The Pier 2

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: The Pier 2

Postby JovReef » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:33 pm

WOW
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. - Sir Winston Churchill
JovReef

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Coon and Friends

Postby peyote2004 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:49 pm

Just saw THE PIER 2 on the live stream ... it looks AWESOME :shock: :D :D :D

I wish I could be there to experience it in person.
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:11 pm

You had to go inside the galleon to comprehend it. Details all the way down to the writing in the ship's log. If not the most awesome art I've seen on the playa, close to it!

We watched the crew put a woman in the stockade and flog her for stealing their rum before, of course, releasing her and giving her the rum. During the floggings, a soft, pretty voice next to me said, "I'LL steal the rum!"

I wish they could just leave it there for all time... No trace of anything, just a giant shipwreck, larger than life, emerging from the lakebed. Congratulations to the artists and builders... That was just fucking awesome!
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:13 pm

I thought they were going to burn it, but then saw them dismantleing it on monday.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby VultureChow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:16 pm

My understanding was they were keeping the ship, but burning the pier on Tuesday.

Wow. This is weird jumping back into the forum.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby strangeloop » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:22 pm

I talked to the artist during the week... AWESOME guy. He said he's trying to sell the ship as an installation. Not sure about the pier.
strangeloop

Postby gibson_ » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:55 pm

One of my campmates and I crawled down to the bottom part (on the actual playa) and shouted at people to PLEASE NOT TOUCH THE ART!
gibson_

Postby nilasnake » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:06 pm

the ship has tentatively been approached for 'purchase' for a sight near reno/fernley.
the pier was to be dismantled and burned on the man fire.
yes, it was exquisite! thank you matt schultz for your vision and leadership. the crew kicked ass.
nilasnake

Postby lucky420 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:59 pm

nilasnake

the ship has tentatively been approached for 'purchase' for a sight near reno/fernley.

sweet! hope this happens
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 am

Beautiful work! My favorite daytime hangout. I loved the attention to detail, like the handwritten journal inside the ship. Bravo!
~tzlf
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby danibel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:44 am

One of my most favorite installations this year... So fucking awesome. One of the things I loved best about it was the difference between day and night. Watching the moonset from the "bow" Saturday morning was a highlight of my burn. I watched some of the dismantling Monday night. I was actually really happy that they didn't burn it. A joy to hear it may be purchased and installed somewhere for more to enjoy. Kudos to the designers and workers. Thank you so much for creating such an amazing piece that brought so many smiles and wide eyes to the attention of detail. You really outdid yourself. Really.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby peyote2004 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:31 pm

I didn't go to BM, but I saw Pier 2 on UStream. It looked amazing. I would love to see more pictures of it.
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby skibear » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:12 pm

I loved Pier I last year & saw Pier II only on u-stream this year. Kudo's, you guys outdid yourselves!
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Postby Foxfur » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:00 am

Wowowowow! The Pier was amaaazing!
The realism of the interior of the shipwreck was stunning. I sat and read aloud from the captain's log to an audience of a dozen or more explorers in the galley after which I returned it to the captain's stateroom.
I was greatly impressed that the decorative articles remained unmolested and did not leave the ship (AFAIK).
This speaks volumes about who burners really are. Perhaps some did make it off but I have faith that many attempts were thwarted by burners who may have noticed an attempted liberation and intervened in a spontaneous act of education.

I'm so happy for burners like the Pier crew that believe in bringing huge ideas to fruition and share them with all of us.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby melodiousdirge » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Resurrecting an old thread - I had a question about the lighting effect that was used at night. Does anyone know how it was done? I was trying to figure it out while I was out there and my best guess was a party effects type projector mounted up on the mast. Those things are quite inexpensive (the really basic ones, anyway) and I was looking at taking a similar idea in a different direction this year. I didn't want to buy a bunch of crappy projectors though if they were not going to get the job done.
More ideas than time.
melodiousdirge

Camp Name: Bakka Sevin: 30

Postby trilobyte » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Many effects projectors/lasers come in a few different strengths. The gift shop versions (spencer gift, sharper image, etc) are inexpensive (under $200), and don't generally get the job done. They're great for in a bedroom or basement, but don't work well for larger areas.

One that comes to mind is a starfield generator laser system, which I worked with in a project a few years back. Does a blue-ish spacey cloud projection as well as a green laser starfield effect. The one we needed for installation in a club cost just under $2500 - pricey, but was money well spent on that project. The gift shop version was selling online for around $180 - while it boasted the same features it was nowhere near the same power, and was pretty much ineffective beyond 6-8 feet. There was also a big difference in the housing - the gift shop model was cheap plastic, where the higher end pro model was steel and had a cooling fan.

Hopefully either fbcota or one of the other Pier 2 crew can get back to you (in the thread or via PM) with the specifics of what they used. But in the meantime, play around with Google searches to find a laser or projector that you like, it shouldn't take long to spot places that sell professional lighting gear.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby melodiousdirge » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks for the info Trilo, yes hopefully they do reply. The ones I did find are considerably cheaper even than that, but I don't know how visible they would be at night, even if I bought a bunch of them. I might get one and see how it works on the snow here... might be a reasonable comparison to playa at night.
More ideas than time.
melodiousdirge

Camp Name: Bakka Sevin: 30

Postby trilobyte » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Pricing will depend on what it does - that starfield generator I cited as an example had both a traditional light projection plus laser system. It's not what they were using, but was something that popped into my head as an example as a big difference between consumer and pro versions of an effect.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Previous

Return to 2012 Art & Performance