EXODUS, when did u leave. How long did it take 2 the road?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Re: EXODUS, when did u leave. How long did it take 2 the roa

Postby AbundantChoice » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 am

Left at 3AM Sunday Night / Monday Morning, and from camp to road was about 3.5 hours. Nothing too bad at all.
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.
AbundantChoice

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:23 am

Left Tuesday morning (post-event, duh) around 8:10am - essentially no traffic. I was on pavement in about 40-50 minutes because I tried to stick to 5 mph. Passed one totally wrecked RV on the road about 20 minutes past the playa entrance but smooth sailing otherwise.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Snow » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:41 pm

left camp at around 2PM on monday. No waiting really at all to get to pavement (was this a dream????). Had quite a wait to get to Gerlach and my secret portal road, no waiting on there of course. But 80 over donner pass was a nightmare (not really due to burner traffic though). Funny quote from a non-burner in traffic "where are all these dirty bikes coming from?"
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Freedom37 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:15 pm

left around 9pm Mon night (was also surprised by the large numbers of people chilling/camping/partying obviously staying til Tuesday & beyond). NO STOPPING, took us around 45 min to the pavement, though had to deal with plenty of douches hauling at 20mph thru the bumps & dust out to the pavement.

I think some folks forget that the gate was CLOSED for a solid 3 hours on Monday's exodus due to an accident on the road into Gerlach in 2011 which created a heavy backup that whole day & night. Maybe next year everyone will again try to leave Monday and it will suck again, though. Tons of trash on the road.
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Freedom37

Burning Since: 2011

Postby clocksnmirrors » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:56 am

left sunday evening
got rolling just as the last of the setting sun was disappearing just after 7:15.
got to the main road around 10:30

came to dead stops at the 30-45 zone. i have to say i was happy for it. at least it stopped those douchebags who were plowing up clouds of dust driving 25 mph

total exodus was about 3 hours 15 min
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Ice » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:22 pm

AntiM wrote:All day Monday the radio told us there was no wait. No way to pack our camp fast enough, so we left Tuesday. Straight out, very bumpy, very dusty. Many asshats hauling ass, which was not needed. Saw one wreck on 447, and trash, so much trash....

What radio station were you listening to? BMIR or Gate Radio (GARS) 95.1?
Ice

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Gate

Postby waynerd » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:06 pm

It was my virgin burn. There was no way I was missing the man burn or the temple burn. Both were amazing and meant so much to me (especially after meeting and having a wonderfully emotional chat with David Best).

I left Monday morning at 10am. No stopping, no pulsing, hit the pavement by 11. Was extremely sad when I got too far away to pick up BMIR anymore, I knew then that it was in fact, over.
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!
waynerd

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Come Again

Postby illy dilly » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:11 pm

We left camp Monday Morning at about 7:30ish, got to pavement about 9:15ish.

There was way TOOOOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCHH trash on 447! Fucking ridiculous!

Oddly this year, 95% of the porta potties I went into were pretty clean, but all the trash on 447 made up for it!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby illy dilly » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:16 pm

captain mcguiver wrote:Leave later, not earlier. The worst case scenario is a little wait. Get a hotel in Reno or Fernley and have some rest before your drive. Leaving 24 or 48 hours early of burning man is just wasting your experience. You paid and prepped to get out here, why not enjoy 2 more days of whatever...? Never understand the early leavers...

Easy for someone from San Diego to say.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:56 pm

4ish Tuesday. For some reason we were directed to a playa entrance north of the entrance. When I drove by the sign at the entrance there were people exiting there. Whatever.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Previous

Return to 2012 Share Resources