Are there still open camps available?

Are there still open camps available?

Postby akss » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi there and everyone,

I'm a first timer at Burning Man. I have great experience in travelling, hiking and sporting activities, but I've never been in the desert. I'm not scared by this whole new experience, just looking forward how it can come out.

While reading all the BM first timer manuals, I missed that I have needed to join some camp and I figured it out just now. Even though I'm quite self maintainable and reliant, It's much better to share the place to live with some great people. I'm ready to help and maintain the camp. Hence, I'm really interested if there some camps, which still host new participants?

I'm coming to the playa in Wed-Thu night and ready to join a camp who can welcome me.
If not, that fine, I can figure something out. Looking forward to seeing you on the playa! Have a great burning fun!

Love,
Anton
akss

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Are there still open camps available?

Postby danibel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Most big camp organizers are already on the playa. I think you may be best off gathering the equipment you will need and heading out solo. You may meet some kewl people to camp next to, but as far as I can tell the camps with infrastructure had dues and work weekends over the summer.

You can do this on your own. Think basics like - tent (or other sleeping arrangements), shade, goggles, dust mask, shade hats, warm clothes for night, a bike, ect.. The food threads have lots of ideas for meals with little to no cooking/washing. Don't forget water. Read the survival guide and first timers guide.

There is a stag camp somewhere you might be able to join when you get on the playa. Check the theme camp threads. Lots of camps "adopt" self sufficient people. We kind of took in a couple from France a few years ago. Plan on going it alone and be open to other situations.

Good luck and see you in the dust.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Re: Are there still open camps available?

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:45 pm

There are people organizing camps on the theme camp threads now.

Try those.
gyre

Return to Introduce Yourself!