Article for car magazine

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

Article for car magazine

Postby JanDD » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm a Belgian burner, lost my virginity last year. I was really amazed by all the incredible art cars and mutant vehicles and I will be writing an article about it this year. This 7 pages article will be published in the Belgian car magazine AutoWereld. I'm a traveling freelance journalist and just like last year BM was so kind to give me a press accreditation.

In the article I want to write about various art cars, with a particular focus on the big projects. I'd love to interview car mechanics (amateur or pro) and artists involved in these projects. If anyone would be interested in talking to me and showing your fine art, I'd be glad to hear! Miguel, the photographer for the article and a good friend of mine, will make sure to make good pictures of your art.
All tips about interesting and related events on the playa are more then welcome too.

And then one last question: Do mutant vehicles tend to drive to BRC as a whole or are they put together on the playa? Either way I think it would be very interesting to accompany an art car crew on the way to BM already. Adds a lot to the experience. Is anyone going from San Francisco to BRC on Sunday with his art car and with 2 empty spots? The photographer and me would love to drive along! We can pitch in for the gas costs of course.

Any tips or if you're interested in meeting on the playa, please tell me where we can find you. After the Burn we can send you the pictures we took and if you end up in the magazine, we'll send you the article too of course.
JanDD

Re: Article for car magazine

Postby EmilyD » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:23 pm

JanDD wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm a Belgian burner, lost my virginity last year. I was really amazed by all the incredible art cars and mutant vehicles and I will be writing an article about it this year. This 7 pages article will be published in the Belgian car magazine AutoWereld. I'm a traveling freelance journalist and just like last year BM was so kind to give me a press accreditation.

In the article I want to write about various art cars, with a particular focus on the big projects. I'd love to interview car mechanics (amateur or pro) and artists involved in these projects. If anyone would be interested in talking to me and showing your fine art, I'd be glad to hear! Miguel, the photographer for the article and a good friend of mine, will make sure to make good pictures of your art.
All tips about interesting and related events on the playa are more then welcome too.

And then one last question: Do mutant vehicles tend to drive to BRC as a whole or are they put together on the playa? Either way I think it would be very interesting to accompany an art car crew on the way to BM already. Adds a lot to the experience. Is anyone going from San Francisco to BRC on Sunday with his art car and with 2 empty spots? The photographer and me would love to drive along! We can pitch in for the gas costs of course.

Any tips or if you're interested in meeting on the playa, please tell me where we can find you. After the Burn we can send you the pictures we took and if you end up in the magazine, we'll send you the article too of course.

Hi JanDD,

I wanted to let you know about ArtCar Camp (Rod's Road @ 2:00). That's the place where some of the original artists who first brought decorated vehicles out to the Playa will be. You should definitely speak to Harrod Blank: http://harrodblank.com/ who is not only a film maker but also an ArtCar artist himself. He's done three films about these vehicles and is working on a film about Burning Man. He'll be at our camp. Also there will be Philo Northrup who along with Harrod co-founded ArtCar Fest: http://artcarfest.com/. Both of these artists will be driving specially licensed "Historic ArtCars" (as opposed to "Mutant Vehicles" which are all that is licensed to drive on the Playa these days.) Additionally there will be some folks from the Houston ArtCar community (the largest in the nation: http://www.thehoustonartcarparade.com/)

So come on over and visit us at ArtCar Camp. I'm sure you'll get plenty of info for your article.
EmilyD

Postby JanDD » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks a lot! We'll visit your Artcar Camp for sure!
JanDD

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:08 pm

Yes, please do not confuse genuine street-legal art cars with the crappy party barges Burning Man approves.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 am

Bob wrote:Yes, please do not confuse genuine street-legal art cars with the crappy party barges Burning Man approves.

Thank you for being so modest. I'm sure your crappy art is much, much crappier.

The burn is over so you can go back to being a default-world asshole and still tell your friends how much of a burner you are.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Return to 2012 Mutant Vehicles