Simple Morning Shade for Small Backpacking Tent

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Simple Morning Shade for Small Backpacking Tent

Postby nita » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:54 pm

You're a legend, thanks so much! That's really useful I'll try it out:)
nita

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: SpinCycle

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Two guy lines at the corners, or it's unstable.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Lo_80 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:54 pm

Hoolie wrote:I rigged this up for a friend last year, and was told it worked pretty well. It's a pretty basic setup. Just enough shade to allow you to sleep in a bit in the morning. This setup works with a one or two person backpacking tent. All you need is:

(1) 8x10 Tarp or Shade Net with Grommets
(2) Telescoping Camp Poles or Similar
(4) Rebar Stakes or Similar
(1) Rope or Cord, approx 20 feet

Picture is pretty self-explanatory for setup. I used shade net so the wind could filter through somewhat, but one of those heavy-duty silver tarps would provide cooler shade. I used the taut-line hitch for tying off the guylines. Orient tarp to face the morning sun.

Hoolie, can you please explain why you set the poles at an angle instead of vertical?
Lo_80

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Hoolie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:04 pm

Lo_80 wrote:Hoolie, can you please explain why you set the poles at an angle instead of vertical?

Hmm, that was four years ago now, but I'm guessing that was as short as the poles got, so I placed them at a diagonal so the tarp wouldn't be too vertical.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Lo_80 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:25 pm

Hoolie wrote:
Lo_80 wrote:Hoolie, can you please explain why you set the poles at an angle instead of vertical?

Hmm, that was four years ago now, but I'm guessing that was as short as the poles got, so I placed them at a diagonal so the tarp wouldn't be too vertical.

Thanks!
Lo_80

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Hoolie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:20 am

Just to expand on an earlier comment about wind: The easiest way to account for sun and wind is to orient the closed end toward the morning sun and the open end toward your car for use as a wind block. Those who are not arriving by car can look for a spot with another vehicle or structure oriented opposite the morning sun and pitch your tent near it, effectively using your neighbor's structure or vehicle as a wind block. Just use good judgement here and respect your neighbor's camp space. Otherwise, just use shade net. Assuming everything is staked down tightly, the wind should filter through enough to prevent any breakdowns (at least that was my experience). It won't be as cool as solid shade, but it's way better than direct sun.
Last edited by Hoolie on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoolie

Postby Hoolie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:29 am

Forgot to mention in the original post, if you use straight rebar stakes, be sure to cap them with something like old tennis balls or plastic water bottles. The caps I used in the photo are purpose built rebar caps.
Hoolie

Postby tommyzed » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:06 am

Hoolie - How are the poles prevented from moving around? Are they partially underground (i.e. you dug a hole)?

Thanks!
---tommy/loki/whatever
tommyzed

Postby Hoolie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:03 pm

tommyzed wrote:Hoolie - How are the poles prevented from moving around? Are they partially underground (i.e. you dug a hole)?

Sorry for the late response. The poles are not dug in. They are held in place simply by tension, from the guylines and from the tarp itself. This is why it's important to use strong stakes and learn a good slipknot (like the one I linked to in the original post). That way, you can really tighten things down. This will make the overall structure sturdier as well.
Hoolie

Postby Hoolie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Just to reiterate, a good knot is important for this shade setup. Here's the one I use:

[media]
Hoolie

Postby Schtev » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:01 pm

Is that fine for grommets too? Or would a bow line be a better choice for those?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Frosty Phoques

Postby Hoolie » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:13 am

I run this knot through grommets all the time. I prefer it because it's adjustable, but a bowline would be fine too, particularly if you have an adjustable knot at the other end.
Hoolie

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping