My name is Jack

My name is Jack

Postby Bob Loblaw » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:28 pm

Hello,
My name is Jack. I have been dating Savannah for 11 years. Our first date was July 4, 2001. I thought I would introduce myself to everyone here.
Thanks,
Jack
Bob Loblaw

Burning Since: 2017

Re: My name is Jack

Postby jkisha » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

So...why is Savannah at Burning Man and you are here all by yourself?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Bob Loblaw » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:43 pm

I graduated from law school last year and I cannot afford the luxury of time off. Hopefully, I can join everyone next year.
Bob Loblaw

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:07 am

Hi, Jack.
gyre

Postby Bob Loblaw » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:20 am

How can I delete or edit this post? I really do intend to go to burningman with my gf Sav but I posted my intro when I was a bit confused, depressed, and drunk. I think I might have come on a little strong and that is not my intention. Everything I said is true but I posted from a place of jealousy.
Bob Loblaw

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:39 am

Bob Loblaw wrote:How can I delete or edit this post? I posted my intro when I was a bit confused, depressed, and drunk.

Well, you fit right in then.

Doesn't look that bad to me.

You can't edit after twenty minutes.
You'll have to ask a moderator to do it.
gyre

Postby jkisha » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:40 am

Bob Loblaw wrote:How can I delete or edit this post? I really do intend to go to burningman with my gf Sav but I posted my intro when I was a bit confused, depressed, and drunk. I think I might have come on a little strong and that is not my intention. Everything I said is true but I posted from a place of jealousy.

All the mods are at Burning Man, you can PM one of them to delete it for you, though probably not until after the burn. But frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. I felt the same way when my partner went the first year we were together and he didn't want me to go with him.

You might want to tune into the burn on Ustream. That's what I did that first year andit helped. Since we both weren't able to go this year, I'm once again, watching it live on Ustream.

Savannah is a great gal. I had the pleasure of meeting her last year at the Meet and Greet. Hopefully, next year, I'll have the pleasure of making your acquaintance.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Bob Loblaw » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:53 am

Savannah is the most wonderful person I know, even if I fail to mention that to her sometimes.
She wants me to go and I have wanted to go these last 2-3 years. I was just bothered by some stuff that I should wait to talk to her about, and should not air publicly. I did not want to just slap my cock out on the table, and I think what I introduced myself with might have given that impression. I skipped dinner and went to hang with some friends test running a RPG and they had vodka, of which I partook.
I have known about this board for a while but stayed away. I decided I really need to start early and plan to go now that the difficulty of law school is over and I am still relatively young. I regret that I never went with her years ago. I probably won't visit or post much, because she probably needs her place to vent and such. There seems to be good resources here, though, which I will use to plan.
Witty banter and flirting probably help one's mental health and I would probably harsh that buzz or whatever if I was on here a lot. I think if I had more of that playfulness in my life I would be less stressed.
Bob Loblaw

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:56 am

I think you may be worrying too much.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:57 pm

Just avoid the threads where everyone is flirting with her.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Bob Loblaw » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:34 pm

I avoided this board for so long, but when I was looking at burning man info at work, it was one of the search results. I was missing her too, so I read some posts. Her speaking style and banter come across in her posts. It was like having her there in the room, in a way.

I actually don't mind the flirting. I like it, in a way, because I think even though I tell her she is beautiful and funny and all, when you have been dating a long time, positive affirmation does not seem to carry the same weight as when a stranger or acquaintance offers such praise, unsolicited. Harmless flirting can be good for one's positive self image. I think the real problem I have is that law school has really turned me into a mundane person and the last few years have been difficult, but thank god I am done now. I need more magic in my life, I need to be as dynamic as I once was, like she has been able to. It has made me feel like a lead weight on her at times.

I am glad you guys posted a reply, and thanks for listening to me unload. All the people I have sought reassurance with IRL have given me pitying stares and tell me things like "what happens at burning man stays at burning man" and "everyone cheats on their SO at burning man". I can quell jealousy over being away from her while she is at burning man, she has gone there multiple years while we have been dating, but the people I talked to just made me feel a whole lot worse.
Bob Loblaw

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:59 pm

Oh that vegas bullshit!

Some people do what they say they're going to do.

She is often funny.
And very droll.

Isn't she canadian?
Are they allowed to be funny?
gyre

Postby jkisha » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:00 pm

Well, stop your worrying and start your planning for next year. And help Savannah clean the playa off her stuff when she gets back.
JK
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:15 am

Savanna is wonderful. (And her schwag this year was totally uber--I'm sure I bought a week or two in pergatory for that remark.) For what it's worth, I've never see Savannah "vent" about things except bm-related things, and as a mod, she does maintain a certain amount of sanity/neutrality. I suspect that she can handle your presence on the board.
Good luck.
And know that if you fuck Savannah over, you will have a board's worth of enemies*--we really do think highly of her.

*This meant as a silly statement, not a threat.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:04 am

Hi Jack, welcome to the boards! You'll find this place not only a great resource for info and a place to ask questions, but plenty forgiving of drunken posts and the occasional venting or unloading. We were all new once too, and many of us have either been in a position where significant others were out there without us or we were out there without our SO's. While some people do treat it like Vegas (what happens there stays there, etc), I've found that for a very large number it's a place that lets people be the people they truly want to be. More creative, more amazing, more friendly, more open, more helpful, more artistic… than they would back home in what we call 'Defaultia' or the 'default world' (normal society that we're all born into). You might not be feeling as awesome or as dynamic as you have in the past, but know that it's in there (you guys wouldn't still be together if you weren't). Congrats on having gotten through school and finally gotten to a place where you'll be able to take the time to go, and have fun preparing for the adventure together.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby illy dilly » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:58 am

Hey Jack, Welcome to Eplaya!

I'd say read everything and prepare but I'm sure Savannah has already told you all about it!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Return to Introduce Yourself!