RV Frig - Vent protection

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

RV Frig - Vent protection

Postby Gage » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Im in Reno & getting ready to head to the playa. This is the 1st year I'm bringing a Class-A motorhome that is fully functional. It's a 1992 Southwind, with a newer frig. I could have sworn I've seen RV's with vent's taped over their frig vents, possibly angling down to keep wind from carrying too much dust into the frig vent area & knocking out the pilot light. I'm bringing a lot of extra frozen & refrigerated food this year for camp, and I'm trying to prevent a huge pile of sand getting in there & keeping the pilot from re-lighting. Is this a problem that I need to protect against, or no?

Thanks for your comments. Leaving Reno in 30 minutes...
Gage
"Not everyone who is single is lonely; not everyone who is taken is in love." I'm a seeker of (& full participant in) present-moment magic, and nothing beats playa love! <3
Gage

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Shadyvil

Re: RV Frig - Vent protection

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:14 pm

I've been RV'ing for the last 7 years and never had a problem...that said my RVs have all been 2205 and later..dunno about '92s. Is it possible to rig some kind of breathable baffle around the vent... a piece of fiber insulation? Anyone?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby skippy3k » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:02 pm

It's my first year with an RV as well, and I waffled on the "tape vent or no tape vent" quandary. I finally decided to not tape and will just keep an eye on it. I would rather it vent the way it's supposed to than to try and keep a little dust out. I am bringing some compressed air though, in case I chose unwisely.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Token » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Do not tape the fridge vent ever! Easy way to kill everyone in th RV.

The fridge vent is exhausting CO2 from the propane that is used to power the fridge. If you tape the vent that CO2 will go somewhere, likely iside the vehicle.

Just blow it out with compressed air when you get back to the world.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby skippy3k » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:12 pm

Yeah, there is the whole "death" thing too, if you are concerned about that.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Return to Shelter & Camping