HexaYurts

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: HexaYurts

Postby lucky420 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:52 pm

i use rebar as is. I don't candy cane them but do cover them with funoodles and secured stuffed animals.

why would you need to sharpen them?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby snabss » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:57 pm

i finished building my H15 yurt, today. yaaay!! but i do have a question, how do you guys attached the "wooden" door to the insulation board door. i.e if you are using plywood or something to strength the door part.
snabss

Burning Since: 2003

Postby Canoe » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:39 am

One way: plywood "frame" on the surface of the foam-board, with a piece on the inside too. Bolt through from one to the other, but without compressing the foam-board, just holding tight. Screw your hinges to the plywood.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby jkisha » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:29 am

snabss wrote:i finished building my H15 yurt, today. yaaay!! but i do have a question, how do you guys attached the "wooden" door to the insulation board door. i.e if you are using plywood or something to strength the door part.

Plywood is totally unnecessary. The doors plenty sturdy enough with no reinforcement.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Jyman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:38 am

Hi -
What thickness of plywood is everyone using to sandwich their 4'x8' package?

I'll be transporting the stack flat and strapped on the brim of my 6' truck bed (toyota tacoma). This means it will hang 2 ft. off the back of the truck bed, so I want to be sure the bottom sheet of plywood is sturdy enough to keep the stack from wobbling and bending down of the back.

I'm thinking 3/8" would be solid, but it's like $27 a piece!!! Prices went way up the last 2 weeks. Maybe I can get away with 1/2" ply? (Still $20)
Jyman

Burning Since: 2011

Postby DustyRockstar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:26 pm

BRING EXTRA TAPE!!! It's really windy out there
DustyRockstar

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Wicky » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:02 pm

So, my first hexayurt build on the Playa is nearly here. I'm really looking forward to it, but pretty nervous too! I'm planning to get there at 6am ish on Monday, boards edged with foil and taped into two half roof sections, camp danger style, and 3 2-panel wall sections. However, for various reasons, I won't have had the chance to do a test erection (insert cheap gag here) first.

I have 6x 1/2 inch rebar, 6x 3/8 rebar, all 3' in length. I've also got 100ft of poly rope rated to 244lb. I've watched all of the videos re. design and construction, but haven't come across much info on the best way to anchor the thing down. I know about making the anchor points with the bi-fil tape and a length of plastic tube, but wondered if anybody could offer last minute advice about the practicalities...

• Rope halo vs bi-fil anchors. Which is best, or both?
• Does rebar need to be candy-cained, driven in at an angle, or something else?
• Any advice on the best knots to use for the rope?
• Will rope rated at 244lbs be sufficient?

Also, what happens if the "breeze" is blowing when I get there. Is it just best to sit it out until is completely wind free?

Thanks
Wicky

Postby lucky420 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:15 pm

sounds good on your rebar and rope. I've never candy cained but drive my rebar into the ground at a slight angle away from the yurt.

Knots are always a mystery to me, i always seem to fuck it up and have to retie. but between my daughter and I we get it done. I'm planning to drive a piece of rebar in the ground at my house and practice tying knots. there is a simple and effedtive way to tie, I can just never remember it.

I use the bi-fil anchors because that is the "original way" and I've never learned the halo.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby otakup0pe » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Wicky wrote:Also, what happens if the "breeze" is blowing when I get there. Is it just best to sit it out until is completely wind free?

When we did our test build in Alameda there was maybe a 5mph breeze. I wouldn't want to build it with any more than that.

I'm starting to think I went overkill on my 1200lb rated rope. But that's not a bad thing :mrgreen:
otakup0pe

Postby Jyman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:21 am

Hey what thickness Plywood do you use to transport the stack? 1/2"? 3/4"? I noticed this stuff adds some serious weight
Jyman

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Wicky » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:05 pm

lucky420 wrote:sounds good on your rebar and rope. I've never candy cained but drive my rebar into the ground at a slight angle away from the yurt.

Knots are always a mystery to me, i always seem to fuck it up and have to retie. but between my daughter and I we get it done. I'm planning to drive a piece of rebar in the ground at my house and practice tying knots. there is a simple and effedtive way to tie, I can just never remember it.

I use the bi-fil anchors because that is the "original way" and I've never learned the halo.

Thanks Lucky. One last question (hopefully)... I'm going with the side hinged, rounded corners, camp danger style door: http://bit.ly/O9aHIl. Any thoughts on a closing mechanism? Bungee?

Thanks
Wicky

Postby clocksnmirrors » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:54 pm

yay!!! just finished adding my windows all the way around.

now my big challenge is building the truck rack to mount this whole shebang

anyone with an F150 got any tips?
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby lucky420 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:27 pm

doors meh, I'm not so good at

I'm just probably going to jerry-rig some tape hindges on the playa
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby otakup0pe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Wicky wrote:Thanks Lucky. One last question (hopefully)... I'm going with the side hinged, rounded corners, camp danger style door: http://bit.ly/O9aHIl. Any thoughts on a closing mechanism? Bungee?

I used a gate latch for our door. We'll bolt it on once we are out there. Insides of all bolt holes are covered in foil tape so no moop should escape.

Backup plan is : more tape.
otakup0pe

Postby Wicky » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:22 pm

otakup0pe wrote:Backup plan is : more tape.

I hear ya!

I've decided to go with Camp Danger mitered door, with a side hinge and magnets to latch. It's bound to work fine... first time... with absolutely no trouble :?

Where are you guys gonna be on the playa? I'd like to swing by and say thanks for all the advice in person.
Wicky

Postby lucky420 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Im' at 4 & F with to Dye with Dignity in Barbie Death CAmp

look for the yurt :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby Wicky » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:00 pm

lucky420 wrote:Im' at 4 & F with to Dye with Dignity in Barbie Death CAmp

look for the yurt :lol:

Cool. See ya there at some point.
Wicky

Postby clocksnmirrors » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:39 pm

lucky420 wrote:i use rebar as is. I don't candy cane them but do cover them with funoodles and secured stuffed animals.

why would you need to sharpen them?

i heard it's easier to hammer it in if it's sharpened to a point.

do you use anything special to hold it so you can hammer in at an angle? i'm a little concerned about how to do this since i'm holding the rebar and hammering myself.... this seems so improbable...don't know how this is supposed to work

i mean i can see hammering it straight down, but a 45 degree angle must take two sets of hands?
clocksnmirrors

Postby lucky420 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:41 pm

oh you don't need a 45 degree angle. Just start it straight and start angling a little until you reach a good angle.

Can you practice at home somewhere first?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby clocksnmirrors » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:46 pm

i could practice in my yard, but the soil is so soft i figured it wouldn't really be like the real thing

i think i remember reading that once you get a couple of inches down the playa gets pretty hard to work through
clocksnmirrors

Postby lucky420 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:21 pm

use a sledge hammer. It's really not that bad and there will most likely be someone around that you can ask for help... People like to help out and it's a great way to meet neighbors and reciprocate later if you can
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby clocksnmirrors » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:19 am

lucky420 wrote:use a sledge hammer. It's really not that bad and there will most likely be someone around that you can ask for help... People like to help out and it's a great way to meet neighbors and reciprocate later if you can

thanks!!!

time to pack the truck :lol:

see you out there!!!!!
clocksnmirrors

Postby loveNrespect » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi Hexa-experts

Question about air filters in the windows:
Should I just put in the whole airfilter as is(found some small 14"x14" ones),
or do people disassemble them and use only one layer of the "cloth" and tape/velcro that over the window?

thanks!
loveNrespect

Postby lucky420 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:19 pm

i haven't used the filters but from photos it looks like they just tape the whole thing on there
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby slvrnmph » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:07 pm

I have done it both ways. It can kind of be a pain to disassemble them because the cardboard that crosses over the front and back is usually glued to the filter part. Just make sure you tape them to the outside so you can still put the cut outs back in place to seal the windows when it's really dusty or during the day if you want to block light out to sleep.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph

Burning Since: 2005

Postby otakup0pe » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Just packed our playa home into the storage locker for the next elven and a half months. Had an amazing time - so glad we decided to go with a hexayurt. The six playa staples held like rocks. They were imposible to remove with vice grips but levering with a piece of rebar was a snap.

Even without a swamp cooler it was amazingly cool. Interesting how big a difference clean air filters made. Already have a list of improvements for next year...
otakup0pe

Postby A Jester » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:19 pm

My six foot hexayurt was awesome, too. FSK tape (second year) held on fine. Used a rope halo, no tape anchors, no problem. Actually, the rope halo only had five stakes, because I couldn't find a good spot for the one in the front, and then some windy times later I decided I didn't need it.

Still working on a great door handle.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby clocksnmirrors » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:20 pm

A Jester wrote:My six foot hexayurt was awesome, too. FSK tape (second year) held on fine. Used a rope halo, no tape anchors, no problem. Actually, the rope halo only had five stakes, because I couldn't find a good spot for the one in the front, and then some windy times later I decided I didn't need it.

Still working on a great door handle.

rope halo all the way!! worked awesome. felt safe
clocksnmirrors

Postby Ratty » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:27 pm

nevermind
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby CarrieSnarf » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:42 pm

Okay,

So I am seriously considering the hexayurt for 2013. I have been reading about them for an embarrassing amount of the day. So here comes my question.
Has anyone ever done the Camp Danger folding technique http://www.appropedia.org/Camp_Danger_Hexayurt_Hinge_Technique on a yurt with 8 ft tall walls (i.e. two 4 x 8 panels per wall on their ends)? If so, can you accordian through the middle of the wall, or do you just increase your overall folded footspace?

Thanks
Snarf.
thesammiewagon.blogspot.com
CarrieSnarf

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping