RVs

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

RVs

Postby spanglecat » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:47 am

After years of waiting, I'm finally going to my first burn next year. As we're coming from the UK, I was hoping to get some advice about RVs please.

Where's the best place to hire one from (and similarly, to drive to BRC from), what are the pitfalls of having one (and are they outweighed by the benefits?), and what's great about having them that I might not already know?

Thanks!
spanglecat

Burning Since: 2013

Re: RVs

Postby Ano » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Reserve it now. Right now. Don't cancel it when you inevitably don't get a ticket. Don't be a dick and run your genny all day. Don't be unsocial. Offer to use it as a windblock/shade for neighbors. Offer it's amenities to neighbors. Be prepared to spend 5+ hours cleaning it once you leave BRC. Don't be a douche and return it dirty to the rental agency, your actions reflect on every single burner. Be prepared to pay a lot of money for one.

RVs suck, in my opinion, except if I could afford one, then they are the preferred way of camping.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby skippy3k » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:49 pm

That is a pretty good list. I cannot stress enough how dusty it will get, and how hard it is to clean the dust out. I'm assuming you've never been to the Black Rock area, but the dust is like no other. It just sticks to everything....seemingly forever.

I will add the following; plan to use the porta-potties almost all the time otherwise you will fill up your black water tanks within days. Waiting all day for an RV service truck to maybe come down your street while everyone else is out having fun sometimes sucks. Resist the urge to hang out inside the RV, otherwise you will miss out on something. (Primarily, the whole Burning Man experience.) Park it in such a way you can get out when you want. Communicate with your neighbors as to when you plan on leaving so they don't box you in. They could all be sleeping off their night at Center Camp the day you decide you want to leave. Do not use the awning. Repeat...do not use the awning. Build your own shade structure that is actually wind resistant.

Unless you run the AC all day (which I refuse to ever turn on), the only advantage of an RV is;

a) Easier cooking and food storage
b) Shelter from wind (Assuming it's not hot inside. Our RV was sometimes hotter than the outside temp.)
c) More comfortable sleeping. (But even this is negligible as I have seen some pretty sweet sleeping arrangements in tents.)
d) Peeing at night without having to walk all the way to the porta-potties.

I've done tents and I've done RV's. When I'm in the RV, I am envious of the tents. When I'm in a tent, I'm envious of the RV. But the deciding factor for me, without a doubt, is the ease of the nighttime pee.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:52 pm

I just got done turning in my RV to the rental agency. Five of us spent 4 hours detailing that sucker! It shined! It was better looking than when I checked it out last week.

The agency rep mentioned that 4 other burner RV's had been turned in and they were a mess. Dust and crap all over the place. They are going to charge them $100 per hour for cleaning, estimating 4-5 hours for each job. My rig passed with flying colors. As I was walking across the lot to my ride home I personally saw these rigs and they were in horrible condition...crap strew inside and covered with playa dust. SHAME ON YOU!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:03 pm

skippy3k wrote:That is a pretty good list. I cannot stress enough how dusty it will get, and how hard it is to clean the dust out. I'm assuming you've never been to the Black Rock area, but the dust is like no other. It just sticks to everything....seemingly forever.

I will add the following; plan to use the porta-potties almost all the time otherwise you will fill up your black water tanks within days. Waiting all day for an RV service truck to maybe come down your street while everyone else is out having fun sometimes sucks. Resist the urge to hang out inside the RV, otherwise you will miss out on something. (Primarily, the whole Burning Man experience.) Park it in such a way you can get out when you want. Communicate with your neighbors as to when you plan on leaving so they don't box you in. They could all be sleeping off their night at Center Camp the day you decide you want to leave. Do not use the awning. Repeat...do not use the awning. Build your own shade structure that is actually wind resistant.

Unless you run the AC all day (which I refuse to ever turn on), the only advantage of an RV is;

a) Easier cooking and food storage
b) Shelter from wind (Assuming it's not hot inside. Our RV was sometimes hotter than the outside temp.)
c) More comfortable sleeping. (But even this is negligible as I have seen some pretty sweet sleeping arrangements in tents.)
d) Peeing at night without having to walk all the way to the porta-potties.

I've done tents and I've done RV's. When I'm in the RV, I am envious of the tents. When I'm in a tent, I'm envious of the RV. But the deciding factor for me, without a doubt, is the ease of the nighttime pee.

Every person n camp needs a pee jug.

I gave out 30 "Simply Orange" jugs as gifts.

One gal said I should give out fabric softener jugs as it would be less embaressing to carry to the portos.

I told her I could'nt drink that much fabric softener! :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:40 pm

As has been said: only use the toilet to pee in at night. Pee. Piss. Urinate. Only. Hell, I still head to the porto's unless it's a "wake up from sleep" piss. Never ever ever shit in the RV toilet. You will smell it for the rest of the week!

Make sure to top off your gas tank in Gerlach so that you can run the generator if you want air-conditioning. "Sorry", I camp in an RV & party until sunrise, we like the A/C in for a couple hours a day so we can keep sleeping. If anyone tells you that you're doing it wrong, tell them they're free to not do it your way (or just to fuck off, which is what I normally say)

I had one of my best nights ever at Burning Man in the RV this year, partying with a core group of 6 of us that would go up to 10 or more occasionally - for hours on end. We went through multiple bottles of booze & bonded like motherfuckers while laughing our asses off. For me the Burn is as much about the people as it is about the rest of BRC, a night of bonding is as valid in an RV as it is sitting in the middle of the playa. Anyone who tells you you're doing it wrong can go fuck themselves. Your Burn is not theirs, theirs is not yours.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby skippy3k » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:27 pm

Eric - I'm merely suggesting that if one is to spend a ton of money on a ticket, and a ton of time preparing for the event, that choosing to sit inside an RV all the time would result in that person missing a lot of of great experiences possible to them outside, primary among those are the meeting of new and wonderful people. It sounds like you had a ton of friends already, which is great. However, if one does not arrive with friends, then they would most likely not meet any new ones while sitting inside an RV.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:40 pm

I agree that spending all your time in an RV would be bad, I'm just saying that spending time with friends in the RV isn't always bad. I wasn't honestly refuting your point about spending time in the RV, I was pointing out that one of the best times I've ever had was in one (and with a group that I either barely or didn't know 4/5th of, not some of my "tons" of friends).

I'm a big believer in letting the Burn happen as it will, if you had told me before hand that I was going to have an amazing party in an RV all night I would have told you that you're crazy. Now, not so much. I strongly believe none of us Burn alike, not even people camped in the same tent or RV. I try to remind myself that when answering posts- it's easier right after the Burn, harder as the year goes on.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby CornMan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:49 pm

One thing I like about the RV is that I know I'll have a place to grab a bite and get to sleep as soon as I arrive at the playa even in a whiteout. It's nice to just drive away without having to pack all your stuff too.

I have a swamp cooler and solar panels for my RV, so it is a nice place to hide away for a little nap if I get fatigued and it's hot out.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:43 pm

We actually sent up tents for sleeping/personal space and use the RV for cooking/napping/AC. We have a big shade we set up for sitting around during the day/night and share that space with anyone who takes up our invitation.

During the humid/hot day this year, we invited a small group of tenters to join us in the RV with the AC turned on. In short order they were making plans to bring an RV next year.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Eric wrote:As has been said: only use the toilet to pee in at night. Pee. Piss. Urinate. Only. Hell, I still head to the porto's unless it's a "wake up from sleep" piss. Never ever ever shit in the RV toilet. You will smell it for the rest of the week!

Make sure to top off your gas tank in Gerlach so that you can run the generator if you want air-conditioning. "Sorry", I camp in an RV & party until sunrise, we like the A/C in for a couple hours a day so we can keep sleeping. If anyone tells you that you're doing it wrong, tell them they're free to not do it your way (or just to fuck off, which is what I normally say)

I had one of my best nights ever at Burning Man in the RV this year, partying with a core group of 6 of us that would go up to 10 or more occasionally - for hours on end. We went through multiple bottles of booze & bonded like motherfuckers while laughing our asses off. For me the Burn is as much about the people as it is about the rest of BRC, a night of bonding is as valid in an RV as it is sitting in the middle of the playa. Anyone who tells you you're doing it wrong can go fuck themselves. Your Burn is not theirs, theirs is not yours.

X2. Sometimes i wouldnt get back to camp until 8. By then that bright shiny orb in the sky is doing its best to turn my rv into a Betty Crocker easy bake oven. Without ac, the rv is simply too hot for me to sleep in.

And i totally get the bonding thing....a group of us were all set to see the man burn when we all got to talking and being in the moment. Next thing we know we see fireworks out of the window! So we all took lawn chairs to the top of the rv, and continued the conversation from there. For sure we are going to watch the burn from the rooftop from now on.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby Savannah » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:22 pm

This is a great thread in regards to getting along in close quarters and having a pleasant experience:

Exp. RVers: Suggestions for House rules for renting an RV
viewtopic.php?t=34551

Here's how to have a chance in hell of getting your deposit back (no guarantees):

Keeping the RV dust-free (well, as dust-free as possible)
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=46062
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Return to Shelter & Camping