were all able to get washed from one fully-filled sun shower bag. The rest went right into our Camelbaks. Our water was in the shade, which helped keep it quite cool. We also took all ice bought from Arctica and placed it into gallon freezer baggies before we put them in our cooler, and poured off the slushy ice water into our Camelbaks as a treat every other day. The only other stuff we drank was the occasional Gatorade when we thought we needed it, and a couple drinks from the Lamplighters bar each day when we attended the theme party of the day.
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Postby Noboundaries » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:38 am

There were two of us in our camp on the playa this year. We took our water in 5 gallon mylar bags purchased from Emergency Essentials fro $3.50 each. They are TOUGH bags with a very convenient spout. They actually hold more than 5 gallons, but we loaded each bag with exactly 5 gallons, then put the filled bag in a 5 gallon orange Home Depot bucket with a lid for protection ($3.50). Once empty, the buckets serves as a trash can or for hauling unevaporated grey water off the playa. Total investment about $7 per 5 gallons. Next time to the playa we just clean the bag and fill with tap water.

We were on the playa for 5 days. Drank 10 gallons of water, about 2 gallons of coconut water made from a powder, and a gallon of protein water. We took a shower every day using 2.5 gallons of water each time, so another 12.5 gallons of total shower water, but at least half the shower water was melt water from our coolers. We'd drain the coolers into the shower bag in the morning and it would warm to ambient by the time we were ready to shower in the evening. I'd use about a half gallon or so and my wife would use the rest. After 32 years of marriage I've learned some arguments just aren't worth having. I let her shower first one day. Big mistake.

We used a little less than 2.5 gallons for dishwashing/rinsing, and body wipes during the day. Total use was just under 28 gallons of water for five days and it felt rather decadent actually.
You are always smaller than anything that upsets you. Remain calm and solutions with boundless possibility will find your heart.
Noboundaries

Postby JesseGrrl2009 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Noboundaries wrote:There were two of us in our camp on the playa this year. We took our water in 5 gallon mylar bags purchased from Emergency Essentials fro $3.50 each. They are TOUGH bags with a very convenient spout. They actually hold more than 5 gallons, but we loaded each bag with exactly 5 gallons, then put the filled bag in a 5 gallon orange Home Depot bucket with a lid for protection ($3.50). Once empty, the buckets serves as a trash can or for hauling unevaporated grey water off the playa. Total investment about $7 per 5 gallons. Next time to the playa we just clean the bag and fill with tap water.

These were exactly what i was looking for! So glad I found this post, these look easy to transport, plus you can't beat the price! Already thinking of a way to mount them in a reusable sling :D
**EDIT** I found these on BePrepared.com
"Now go make art, eat, drink, learn, discuss, study, read, absorb art daily. You are an artist. The commercially make a living part comes later, if ever, but never doubt: you ARE an Artist." - AntiM

)'( 2013 )'(
JesseGrrl2009

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:43 pm

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby 9ah » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:48 am

11 gallons for myself, I was there for about a dozen days. I took two quick showers that didn't use more than a gallon of water each time. Juices are nice to mix in during the week. :coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Return to Food & Drink