Entry line wait time

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Entry line wait time

Postby organizedchaos » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi guys,

I have never arrived at the line for the gate when the gates open. This year, I am with a caravan that is attempting to leave Reno at just the right time to arrive at the gates at 6:00PM.

Can anyone tell me their experience with this? What time do you leave? Is there a major amount of traffic that will slow you down coming up the highway before you hit the line?

Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question!
The answer is never no.
organizedchaos

Re: Entry line wait time

Postby maladroit » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:44 pm

You will wait so very long, unless you're so very lucky (and you aren't).
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby organizedchaos » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Sorry, let me clarify... that is not my question.

My question is more to the effect that I would like to time my departure appropriately so that I do not end up getting there too quickly and needing to pull over or getting placed in D lot. So I am asking for veteran burners experience with this, who typically arrive when the gate opens.

Thanks for the snark though :D
The answer is never no.
organizedchaos

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:49 pm

It's not a stupid question...but there are variables that make it hard to nail down an answer. Most folks coming to the event are coming in from the south...Reno, etc. There's only one two-lane road. Normally the driving time from Reno would be about 2-3 hours, but with all the traffic and the bottlenecks, and, God forbid, an accident, that could be 3-4 hours or more....just to get to Gerlach.

OK...so if you time your arrival to be at the Gate at 6 PM, you're going to be jammed in with several thousand others that have the same idea. Last year we got to Gate a little after 6 and it took us about 5-6 hours to finally get inside.

But, look at it as value added...it's part of the process. You'll get to slow down, get out and stretch, mingle, meets others...enjoy the freak show. Monday's not going to be any better altho there may be a bit of a slow down around sunrise...but not much. There's no way to crack this code unless you're willing to wait until Tuesday or later...but who wants to do that? Just go for it!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Boijoy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:50 pm

Reno to the gate is approx a 3 hour ride. Probably a little longer with traffic. Im not sure how long it takes once you hit the line.
I've heard stories of 6 0r 7 hours?? Be sure to put snacks & water in your car. & some sort of potty container isn't a bad idea either.
& please don't drive tired.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby organizedchaos » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Got it, so we'll plan to leave around 3, thank you very much :)

I've let all of my caravan know... plan to have your goggles, dust masks, snacks, and probably even pee bottles at hand for the wait. Especially since I saw those reports about the sunset white outs which might close the gate.
The answer is never no.
organizedchaos

Return to Transportation