Playa Climate Prediction Center

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Playa Climate Prediction Center

Postby wh..sh » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Welcome to Nevada.
Smoke can cause headaches. Take all necessary medications.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby skippy3k » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:35 pm

I thought they were required by law to provide a non-smoking section?
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:01 am

wh..sh wrote:Welcome to Nevada.

OooOOOoooohhhh Nevada.....Now I am scared....

Pffffft, I live up in the Sierras, we got more to burn, your sissy sage fires are no match! :mrgreen:

Unless we uncover those Yucca Nukes....
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby wh..sh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:26 am

RedHeaven wrote:
wh..sh wrote:Welcome to Nevada.

OooOOOoooohhhh Nevada.....Now I am scared....

Pffffft, I live up in the Sierras, we got more to burn, your sissy sage fires are no match! :mrgreen:

Unless we uncover those Yucca Nukes....

:lol: That was for the non-Sierra folks.
Although, we certainly win on the high altitude, desert conditions 8)
You all might be little spoilt with all that greenery and humidity.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Elliot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:39 am

On the up-side.... I received a cell phone call from BRC yesterday, and he reported the ground is not as bad as the awful predictions we have had. He called it something like close to normal or close to average.:D

Leaving tomorrow. :D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:57 am

Elliot wrote:On the up-side.... I received a cell phone call from BRC yesterday, and he reported the ground is not as bad as the awful predictions we have had. He called it something like close to normal or close to average.:D

Leaving tomorrow. :D

Good news! Thx Elliot. Today is my last day in defaultia also. w00t!
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Humidity in in the Sierras? i sure wish sometimes!!!

although it makes 95 degrees fairly tolerable.

I am more uncomfortable at High Sierra Music Fest in Quincy than I am at Burning Man. BMan has fans on all the time hehehee

I am so ready to bike this shit!!! Woohoooo!!!
RedHeaven

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Smoke at Burning Man?

Hippy, please!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Totes hippy! The more forest smoke, the less the cops smell the herb! Puff tuff! It'll w00k out!
RedHeaven

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Everything is proceeding according to plan.
Mwahaha.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ano » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:37 pm

FYI, the Burning Man ustream is up (http://www.ustream.tv/burningman) and you can see the playa firsthand.

Looks hazy, dusty, and hot. Sweet!
Ano

Camp Name: ???

Postby pink » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:59 pm

Today was pretty nice. Just a breeze, no real winos or dust. The smoke is bad enough the mountains disappear.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby RedHeaven » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:32 am

Yuck! Go away smoke! Bring on the dust and winos but go away smoke!!
RedHeaven

Postby skippy3k » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:23 pm

All in all, I would say the doom and gloom that was predicted didn't transpire. I recall two days it being pretty hot but only because there wasn't a lot of wind. (Was it just me, or was there one night where it was really warm and muggy?) There were a couple of days where the wind picked up, but nothing terrible. I think the worst was just the playa condition around the 3 o'clock side of the city. Dusty and rutted. Oh, and pretty much all of 8 o'clock was torture on a bike by the end of the week. I didn't notice any issues with smoke either.

But hey, if predicting Dustpocalypse keeps the city population manageable, I'm all for it.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Here in Salem I did many dust dances and sent them to BM.. Just to teach you to not have fun when i can't be there...
unjonharley

Postby MacGlenver » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:58 am

skippy3k wrote:All in all, I would say the doom and gloom that was predicted didn't transpire. I recall two days it being pretty hot but only because there wasn't a lot of wind. (Was it just me, or was there one night where it was really warm and muggy?) There were a couple of days where the wind picked up, but nothing terrible. I think the worst was just the playa condition around the 3 o'clock side of the city. Dusty and rutted. Oh, and pretty much all of 8 o'clock was torture on a bike by the end of the week. I didn't notice any issues with smoke either.

But hey, if predicting Dustpocalypse keeps the city population manageable, I'm all for it.

Agree that the Dustpocalypse did not really occur. We arrived Sunday morning and were battered by some decent winds and dust for most of the day, which made getting our structures up somewhat challenging, but nothing crazy. The rest of the week was nice, with some gusting winds starting usually between 2-6pm, but generally tapering off at night. We had one serious white-out night on Friday, but it was actually a lot of fun. The ground was very bikeable where we were (around 7pm), but more challenging/rutted/dusty toward 5pm and beyond. The deeper playa was quite bikeable, though certain areas were pretty crusty for long stretches. Never regretted trying to ride my bike. Just had to walk it for 10-20 feet occasionally. Never saw any real smoke (except Sunday afternoon when someone's camp burned down... eek!).
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:37 am

I loved the weather this year. Smoke was far off, we had a little bit of everything. Very enjoyable and not boring like last year.
RedHeaven

Postby Ano » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:37 am

My first year was 2011, and I was a little nervous heading in to 2012, what with the rumors of this "dustpocalypse" happening with 120 mph winds and thirty hour whiteouts.

After experiencing my first Playa weather on sunday night, and a few other times throughout the week, I say - BRING ON THE DUST AND WIND! Nothing beats the adrenaline of my girlfriend and I trying to set up the monkey hut in strong winds with dust everywhere. I cut my hand, broke some gloves, and nearly ripped my wrist out of the socket, and IT WAS AWESOME. I want MORE bad weather. We got caught near the temple on friday during the whiteout, and we had to navigate back to camp by sound. It was fucking amazing.
Ano

Camp Name: ???

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Not having to pound stakes or pick up everybody else's MOOP, build giant art or lay out a trash fence, I don't want to wish more bad weather on the playa. Let it be 70 degrees and calm while they work. Those of us who remember 2008 are perfectly happy not to have experienced that during the burn this year, but, seriously, if you don't get at least one white/blackout during the week, nature is doing it wrong.

Hated almost getting creamed by a 1-800-RVFUCKTARD barrelling through a whiteout, though. Is kicking the shit out of the side of a rental vehicle as it passes considered an act of violence?
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:52 pm

We got in early on Saturday and had white-outs both Sat & Sunday where we couldn't even see across the street (6:30 & Esplanade). Mild dust-storms to white-outs every afternoon in the early week from 3ish-sundown (I think that mostly stopped on Thurs). The Friday night white-out was fantastic, nothing like biking the playa being barely able to see the construction lights on the Man and almost nothing else until you were almost on it.

There was definitely a hot/muggy night, whichever day those dark black storm-clouds just missed the city (Weds? Thurs?), and the days were a bit on the warm side, but not too much more than usual.

Most biking was incredibly easy (until I had to bike against the wind back towards Center Camp a few times), but the streets on the 3:00 side seemed to be mostly dunes. D around 5:00 was major suckage.

Personally, I loved the weather this year. It actually felt like Burning Man, unlike last year.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby vargaso » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:00 pm

Weather was perfect this year, although I was bummed that the Wall Street burned got postponed due to the whiteout on Friday night, as I had to leave on Sat. afternoon. I'm still not sure if Eric was real or just a mirage, though. Damn that desert is confusing.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Actually quite a mild Burn, weather-wise, IMHO...but that doesn't mean one shouldn't be prepared to the max!

Re the muggy night: first time I slept with just a sheet over me.

Re the dustiness Friday night: loved it...just hanged out at the bar (Vamp Camp to be exact) all night enjoying the awesome company there!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Postby DustHand » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:15 pm

It was a bit warmer at night than if I created the weather myself...the LED Faux Fur coats worked well, but were rather warm, even well into the early morning hours.

Other than that, no complaints! Loved it all.
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Burning Since: 2010

Postby VultureChow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:20 pm

I spent the Friday dust storm totally exposed after being shanghaied by the Burn Wall Street crew to work perimeter. I felt like every exposed inch of skin had been forcefully exfoliated. I was baptized by the dust and loved it. Eventually was allowed to take shelter when the burn was called off. DPW gave me a ride back to center camp. The walk back from there sucked, though.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:15 pm

vargaso wrote:I'm still not sure if Eric was real or just a mirage, though. Damn that desert is confusing.

If I was nice I was real, if I touched you inappropriately I was a mirage. If I touched you inappropriately and you liked it I was way too real... :twisted:
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby vargaso » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Eric wrote:
vargaso wrote:I'm still not sure if Eric was real or just a mirage, though. Damn that desert is confusing.

If I was nice I was real, if I touched you inappropriately I was a mirage. If I touched you inappropriately and you liked it I was way too real... :twisted:

I think what happened is, BBadger touched me inappropriately while you watched, so I'm not sure where that puts us. Probably somewhere in the surreal category.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby 48_love » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:31 pm

I was in the Sierra Nevada at <10K feet on Friday night. We had a few gusts that sounded like thunder ... or semi-trucks barreling down the highway. I thought of you all.

Glad to hear you survived! :)
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks