Mutating Mad Max style vechile with mobile dance cage

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Mutating Mad Max style vechile with mobile dance cage

Postby PEZ » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Hello beautiful burners!

I'm Sean, the lead designer and project manager for a community art project. Over here in little old Santa Ana, CA a group of talented artists, craftsmen, and creatives are working on a mutant vehicle.

The project is code named: Char-O-Lot. We are turning my truck, Charlotte, into a post-apocalyptic bounty hunter vehicle. The main feature of the vehicle is a dance cage mounted over the hood of the vehicle. The cage is a network of steel rod, welded together, to create a spider web enclosing the dancer. It will also have a nice protected observation platform, kind of like a crows nest, over the cab of the truck. Out the back we will have a dual function turret that will spit fire and water. There will be many places for passengers including running boards on the sides to you can hang on as we roll on. The styling is very aggressive, Death Guild eat your heart out!

I hope you all like it, we'd love to hear what you think about the design.

This year we are taking it out Wasteland Weekend and next year the mutant vehicle WILL make it out to the playa. (if there is a Burning Man next year)

Please check out our facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/CHAROLOT

Also, watch the conceptual animation I made:

Thanks for looking,
GANGrene
(the group working on this awesome project)
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come. -Joseph Campbell
PEZ

Re: Mutating Mad Max style vechile with mobile dance cage

Postby Drawingablank » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Very nice, but I'm pretty sure you will need to modify it a lot more for use at BM. I suspect that is still too recognizable as a pickup to satisfy the BM DMV.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Mad Max: Beyond Boring.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby PEZ » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:12 pm

The render is a concept and the project is in progress. It will have many more modifications and decorations than are shown in the render before it even reaches Wasteland Weekend 2012, let alone playa next year.

Plus doesn't the Death Guild roll around in some vehicles that still look like trucks or cars? They have shit welded to them, are fucked up, and decorated well
Last edited by PEZ on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come. -Joseph Campbell
PEZ

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Faugh.

Do your thing. Don't expect praise.

If it's not mutated enough, it's cool to park.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:24 pm

PEZ wrote:I hope you all like it, we'd love to hear what you think about the design.

Truth? It's been done to death.
Ugly Dougly

Postby PEZ » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:49 pm

There are plans for a large exposed sprocket and motorcycle chain setup with motor to automate the arms and the top platform that hinge up from the back of the vehicle. We also want to bring an arm out to the side with a net hammock seat. We would like to mount one of those earth chainsaws that dig ditches to the front with hydraulic control so it can be used to help with infrastructure setup and laying down power lines at outdoor events. Moar metal, armor, spider webs, paint, lights, and sound.
PEZ

Postby PEZ » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
PEZ wrote:I hope you all like it, we'd love to hear what you think about the design.

I totally respect yours and Drawingablank's comments. Bob's however had no constructive criticism and was blatantly unnecessary.
PEZ

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:59 pm

Do you plan to get it approved as a MV? When is your deadline?
Ugly Dougly

Postby PEZ » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:56 am

That would be ideal. I think it would make a great addition to other art cars that throw deep playa parties with good sound. It won't make it out to playa this year. We are stress testing the design at Wasteland Weekend this year. When we get back we will have 11 months to plan for how to make it able to traverse the playa at will. By coming up with creative designs, doing mock ups and communicating with the DMV before hand we will add whatever is necessary to get it registered.

Right now it's a great framework that can be built onto and modified as necessary for different events. We already have someone that wants to use it in a parade and decorate it accordingly. It is meant to be a versatile, multifunction, utilitarian, entertainment tool on wheels.
PEZ

Postby Sail Man » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:16 am

PEZ wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:

I totally respect yours and Drawingablank's comments. Bob's however had no constructive criticism and was blatantly unnecessary.

Well, that's just Bob. Anybody would feel unnecessary if they were just a couch left out and alone on the open playa. But we love him, just the same. And taking up a collection to have him re-upholstered, we're thinking Naugahyde.

Weld away Pez, have fun with your creation.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:20 am

Bring this up again in a week. There will be so many vets, fresh back from the Burn. They can offer advice about how much you need to mutate it, etc. And also offer more snark.
Wasteland Weekend sounds like a fun event.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Major Krash » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:08 pm

A great start, and with 11 months to go the time is ripe!

If you can, cover the wheels in some fashion, and as much of the rest of the vehicle body as possible (even if it is just painted cloth). If they can identify the base vehicle at a glance, it will likey be denied (unless the rest is spectacular).
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: tbd

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:25 pm

Shirley, if you made it look like a Sexy Vampire style vechile with mobile dance cage, that would pass with the DMV.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:45 pm

It's more sophisticated, but if you can hide the particular visual cues that identify a vehicle, you don't have to just cover it all.
It's been done on the playa very well.

This isn't from burning man, but identify the base vehicle.

gyre

Postby Runs; With Scissors » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Ha!

There seems to be a culture of knocking down other people's ideas and jumping in to side track a post before there is much opportunity for constructive criticism on the eplaya. I wouldn't let a bunch of negative ninnies online shut you down or force you into a stage of redevelopment and self doubting at the refinancing that would come out of it, because frankly, it's your idea and the fact you have a team together is pretty dandy. Of all the people who said it would never get approved by the DMV, do any of you do that? Have you run a vehicle by the DMV before, because it seems like you spend a lot of time posting about other people's ideas online and I question if you have the time?

It seems like there's a few genera of common ideas, just to name a few more common ones I saw at the burn this year, there's steam punk, fluffy / garden / cute / animalish / easterish things, common monsters and common mythos. ...and while I didn't see a lot of apocalypic stuff, I bet it was out there, and has been there. But, just like the fluffy bunnies and the cool train steam punk city things, they all got there too, and honestly, the majority amused me in some capacity. (some more than others, pink fuzzy things just don't do much for me) There are some epic art cars out there too, which are HUGE! Like a gigantic dragon, a space ship or a love potion moving party! Some are epic for their creativity, some are epic because they can take tons of people with them or have fantastic DJs set up on them. My point is that you don't have to become epic because you thought of a genera that nobody else did - even of the epic cars I just named, Love Potion is the only one that seems truly unique. Maybe people like things they're a little familiar to?

Now, your idea-
Utilitarian- I love the utilitarian aspect of it. I'm a utilitarian myself and generally anything utilitarian makes me happy. The digger ma-gigger sounds really complicated to set up and to balance, plus, I'd be terrified to drive it around with the drunks and dark people dancing in front of you - it's one thing to hit someone with a blunt object, but a pokey one, that's just wrong. When would you use it anyway? Perhaps there are more utilitarian functions that one would need out on the playa, the Wasteland, etc. What about a tow system? Perhaps it would be better to think on things that would aide in the bounty hunting...

Hammock - Nice. I have an amusing idea of setting up a whole slew of hammocks and having people sleeping from all over it, but I don't think that was your intention, still, I like it.

The Turrets - Does anybody get to shoot those? How do you control passengers using them vs crew? Will the fire one get hot, and with people strapped on all over the place, will it be an issue?

Guns - I didn't see a lot of guns on the playa, with the exception of a single Dalek with a laser-arm-thing. Maybe I don't notice them, and I don't know the rules on them, they're not my thing. I brought it up because it is a big apocalypse thing, so - perhaps some research into weapons rules would be ideal?

Characters: I'm not sure if this was intended, but I like that in my head, the hot chick on the hood (HCOTH) was dancing in a CAGE, so she was kinda like post-apocalyptic property.

HCOTH's Picture (AHEM! THE PICTURE OF THE ART CAR!!!) - She has nice legs, but the hood thing looks more like a place to cook bacon. I like how you welded pieces of metal together there, but I would like it more if it happened less evenly. If you read the Preparing for the Wasteland" documentation, one comment they make about costumes is that you should look like you have "limited resources." That, to me, means more re-purposing and less things fitting so well. This also means things got really damaged and you're using them anyway. Ultimately, it means I get to play with a blow torch in my back yard and wildly mix hazardous chemicals and pour my concoction over things to accelerate the annihilation process!

When you say lights, I presume you mean the big deer hunting ones. We used to cover them with electrical tape to make them look like they were broken, while still getting a lot of light out of them. You may be able to make some metal light filters / shapers to put over the lights so they do not blind people like they do deer and make them more cool.

GanGRENE - That's a cool name, quite unique.

Using it - Have you considered going to the Doo Dah parade? Also, I'll see you at the wasteland, if you need any help, my sister and I will be in a faded partially copper roofed yurt that is missing chunks of the walls and is strapped to a scratched Honda Element with a cracked windshield.

Good Luck!
Runs; With Scissors

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: love potion

Re: Mutating Mad Max style vehicle with mobile dance cage

Postby trilobyte » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:45 pm

Moving this over to transportation, since it's more of a discussion on building the mutant vehicle.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:50 pm

good luck..email the folks at DMV and use their feedback

An S-10 pickup with a platform and cage won't measure up to their standards for new MV's. A lot of vehicles like the Thunderdome gang has are somewhat 'grandfathered' in, and some of the hacked up vehicles are DPW who get to use damn near whatever they want.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Return to Transportation