Quiet at the Temple burn?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Quiet at the Temple burn?

Postby danibel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:35 am

So after last year I had hoped for a peaceful temple burn, but I got a mixed bag. I was seated to the right of the choir about 6 rows back. The howling at the full moon didn't bother me, but the group of 5 people standing behind a tripod getting screamed at to sit down, did. After a few yelps and boos you would think people would have gotten the message that those asshats were not going to sit down or move back to give others a better view. The choir song before the burn quieted down the crowd around me quite a bit, and I was grateful.

The freebird did not bother me too much, as I figured it was intentional and a tribute. No one wold be so rude as to play a song that loud during the temple burn on purpose? Right?

Should the greeters tell the newbies that the temple burn is considered a "quiet" event? Should it be a quiet event? Is is disrespectful to ask others to shush? I don't expect it to be completely silent, and if anyone is bothered by nearby noise they can get up and find another spot. I saw many sharpied messages in the portos to "shut the fuck up at the temple burn." Did this actually encourage people to howl and talk?
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Re: Quiet at the Temple burn?

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:06 pm

It seems to be the same.. thing.. every.. year. People yell at others to sit down and be quiet.. then people shoosh the people telling people to sit down and be quiet. Rinse and repeat.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lemur » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:07 pm

shut up hippie.

put in some ear plugs and wear some ear muffs if ya want quiet.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby goathead » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:18 pm

danibel wrote:
The freebird did not bother me too much, as I figured it was intentional and a tribute.

Freebird, played by DPW to see if they could get coyote, to run screaming into the fire.
:twisted:
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Fuck them!

I requested "Whipping Post"!!!!!!!!!!!! :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:17 pm

goathead wrote:
danibel wrote:
The freebird did not bother me too much, as I figured it was intentional and a tribute.

Freebird, played by DPW to see if they could get coyote, to run screaming into the fire.
:twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was that seriously a DPW event?

I loved it.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lucky420 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:02 pm

I liked the freebird too...

okay i admitted it, you can all throw tomatoes at me now
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Good luck getting anyone to agree to any rules.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby RedHeaven » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:28 pm

I thought the real orchestral chorus piano version of Ava maria lifted the vibe so high that all hecklers and freebirds vanished from my consciousness. It was soooooo beautiful and I hope others felt that magic, too. Pre recorded music is just too dull for these moments but live real stuff with the right sound was just an amazing gift. My friend I was with was getting too mad at the hecklers she almost killed my vibe more than the hecklers did. Focus on the good stuff and if someone is bothering you then tune it out or get closer!

Its still really quiet for that many people! LOVED IT and was silent the whole time, with Ava Maria in my heart, thanks Burners who performed that so well!!!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Nipple » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Mark Corrigan wrote:Well, listen, I'm sorry if I didn't do it right and I'm sorry if you assume that I eat red meat and don't necessarily think money or Tony Blair are a bad thing, but if there isn't room here for people who stand against everything you believe in, then what sort of a hippy free-for-all is this?
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:20 pm

Nipple wrote:
Mark Corrigan wrote:Well, listen, I'm sorry if I didn't do it right and I'm sorry if you assume that I eat red meat and don't necessarily think money or Tony Blair are a bad thing, but if there isn't room here for people who stand against everything you believe in, then what sort of a hippy free-for-all is this?

*like*
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby maryanimal » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:56 pm

After a few "shut the fuck up"'s and a "shut up bitch" to a young girl from a guy 2 rows behind me. It got pretty quiet.The singer and choir was magnificent. It was a great temple burn. No one can ruin your burn regardless of which one it was, unless you let them.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:46 am

It would be a very interesting tradition if all amplified sound in the city was turned off for the temple burn. It would be a reminder throughout the city of the moment, really just an hour or two.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Schtev » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:06 am

The freebird did not bother me too much, as I figured it was intentional and a tribute. No one wold be so rude as to play a song that loud during the temple burn on purpose? Right?

I kinda liked it. Sort of enhanced the feeling.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Postby maladroit » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:11 am

some seeing eye wrote:It would be a very interesting tradition if all amplified sound in the city was turned off for the temple burn. It would be a reminder throughout the city of the moment, really just an hour or two.

That was, pretty much, how it seemed to me. Very few parties, almost no music that I could hear, and most of the art and art cars on playa were minimal or subdued lighting. I know when we set up the lighting at Zonotopia that night it was a conscious decision to only mark the stacks of dismantled plywood for safety, then turn the rest of the lights on after the temple burn.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby caliban » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:06 pm

some seeing eye wrote:It would be a very interesting tradition if all amplified sound in the city was turned off for the temple burn. It would be a reminder throughout the city of the moment, really just an hour or two.

mmmm, EMP bomb...
caliban

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 pm

For the love of Dog put this thread in a 2012 rustbucket.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Foxfur » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:53 pm

caliban wrote:

mmmm, EMP bomb...

Looks like I just found my project for next year...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Lonesomebri » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:50 am

Quiet? Okay, but when they ask me to sit down......

MY GOD IS A STANDING GOD !
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby lazerfox » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:45 am

were we the only ones who did not hear a choir sing?

Overall my section got very quiet and the burn was amazing...but honestly why are tall folks wanting to be in the front just to stand up?? Move your ass back or sit your ass down so us short people who are actually trying to share the experience with others and are sitting can have at least a glance at the Temple. You standing-tall-self-righteous fucks are not more important than everyone who is sitting.
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 am

lazerfox wrote:were we the only ones who did not hear a choir sing?

Overall my section got very quiet and the burn was amazing...but honestly why are tall folks wanting to be in the front just to stand up?? Move your ass back or sit your ass down so us short people who are actually trying to share the experience with others and are sitting can have at least a glance at the Temple. You standing-tall-self-righteous fucks are not more important than everyone who is sitting.

wrist rocket and marbles.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jerroc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:18 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:Quiet? Okay, but when they ask me to sit down......

MY GOD IS A STANDING GOD !

Stand all you want I just hope you are considerate enough to not block anyone's view. I do what I can to be sure my actions do not effect other people's experience. Who ever played free bird was inconsiderate. I plan to bring my ear buds to avoid this if it happens next year. As far as big sound camps I say let them play but ask they turn it down some. There are some that would rather be at a sound camp than at the temple burn. its not right to restrict their experience so we can have ours at the temple.
jerroc

Postby Lonesomebri » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Got it. Standing is not really enjoying the Burn with others. Standing is the one freedom that trumps Chinese lanterns in offensiveness. Huge mutant vehicles and those sky cranes are okay because those folks must be important. No complaints. Besides, huge metal blocking views is okay compared to flesh and blood. Standing peons are the problem. But if I happen to arrive early, stand with a group of others and someone shows up late, sits behind me on a law chair, and demands my crippled friend and I to sit on the ground, well, we'd better be considerate of others and respect their rights and do just as they want from us.....otherwise WE would be self-righteous control freaks trying to control other people's burn. Got it. But do I believe it?

Considerate of others, as long as they make my life better......sure, just like everyone.
Lonesomebri

Postby jerroc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Show up early, claim you are crippled, Point fingers at others that are being more inconsiderate than you is no excuse for being an asshole. When most people who are sitting are asking you to sit I would take rewiew as who is being self righteous.
jerroc

Postby Lonesomebri » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:10 pm

jerroc wrote:Show up early, claim you are crippled, Point fingers at others that are being more inconsiderate than you is no excuse for being an asshole. When most people who are sitting are asking you to sit I would take rewiew as who is being self righteous.

We sat until my buddy couldn't take it, then we moved back. Yeah, so inconsiderate and self-righteous of us assholes. Most people weren't telling anyone to do anything....just the whinners and control freaks...... Continue on........

'Cause I'm as free as a bird now
And this bird you can not change.
Lonesomebri

Postby unjonharley » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:36 pm

I'll up you all one..

No more FUCKING TEMPLE BURNS...

Now shut the fuck up and sit down or stand up if your already sitting..
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:24 pm

And this, oh best beloved, is why I don't go to the burns. I have nice time watching from Esplanade.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby jerroc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:06 pm

No need to continue. I Can't argue with stupid.
jerroc

Postby Lonesomebri » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:29 pm

jerroc wrote:No need to continue. I Can't argue with stupid.

Between dictating how others live, and calling strangers stupid, you really appear to be a kind considerate community based spirit.
When the control freaks demanded I sit, i complied, but joke about it, and even that is too much for them to handle......
Lonesomebri

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
jerroc wrote:No need to continue. I Can't argue with stupid.

Between dictating how others live, and calling strangers stupid, you really appear to be a kind considerate community based spirit.
When the control freaks demanded I sit, i complied, but joke about it, and even that is too much for them to handle......

That's okay, you can imagine how I would have torn into him if he'd told me to get down. And once again, that's why I don't go to burns....
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man