The Official 2012 Rockstar Librarian Music Guide

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

The Official 2012 Rockstar Librarian Music Guide

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:27 am

Today is the day!

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: The Official 2012 Rockstar Librarian Music Guide

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:37 am

junglesmacks

Postby Homiesinheaven » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:04 pm

linky no worky.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:21 pm

the cloud is gasping for air....they are working on it...be patient....i just talked to kate....they are changing the hamsters in the power wheels...please stand by...

damn ravers....flooding the system....

but seriously, should be up again soon, the link is valid.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Back up and flowing like butta..
junglesmacks

Postby Homiesinheaven » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:56 pm

thanks. oh shit, Gaslamp Killer at Root Society?!?

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Homiesinheaven

Postby ACfromSAC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:08 pm

BRC doesn't share in my usual brand of musical preference (my Slayer flag will be flying over my camp), any good recommendations for whom I should make a point to catch while I'm out there? Crystal Method is an easy one, REALLY digging The Gaslamp Killer so far (thanks homiesinheaven)... who else? Come on all ye electronic music fanatics, help an ignorant fellow out. Thanks!
ACfromSAC

Burning Since: 2017

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:16 pm

ACfromSAC wrote:BRC doesn't share in my usual brand of musical preference (my Slayer flag will be flying over my camp), any good recommendations for whom I should make a point to catch while I'm out there? Crystal Method is an easy one, REALLY digging The Gaslamp Killer so far (thanks homiesinheaven)... who else? Come on all ye electronic music fanatics, help an ignorant fellow out. Thanks!

Honestly.. no one can really answer that but you. Best thing to do is make a mental note of where the major players are.. and just wander at night and follow your ears. If it sounds good, go closer! If it sucks.. go check out some art and do a loop.

Although.. don't be afraid to get right up in there and hear it for what it's worth on a good system. Lots of times what it sounds like from afar may sound like shoes in a dryer until you get up there.. and only then you can hear the intricacies of the music and really appreciate what's going on. Hell.. the party itself is half the fun, anyway..

..and there are plenty of people that will tell you that no matter what, even up close it sounds like shoes in a dryer.. :lol:

To each their own! It's just there for enjoyment. Enjoy it.
junglesmacks

Postby ACfromSAC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Honestly.. no one can really answer that but you. Best thing to do is make a mental note of where the major players are.. and just wander at night and follow your ears. If it sounds good, go closer! If it sucks.. go check out some art and do a loop.

Although.. don't be afraid to get right up in there and hear it for what it's worth on a good system. Lots of times what it sounds like from afar may sound like shoes in a dryer until you get up there.. and only then you can hear the intricacies of the music and really appreciate what's going on. Hell.. the party itself is half the fun, anyway..

..and there are plenty of people that will tell you that no matter what, even up close it sounds like shoes in a dryer.. :lol:

To each their own! It's just there for enjoyment. Enjoy it.

I'll just follow your LED suit around and hope that you've got impeccable taste. You're right, musical tastes vary wildly, but surely there must be acts that others are excited to see... that's a good starting point for looking up a few from the sea of names to give them a listen on Spotify. DO IT!
ACfromSAC

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Lee Burridge on the Robot Heart bus Friday night/Saturday morning. WICKED thick psychadelic tech house. Blow your mind stuff as the sun comes out.

JELO is always a party wherever he plays.. eclectic high energy mixing.

Art Department/Damian Lazarus/et al on the RH bus Wednesday night. Kinda mellow last couple times that I've caught them but super good and masterfully spun house music.

Dj Dan is always fun and plays a good tech house-y blend.

Past that.. it honestly just changes from party to party and the vibe of the venue. If you want house music under the stars in the dark expanse of the open playa.. find Robot Heart. If you want high energy and bright lights.. find Opulent Temple.

Wander wander wander.. go where the party in your mind takes you.. :wink:
junglesmacks

Postby illy dilly » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:36 pm

AND THE PDFs ARE SEARCHABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby ACfromSAC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:37 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Lee Burridge on the Robot Heart bus Friday night/Saturday morning. WICKED thick psychadelic tech house. Blow your mind stuff as the sun comes out.

JELO is always a party wherever he plays.. eclectic high energy mixing.

Art Department/Damian Lazarus/et al on the RH bus Wednesday night. Kinda mellow last couple times that I've caught them but super good and masterfully spun house music.

Dj Dan is always fun and plays a good tech house-y blend.

Past that.. it honestly just changes from party to party and the vibe of the venue. If you want house music under the stars in the dark expanse of the open playa.. find Robot Heart. If you want high energy and bright lights.. find Opulent Temple.

Wander wander wander.. go where the party in your mind takes you.. :wink:

What a gentleman. Thank you sir.
ACfromSAC

Postby Homiesinheaven » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:43 pm

junglesmacks wrote:..and there are plenty of people that will tell you that no matter what, even up close it sounds like shoes in a dryer.. :lol:

hahaha, from the deep playa everything sounds like shoes in a dryer or robots taking a shit. thanks for the recommendations, any other tech house or minimal house?
Homiesinheaven

Postby Dis)'(rack » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:11 pm

ACfromSAC wrote:BRC doesn't share in my usual brand of musical preference (my Slayer flag will be flying over my camp), any good recommendations for whom I should make a point to catch while I'm out there? Crystal Method is an easy one, REALLY digging The Gaslamp Killer so far (thanks homiesinheaven)... who else? Come on all ye electronic music fanatics, help an ignorant fellow out. Thanks!

I am a big time Slayer \m/ fan myself, and also am a drum'n'bass head. DnB is typically fast breakbeats at ~170 bpm, so it probably would be a good fit for you.

Aphrodite - Opulent & Root on different days.
You pay your money...you take your chances
Dis)'(rack

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Postby ACfromSAC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:49 pm

Dis)'(rack wrote:I am a big time Slayer \m/ fan myself, and also am a drum'n'bass head. DnB is typically fast breakbeats at ~170 bpm, so it probably would be a good fit for you.

From my limited electro experience (by limited, I mean burning man last year), it was the faster stuff that I tended to gravitate towards at night. Something with a bit more of an aggressive beat. This seems right in that realm. Thanks for the tip!
ACfromSAC

Postby Dis)'(rack » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:54 pm

ACfromSAC wrote:
Dis)'(rack wrote:I am a big time Slayer \m/ fan myself, and also am a drum'n'bass head. DnB is typically fast breakbeats at ~170 bpm, so it probably would be a good fit for you.

From my limited electro experience (by limited, I mean burning man last year), it was the faster stuff that I tended to gravitate towards at night. Something with a bit more of an aggressive beat. This seems right in that realm. Thanks for the tip!

Youtube NOISIA, BTK & Optiv, Mefjus, Upbeats...these guys are more into the neurofunk, and deep/dark tech dnb (NOISIA is crazy all over the place). Stuff is closer to metal than most electronica.

I used to not like electronica when I first went 11 yrs ago...now I DJ DnB...go figure.

BTW...I live in Sacto too. Hope you enjoy.
Dis)'(rack

Postby ACfromSAC » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Dis)'(rack wrote:Youtube NOISIA, BTK & Optiv, Mefjus, Upbeats...these guys are more into the neurofunk, and deep/dark tech dnb (NOISIA is crazy all over the place). Stuff is closer to metal than most electronica.

I used to not like electronica when I first went 11 yrs ago...now I DJ DnB...go figure.

Well hell, if you happen to see my Slayer flag flying somewhere near 8:15 and D (hopefully), drop by for a cold beer and say hello. Thanks again for the tips!
ACfromSAC

Postby Jgladdy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:10 pm

This seems shorter than previous year's no? Lineups look awesome but seems more centered around the massive/big sound camps. Maybe not, I'd have to dig up an old one...Either way, excited to be dancing in the dust!
Jgladdy

Postby swampdog » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:15 pm

very pleased to see fewer big names than last year (big name defined as: someone I've heard of). The "gotta go see the <whoever> concert!"vibe was harshing my mellow.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:17 pm

swampdog wrote:very pleased to see fewer big names than last year (big name defined as: someone I've heard of). The "gotta go see the <whoever> concert!"vibe was harshing my mellow.

Yeah.. honestly.. I can count the "big names" on one hand this year.. which I'll call as a good thing! As much as I love seeing world class DJs in person, it was garnering the wrong kind of attention to things...
junglesmacks

Postby Dis)'(rack » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:22 pm

ACfromSAC wrote:
Dis)'(rack wrote:Youtube NOISIA, BTK & Optiv, Mefjus, Upbeats...these guys are more into the neurofunk, and deep/dark tech dnb (NOISIA is crazy all over the place). Stuff is closer to metal than most electronica.

Well hell, if you happen to see my Slayer flag flying somewhere near 8:15 and D (hopefully), drop by for a cold beer and say hello. Thanks again for the tips!

WHOAH! Stop the press. I just read the guide and saw Apex at Fri 3AM Ooligan Alley. If that's the same Apex that does Nod & Same Ol' Blues that will be a DnB Banger.
Dis)'(rack

Postby Dis)'(rack » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:27 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
swampdog wrote:very pleased to see fewer big names than last year (big name defined as: someone I've heard of). The "gotta go see the <whoever> concert!"vibe was harshing my mellow.

Yeah.. honestly.. I can count the "big names" on one hand this year.. which I'll call as a good thing! As much as I love seeing world class DJs in person, it was garnering the wrong kind of attention to things...

Agreed.

Hopefully no shameless plugging this year. Way too much of that last year. Shut up and spin your Serrato, or CDJs, or Ableton, or whatever controlism devise you're using. We'll look up your shit if we like you when we get back to defaultia
Dis)'(rack

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Who was that guy telling us about the cds he was going to "gift" us yesterday? Spam, yes, I want to be spammed.

There, Foxfur could make a "Spam Me!" stencil...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Bexx » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:27 am

I don't know DJ's from a whole in the ground.. - but I am sad that Planet Earth isn't gonna be back out.. now where am I gonna get my gothic and industrial danse on? :cry:
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby alex_ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:52 pm

This is my list of people to see

PillowTalk(Mike Tello)
Damian Lazarus
Jamie Jones
Art Department (Jonny White)
James What
Behrouz
M.A.N.D.Y
AudioFly (Luca)
Blond:ish
Wildkats
LEEEE BURRIDGE!!!!
Scarlet Etienne
Thugfucker
Laura Jones
Maayan Nidham
Richy Ahmed
Burnski
Lee Foss
Waifs & Strays
Cesar Merveille
Robert James
Worthy
Marques Wyatt
Desyn Masiello
Crystal Method
Stanton Warriors
Adam Freeland
Aphrodite
Carl Cox!!!!!!!!!
Deekline
Christian Martin
Justin Martin
Pumpkin
Osulande
Rob Garza (Thievery Corp)
alex_

Camp Name: This one place on the esplanade

Postby alex_ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Homiesinheaven wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:..and there are plenty of people that will tell you that no matter what, even up close it sounds like shoes in a dryer.. :lol:

hahaha, from the deep playa everything sounds like shoes in a dryer or robots taking a shit. thanks for the recommendations, any other tech house or minimal house?

My post of artists consists of all tech house, deep house, tribal, and techno (besides aphrodite, deekline, and crystal method)
alex_

Camp Name: This one place on the esplanade

Postby RedHeaven » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:10 am

Jgladdy wrote:This seems shorter than previous year's no? Lineups look awesome but seems more centered around the massive/big sound camps. Maybe not, I'd have to dig up an old one...Either way, excited to be dancing in the dust!

Moksha and Gravybrain are both listed and are both live bands
I always would like to see more, though. Would love it if the Marching Bands or bands in Center Camp would list.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby lucky420 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:28 pm

i don't know any of these djs/musicians except a few (RandomRab, Emancipator,) but I do know that i like it when my daughter turns it up :twisted:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby mackerous » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:45 am

Burns don't tend to provide for my musical tastes either. I can stand much electronic music now, but it doesn't make me want to dance unless if a very specific music and even then it's only for about 3 minutes. While I'm not sure if there's much metal on the playa, I do know there is punk on the playa. Voted Best Camp is made up of a bunch of punks from Reno. In 2010 they had a Super Nintendo, skate ramp, playa cups with big black dicks one them, and lots of whiskey. This schedule says bands the Vampirates and Voted Best Band are playing Monday at midnight (whether that means Sunday night/Monday morning or Monday night/Tuesday morning, I'm not sure). They try to camp as far away from everyone as possible. 2 years back they were at 2 & L.
mackerous

Postby Wrath » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:32 am

mackerous wrote:I do know there is punk on the playa.

Fucking SWEET!!!
Wrath

Next

Return to 2012 Art & Performance